Proposed Extension of School Day

barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
just heard on the local news that the large school district near us (not the one our son attends) is proposing extending the school day by 30 minutes for elementary, and 6 minutes for middle/high starting school year 2015-2016. their reasoning is that as compared to other states, kids in our state (on average) attend fewer academic hours.

it's been a few years, but I recall some discussion here about school day length and if I remember correctly, back then my kids seemed to be attending as many if not more hours than their counterparts in other states. that said.........................

what state do you live in? is you child in elementary or high school? how many "academic hours" per day do they attend (from beginning of first class-not including zero hour where it's not required-to the end of the day minus any breaks/recess/lunch)? I'm curious to see where my district as well as the neighboring stack up.

I'll start-Washington state

my district-elementary 6.10 academic hours per day/high school-6.14
neighboring district-elementary 5.30 academic hours per day/high school 6.0
our former California district-elementary 5.25 hours per day/high school 5.51.

barkley said:
just heard on the local news that the large school district near us (not the one our son attends) is proposing extending the school day by 30 minutes for elementary, and 6 minutes for middle/high starting school year 2015-2016. their reasoning is that as compared to other states, kids in our state (on average) attend fewer academic hours.

it's been a few years, but I recall some discussion here about school day length and if I remember correctly, back then my kids seemed to be attending as many if not more hours than their counterparts in other states. that said.........................

what state do you live in? is you child in elementary or high school? how many "academic hours" per day do they attend (from beginning of first class-not including zero hour where it's not required-to the end of the day minus any breaks/recess/lunch)? I'm curious to see where my district as well as the neighboring stack up.

I dont know how long my kids have for lunch or pe or recess, but I do know that the elementary school starts at 730 and lets out at 205. The middle school at 759 to 315 and highschool from 745 to 315.

Middle and high school don't usually get recess--occasionally as a reward. Elementary it's about 20 minutes and not every day.

North Carolina now requires 1,025 instruction hours over 185 days. That averages to 5.54 per day

Requirements for PA:

450 (2.5 hours/day) for half-time pre-K and kindergarten, 900 (5 hours/day) for full-time pre-K and kindergarten and elementary, and 990 (5/5 hours/day) for secondary.

As for my actual district, I don't feel like doing the math. :rotfl2:

I dont know how long my kids have for lunch or pe or recess, but I do know that the elementary school starts at 730 and lets out at 205. The middle school at 759 to 315 and highschool from 745 to 315.

Middle and high school don't usually get recess--occasionally as a reward. Elementary it's about 20 minutes and not every day.

Same here I have no clue about lunch times, breaks etc. I know they get recess every day in elementary school. So maybe 40/45 minutes combined with lunch? No recess for High School and lunch is 25 minutes.

Elementary school (K-6) starts at 8:30 and gets out at 3. High School (7-12) starts at 7:30 and gets out at 2:15.

I'm wondering if one of the issues impacting this is how some of the neighboring school districts structure their staff development days.

our district has one late start per month (2 hours) and one full day off per school year for this purpose. one of the districts we live closest to does staff development EVERY Friday with a 2 hour late start in addition to at least one full day per year-so those kids are losing much more instructional time.

The high school where I teach has 6 hours and 45 minutes daily of instruction time and a 25 minute lunch break. Kids are in school from 7:45-3:05.

My youngest goes 7:55 to 2:55. Not really sure what the hours are at the MS.

In our district (not sure if this is state-wide or or just by district), the school day is 7 hours long for elementary and about 7 hours and 10 minutes long for both middle school and high school.

barkley said:

In NM - 6.6 hours for elementary and middle school is 6.9 hrs.

In OK elementary was 6.75.

In CO elementary was 6.6 hrs. High school 7.25 hrs.

We're military and move around a lot lol.

Elementary: 7:45-2:25. I think lunch is 30 minutes and recess is 15.
Middle: 8:50-3:50. I think lunch + "community time" is 40-45 minutes.
High: 7:45-3:05. I don't know about lunch but I'd guess it's around 25-30 minutes.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;51440389]The high school where I teach has 6 hours and 45 minutes daily of instruction time and a 25 minute lunch break. Kids are in school from 7:45-3:05.[/QUOTE]

my daughter's high school hours are 7:30 to 1:55. 25 (I think) minutes for lunch, 3 7 minute passing times in between classes (there are 4 which are 84 minutes long each)

Elementary schools in our district vary. k-2 schools go from 9:05-3:30, 3rd-5th grade schools are from 8:55 to 3:20

middle schools are 8:00-2:25

Legally they have to go for 180 days, and there has to be a total of at least 900 hours of instructional time. In the case of a shortened day (for staff development, the day before a holiday, weather related early close or late opening, etc) the day has to be at least 4 hours long to count as one of the 180 days of school.

My kids go from first bell at 830 until dismissal at 3...lunch/recess is from 11:45 - 12:25. So 20 minutes for each.

So in class time is 5.75 hours a day? I think my math is right on that one?

The public schools around here are:

Elementary - 915 - 345.
MS - 745 - 215
HS - 815 - 245

I'm in Eastern Washington. Next year our SD is going to 2 different start times at our high school. 7 AM and 10 AM, but you can also choose 8 & 9 as start times. It's ridiculous. My son will be in high school next year and he may not get out of school until 5PM depending on when his first class starts. Every Monday is 1 late start MLSD is not on my nice list.

barkley said:
I'm wondering if one of the issues impacting this is how some of the neighboring school districts structure their staff development days.

our district has one late start per month (2 hours) and one full day off per school year for this purpose. one of the districts we live closest to does staff development EVERY Friday with a 2 hour late start in addition to at least one full day per year-so those kids are losing much more instructional time.

Our district doesn't have a lot of staff development days. Maybe 2 total during the school year where school is closed. Those are tacked onto the end of Christmas break or another holiday. I guess they get them in before school starts. There are occasions during the school year when it seems all of the English teachers have subs for meetings. So maybe not all teachers have their development days on the same day. And they get substitutes for specific subject areas instead of missing a whole day of school.

In N. Cal

At our elementary school the hours are 8:15-2:30 for K-3 and 8:15-2:45 for 4-6 - except Wed when everybody is 8:15-1:30 (staff development). I think lunch/recess is 40 mins combined, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm in Eastern Washington. Next year our SD is going to 2 different start times at our high school. 7 AM and 10 AM, but you can also choose 8 & 9 as start times. It's ridiculous. My son will be in high school next year and he may not get out of school until 5PM depending on when his first class starts. Every Monday is 1 late start MLSD is not on my nice list.

is that medical lake school district (I'm on the east side as well)?

how on earth will the school handle this transportation wise? I also imagine it would be a nightmare as far as snow days (we've gotten a handful where the kids ended up going in only to get a mid morning release-so are they going to have to do a round of early release calls along with another round for full snow day cancellation for the later attending kids?):faint: I would hate to be administering that (esp. when it comes to the built in snow days-if some kids have had full day cancellations while others haven't will the ones who have need to attend on the built in days????). crazy:hyper::hyper:

I didn't realize how different the neighboring school districts were on days and hours of attendance until recently-my son will be attending New Tech in Spokane partial days beginning next year, so he will be operating on one schedual for regular classes in his district, and a second for New Tech which follows Spokane's:faint:

Our district doesn't have a lot of staff development days. Maybe 2 total during the school year where school is closed. Those are tacked onto the end of Christmas break or another holiday. I guess they get them in before school starts. There are occasions during the school year when it seems all of the English teachers have subs for meetings. So maybe not all teachers have their development days on the same day. And they get substitutes for specific subject areas instead of missing a whole day of school.

here if it's a full staff development day the whole student population is off. for the late start staff development days the busses run on a 2 hour delay.

it's not bad for people in our district-only once a month, I don't know how 2 parent employed families in the district that does it every Friday manage it (normally that bus picks up around 7:20, every friday it's 9:20):confused3

We're in SC and elementary goes from 8-2:30 with 15 minutes for lunch and 15 minutes for recess. So they get 6 hours of instructional time a day. Middles schools are 8:30-3 and high schools are 9-3:45 but I'm not sure how the days breakdown on those levels.

Our district only has 3 staff development days...2 in October and 2 in January. Any other days that they are out of school are holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter