Pros and Cons of Disneyland hotels

Are you a Disneyworld person that is used to the Disney bubble? It isn't so much whether the hotels are good or not, as whether you want to stay in the Disney bubble. The outside area around the good neighbor hotels and the crowds out there when you walk to DL/CA can be a bit jarring when you are really used to the Disney bubble. When you stay at the Disney resorts at DLR, you can remain inside the bubble.

We are longtime WDW vets that started going to DLR pretty much every year. The DLR hotels are really pricey-- several years ago we were shocked that 4 nights at DLR cost about the same as 7 or 8 nights at a deluxe at WDW. DH always thought we should try a good neighbor hotel instead of the DLH. We did Hawaii one year, and had planned to stop at DLR for a couple of nights after Aulani to break up the time change, but due to a tropical storm, wound up leaving Hawaii and coming in a day early. The DLR resorts were all full so we stayed at a good neighbor-- the hotel itself was fine - staff was great, room clean and with some cute Disney theming. After one day of dealing with the crowds on the streets and the long security lines on that side of the park outside the Disney bubble - DH said he would not complain about the extra cost of the DLR resorts again. I think they are fine if you have not been spoiled by the WDW bubble.

Since you are doing a few days before and a couple of days after your trip, maybe you could do one part at a DLR resort and one part good neighbor?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that really the only "perk" you get with your Disney hotel stay is...30 minutes of early entry. And you're paying a LOT to get that extra 30 minutes.

Remember also that there are SEVERAL hotels on Harbor Blvd. that are closer to the actual park gates than the Disneyland Hotel and PPH, available for a lot less money.

It also depends on how much time you realistically expect to spend in the room. If the room is just a place to sleep, staying on site is a waste of money IMO. If having the nicer amenities is important to you, and you WILL use them, that might make an on-site stay more appealing. Given that you only have three days, I imagine you'll want to spend as much time as possible in the park, which (when coupled with wanting to save money for Aulani) would push me towards recommending staying off site. Don't fixate on the 'Good Neighbor' label-it's purely for marketing and says nothing about the actual quality of the hotel, so there are perfectly nice hotels that aren't Good Neighbor hotels and mediocre or worse hotels that are good neighbor.

I don't feel like you'll miss anything by staying onsite. I've never stayed on property at Disneyland and have never felt like I got a lesser experience because of it.
There are things in your post that I totally agree with, but some that I don't agree with at all. It's simply not true that the only real perk you get staying on site is 30 min of early entry. I don't even bother with early entry but I love the other perks, particularly not having to cross any streets or leave the resort. I love the theming, open spaces, dining options, pools and other amenities. There are activities and little touches that you won't find off site. To me, the ONLY reason to choose off site is to keep the costs in check. I never stayed on site until well into my adulthood because it was not in my budget when I was younger.

I don't think you can accurately claim that you don't miss anything by not staying on site if you haven't actually stayed on site, but it's certainly true that staying off site doesn't mean you won't have a fabulous trip.

We normally stay at on property either at the GC or DLH (we are DVC members and alternate between Florida and DL). Last year after Covid we did 2 trips to DL - first one was a Spring Break trip but the prices at both the GC and DLH were outrageous - we couldn't justify it. So we stayed at the JW Marriot. It was OK - but my husband and I both said we wouldn't bother again if were not staying on property. Again we like being in the bubble and the walk to the hotel just seems that much further when you are not on property for some reason.

Our next trip we stayed at the DLH and I can honestly say those extra 30 mins were totally worth it for us. We were amazed how much we got done in the morning. We could use those 30 mins to do a couple of headliner rides and then (since once the park is open everyone goes for those rides) we could walk on all the others. Done by 10 and ready for a day at the pool and then back to the parks in the evening for dinner and shows etc. It was so relaxing.

So I guess it just depends on your style of vacation. We love Disney for the atmosphere and appreciate it more as the years go on. I am happiest when in the bubble, since it is not just about the parks for us.

I feel this post - DL trip the first weekend in August. DL Hotel was sold out.. and the GCH was so overpriced for what it is I just couldn't. I've always stayed at the GCH w/ the occasional night at DL. and even when we went to Disneyland Paris last summer we stayed on property.

This trip we're staying at the JW Marriott. Kids are teenagers so walking isn't a problem. I just don't think 30 min early entry is worth it for almost $800 a night at the GCH. I love the hotel but not that much.

Big decision for us is what time to leave our hotel to get through security etc and line up for the rope drop
We really like the JW! We went in June and stayed at the Wyndham Worldmark (next door to JW) and we left around 7:15 every morning and we’re able to make rope drop. We certainly were not in the front of the pack for rope drop, but still there in time. Lol. So maybe leave around 7 or slightly earlier.

We did not walk to the parks. We walked over to the Toy Story lot and used the free shuttles to the parks. If you go in the morning, you go through security at Toy Story and bypass security at the harbor entrance. They have security at Toy Story until 11am. We usually either didn’t have to wait for a bus at all, Or only waited for one bus at Toy Story. It saved our feet!

Was the security lines long near DLH?

In my experience, the security near DLH is usually much faster to enter DTD compared to security at the GCH to enter DTD to get to the Disneyland gates. The DLH side has much more lanes. But I haven’t been there super early for the EE (I’m usually there well before 8am, but not before 7am typically) Maybe they don’t have all the lanes open at that time? The line at the grand can be crazy long to enter DTD and I always wonder why they don’t open the gate near world of Disney to accommodate more people to go through security faster.

I also think that the DLH -> DTD security is faster.

The security line from the GCH into DTD should have three people going through bags and two walk through machines. The far right side has two bag checkers and the left has just one, making it faster if you stay to the right. Sometimes, they only have two bag checkers (one on each side), and that slows things down significantly.

Good to know! I guess I was just assuming the security would be faster coming straight in from GCH because I couldn't imagine anything worse than what we experienced!

Good to know! I guess I was just assuming the security would be faster coming straight in from GCH because I couldn't imagine anything worse than what we experienced!
What was your experience? I’d love to hear. You can pm me if you prefer. ☺️

Yes - we walked to the Toy Story lot a few times from the JW and also used it back to the parking lot when our 8yr old was complaining at the end of the day, it was a good option (especially with little kids etc). Was nice to get security out of the way before you arrive. We have never found security to be an issue at the DLH or GC to get into Downtown Disney. In fact I have never found security an issue anywhere at Disneyland or World - I am sure there is the odd time it is bonkers, but for the most part, I find they are always pretty efficient and I am happy to wait a couple of minutes to ensure that we are all safe in the parks.

We’ve stayed at the Hyatt House, which is kitty-corner to the back of DCA, and if I was paying money I’d never stay anywhere else. Early entry has very little value IMO, it’s not like WDW where the entire world is there by 9AM. Californians are way more chill. You may need to buy an ILL for RSR because you won’t beat the EE rope drop crowd, but that’s not $600 every night.

The very close hotels are mostly motels but they’ve built some very brand new ones on S. Manchester. Then the Hyatt House is maybe 7 years old and the Hotel Indigo on Katella slightly older than that.

We like the Hyatt house because it has a Walgreens, a Blaze pizza and a REAL Starbucks all in the building. 15 minutes to get from the room to the entry gate if security is quick, shorter than the walk from Grand Floridian to MK or from Boardwalk to DHS.

We are staying at Grand Cal on DVC points in January, but I expect to be proudly slumming it again soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter