Pros and Cons of GF Ground Floor?

katemcgowan1

Earning My Ears
I am looking for any anecdotal pros or cons of being on the ground floor at the Grand Floridian. I'm staying Outer Building - Garden View. I generally like to stay on the ground floor, but my experiences are limited to value and moderate resorts. I have never stayed in a balcony/patio deluxe resort, let alone the GF. :)
Thanks!

When we stay at BLT, it isn't preferred though-the higher floors offer better views. However at other resorts like to request ground floor rooms. My father loves sitting on the patio and you feel like you can spread out more and enjoy the space. We had a dormer room-top floor of Conch Key one time and it was crazy claustrophobic and the balcony was totally covered in so you had to stand up to get a view of the grounds and water. We spend an ample amount of time at the room, my mom has chronic pain and arthritis so she needs naps and rest. Also helpful not to have to wait for an elevator or walk up stairs with her each time you go back to the room.

Cons: The biggest con is depending on your room location-if your room is in a high traffic area guests may be walking by all the time looking at you and in your room. A little less privacy, but luckily we have curtains. Beach and Yacht Club we prefer a room up off the ground floor because many rooms around the quiet pool area are high traffic areas and people are constantly in and out making noise. Most of the Grand Floridian buildings are quiet on their lagoon facing sides, but near the pool and marina walkways they are more foot trafficked and work carts drive around. The new fast food place at the Polynesian quiet pool created some noise during the day due to the dumpster being filled frequently, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.

Last year at the Yacht Club, we received a ground floor room. We had a patio which overlooked a creek and woods. It was wonderful to see the large white birds (heron type), rabbits and ducks. It was very private. If we looked to the far right we were close to the sidewalk where you can reach the BWI and Atlantic Dance Club. The room was located at the very end of the resort. It was a long walk to the lobby but it was fun to try a ground floor location for a change. This is the first time we have been on the ground floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter