Pros and cons of a split stay

jecon

Mouseketeer
Haven't done a split stay in 20 years but considering it for next May - BC two nights and GF for five. Has anyone done that lately? Pros? Cons? Thanks!

We do split stays frequently (actually have one in June pofq and bwv). We usually do them for an even number of nights (no fewer than 3 and 3). To me the main downside would be packing after two nights- would frustrated? We think disney makes it so easy to transfer that it's hardly any work at all.

Another downside is that Disney is terrible at setting up dme transfers with split stays. In the last three years we've done six split stays and Disney has never gotten our dme correct- be prepared to make several phone calls, especially if you have multiple rooms.

Make sure to put the resort you think you'll like more second so that you're not disappointed with the end resort.

We love split stays as they allow us to experience the magic from a couple of different perspectives and makes the trip more enjoyable for us!

I agree with PP that it is a good idea to have at least 3 nights at each, it's hard to move after only 2 nights. Our next trip we are doing 4 nights at the Poly and 6 nights at BC.

We do it to enjoy 2 very different resorts and to cut down on transportation. We do what is close to the resort we are staying at.

All Disney is great, but I also agree with PP that you want to move up not down. We think we are moving to an equally great resort so we avoid any sense of disappointment. On another trip we went from POR to BW and that worked nicely too.

We do split stays frequently (actually have one in June pofq and bwv). We usually do them for an even number of nights (no fewer than 3 and 3). To me the main downside would be packing after two nights- would frustrated? We think disney makes it so easy to transfer that it's hardly any work at all.

Another downside is that Disney is terrible at setting up dme transfers with split stays. In the last three years we've done six split stays and Disney has never gotten our dme correct- be prepared to make several phone calls, especially if you have multiple rooms.

Make sure to put the resort you think you'll like more second so that you're not disappointed with the end resort.

We love split stays as they allow us to experience the magic from a couple of different perspectives and makes the trip more enjoyable for us!

We have never done a split stay. I would love to, but I cannot figure out how to make it work. We have the Free dining BB & need to purchase a minimum of a 2 day park ticket. Would love to stay at WL too. Currently staying at POFQ for 8 nights. Please let me know how this works. Thanks.

jecon said:
Haven't done a split stay in 20 years but considering it for next May - BC two nights and GF for five. Has anyone done that lately? Pros? Cons? Thanks!

I love split stays. We usually split between two areas. For example, on our next trip. Will be BC and the Contemporary. We will concentrate on Epcot/DHS/AK when we are at the BC and do the MK when we are at the CR. it is refreshing to switch locales, we get excited to have a new room, new pool, and new views.

We usually do not unpack. We keep the clean clothes in the suitcase and throw the dirty into a laundry bag. When it's time to move, all you have to do is chuck the laundry bag back into the case and go. Not hard. Clean and dirty are separate.

The second thing is that you can switch from a package to a room only or vice versa. We love to have the dining plan for the first half and then do Club Level for the second half. (You buy only one set of tickets for the whole trip.)

I think splits also benefit people who want to try a new resort without having to commit an entire vacation to a new resort. You can stay for a few nights and decide if you would try it for longer on the next trip.

Those are just a few ideas about split stays.

We would like to do a split stay but we do use the magic express. That would worry me if they didnt have to set to pick us up at the right resort :eek: When do you have to call to make sure they have it right and who do you call ?

We do split stays quite frequently. I like the split stays because you get the opportunity to stay in more than one resort (they are all so different from one another that we like checking them out). Another reason we like split stays is based on convenience to the parks. We will usually split between BWV or BCV and BLT. That way we can walk to Epcot, HS and MK, plus to take advantage of the monorail resort restaurants.

We LOVE split stays!!! Our fave is CR/BCV, being able to walk to parks is amazing! You simply pack up and ask bell services to move it to new resort, go to a park, and then around check in time or whenever you are ready, head over to your new resort. LOVE IT!! Also, no hassle with ME, we booked it on the front end and called a day or so before our departure and asked to be added.

Split stays are a great way to try new resorts. Have fun!

My DH and I were literally just discussing this. We are staying at OKW in July, our first trip to WDW. We are DVC, and stayed a week at Aulani, and two 2 day stays at GCV. He says a split stay would not allow us time to get the feel for one resort. The example he gave was our 2 days we just took to GCV, and how we barely got to enjoy the pool.

Our goal is to eventually stay at every resort, and I was suggesting that we do 3 days at one, 3 days at another. He is not interested. We do like to enjoy a resort, so I can see his POV.

We would like to do a split stay but we do use the magic express. That would worry me if they didnt have to set to pick us up at the right resort :eek: When do you have to call to make sure they have it right and who do you call ?

It's easy and no worries at all. Just got the Disney line at least a few weeks before you leave and they will set it all up. It's no work or problem at all.

When doing a split stay, how does the buying park tickets work out?? We normally book a package with dining. If you are staying at a resort for 3 days then switching do you only buy 3 park tickets?? I like to buy 6 and get the cheaper price for more days I buy. :confused3

My top 4 reasons for not doing split stays:

1) finding my room - I get lost easy and on my last trip it took 3 days to figure out the shortest way to the pool, food court and bus stop.

2) unpacking and packing back up and unpacking and then having to repack when it is time to go home. I'd much rather unpack once and be done with it.

3) I like to spend part of a day enjoying the resort a couple of times. I'd feel like I was too busy dealing with all of the changes to really enjoy the resort.

4) My trips are too short - to me it doesn't make sense to switch resorts for a trip that is less than 7 days.

For our first trip we couldnt decide between resorts so we just split the trip! Problem solved.

We tried a value (AoA) and a moderate (POR). We've decided we prefer moderates.

Our next trip we will do another split stay - POR and BC. It's not in our budget to do a full 9 days at BC so we'll split with POR and end at BC. I cant wait to walk to Epcot!

We don't like packing up and moving in the middle of the trip. It feels like we lose a day, but there are 6 of us including 4 kids, so we have a lot of, um, stuff ;)

Off to BCV for 10 nights tomorrow morning!!! Woohoo!!!!!

We are currently planning our 1st trip for next May, and I am very interested in a split stay. 4 nights at AoA & 5 nights at YC are the plan.

I hear more and more people doing this, for me I would find that so annoying to have to pack everything up and check in all over again, I mean unless I'm saving a significant amount of money I guess but people have done it and seem to enjoy the variety :)

How does it work if you are offered a room-only discount? We are planning a January trip, in years past they have offered a room only discount for 5+ nights (we will stay 7). Do I have to book 5/2 or could I do 4/3? Thanks!

We've done a split stay 3-4 times. When we stay 7+ days, we like to experience another resort because we have a hard time just picking one.

We have done it with a small child.

Never lost anything between resorts. Bell service picks up in the am and when we go to the next resort in the afternoon we are our stuff.

It makes us clean up our room.

This way you double your pool and dining options.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter