Pros and cons of various resale sites

There's a sticky post where this is explained. Only the sponsors of this board can be mentioned, their competitors are filtered out.

This is absolutely NOT true, There Are several businesses that can be posted and discussed on this board,

That is the opposite of what the sticky says.
That's how I read it the first time when I was trying to figure out while everything is blocked. Maybe there are non-sponsors allowed too? In the sticky I'm looking at there are only a few sites listed, and most/all? of them are sponsors. I don't know all the sponsors, but I know in threads like this all most sites get blocked.
I really have no issue with this, not complaining, just trying to explain to the poster that there is an explanation for this.

"We do welcome discussion of DIS advertisers/sponsors as well as other businesses that you have information or questions about. When suggesting competitors of any DIS sponsor or advertiser, please just post a link to the website for that business. The link will serve as a useful means for others to find that site. In the event that the link is replaced in part (or in whole) by ***, it simply means that the site word filter has been allowed to do it's job properly. Please don't attempt to bypass the intent of the filter by creatively trying to post links or other information about that site or business."

Anyway, I edited my post. I guess I misunderstood. I understand why reasons can't be shared, being a moderator is tough, but TBH I find it confusing the way its worded.

Last edited:
That's how I read it the first time when I was trying to figure out while everything is blocked. Maybe there are non-sponsors allowed too? In the sticky I'm looking at there are only a few sites listed, and most/all? of them are sponsors. I don't know all the sponsors, but I know in threads like this all most sites get blocked.
I really have no issue with this, not complaining, just trying to explain to the poster that there is an explanation for this.

"We do welcome discussion of DIS advertisers/sponsors as well as other businesses that you have information or questions about. When suggesting competitors of any DIS sponsor or advertiser, please just post a link to the website for that business. The link will serve as a useful means for others to find that site. In the event that the link is replaced in part (or in whole) by ***, it simply means that the site word filter has been allowed to do it's job properly. Please don't attempt to bypass the intent of the filter by creatively trying to post links or other information about that site or business."

As long as one posts the link, as stated, then the boards filter does it’s job. As noted, the decision has nothing to do with being or not being a sponsor.

As long as one posts the link, as stated, then the boards filter does it’s job. As noted, the decision has nothing to do with being or not being a sponsor.
Yeah, I get that now that you explained it thanks. That's not how I read it, and the order in the sticky talks about sponsors, then talks about filters, so it reads like they are connected in some way.

There are other non-sponsor sites on that list in the sticky, but in this particular thread most of the sites were filtered out - which led me to think it was the opposite.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why are some words filtered out?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why are some words filtered out?

The DiS is privately owned site and therefore, those that run it have made that choice for a variety of reasons.

It does get updated and even as a mod, we are not always aware ahead of time which is why we always suggest that posting the link is the best way to ensure the rules are followed.

The DiS is privately owned site and therefore, those that run it have made that choice for a variety of reasons.

It does get updated and even as a mod, we are not always aware ahead of time which is why we always suggest that posting the link is the best way to ensure the rules are followed.

IMO, the best way to ensure the rules are followed is to explain them clearly with the reasoning. I've been a moderator on large forums in the past and can't say I've come across this sort of opaque answer in the past.

By not providing an adequate explanation as to why some sites are blocked, it gives me some pause if I should trust the sites that are chosen to be listed.

I do appreciate your reply on the question. :)

it gives me some pause if I should trust the sites that are chosen to be listed.

Its fairly strange sometimes why certain things are blocked around here at times but they are.

If there were issues with sites that can be talked about here you would hear about it though. In the end it doesn't really matter too much because as long as I see they are a legit company and they have the lowest price that is where I am going to buy anyways.

Its fairly strange sometimes why certain things are blocked around here at times but they are.

If there were issues with sites that can be talked about here you would hear about it though. In the end it doesn't really matter too much because as long as I see they are a legit company and they have the lowest price that is where I am going to buy anyways.

For sure. But, as someone that has read this site for a long time, it would be helpful to know what my fellow readers thought of all the sites they used (and wouldn't get in trouble for naming them). It's s private site, so I respect their right to do it.

For sure. But, as someone that has read this site for a long time, it would be helpful to know what my fellow readers thought of all the sites they used (and wouldn't get in trouble for naming them). It's s private site, so I respect their right to do it.
Yes, everything you've said has been a bit confusing to me too. I've been on the DIS for a while but never really noticed the blocked out sites until I spent more time in the DVC section. Specifically with resale sites I'd like to know the reputation before I work with them on a $20k+ purchase. Would be less of an issue if it were a restaurant or more transactional purchase. If its not a bad business practice issue they are blocked for, then it seems like its a sponsorship issue, but that seems not to be the case either. I don't need drama and details, but just a broad reasoning.

I've also been a mod of large boards so I get it that its a lot of work and you can never win. We did not allow negative feedback from individuals, but the mods did compile a "BST at your own risk" list of people/sites that had proven issues. It was transparent and helped avoid the true scammers.

Regardless, it's a private board and the owners/moderators can make that choice. There are many ways to moderate. The DIS is an amazing resource.

If its not a bad business practice issue they are blocked for, then it seems like its a sponsorship issue, but that seems not to be the case either. I don't need drama and details, but just a broad reasoning.
If you think about it, you can probably figure it out. :)

From the DIS posting guidelines:

The advertisers/sponsors who you see on the DIS are carefully chosen. While we welcome discussion of them as well as other businesses that you have information or questions about, if it's determined that you are using the DIS to promote a commercial venture, you will lose your posting privileges. This includes choosing a username that refers to your business, organization, or website. In addition, links to the company's website will be blocked.

If you think about it, you can probably figure it out. :)

From the DIS posting guidelines:

The advertisers/sponsors who you see on the DIS are carefully chosen. While we welcome discussion of them as well as other businesses that you have information or questions about, if it's determined that you are using the DIS to promote a commercial venture, you will lose your posting privileges. This includes choosing a username that refers to your business, organization, or website. In addition, links to the company's website will be blocked.

It's a privately-owned site that gets to make their own rules. It's been incredibly helpful to me over the years, and I don't begrudge Disboards setting rules they're comfortable with. I do my best to support the sponsors of the site. Out of respect for their members, I just think it's better to fully disclose things like this so the community can understand it. If it's not bad, then transparency shouldn't be an issue.

Learned this one that hard way!! I will always post a link going forward.

Think of this as a trip report of sorts. I am looking into buying resale at AKV for a particular Use Year, and am surprised at the variability in the utility of the various websites, so I've listed what I view as pros and cons of each, listed in order of my preference. My favorite site happens to be the current DISboards sponsor, but that was the case before they took that role. This list includes a site that is apparently barred by DIS, but I've kept the pros/cons in case you're a student of usability. 😉 At the bottom is a site that just doesn't get it, IMO. Of course the bottom line is which site has the contract you want, but some of these sites aren't very helpful in that search.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/animal-kingdom-lodge/
Pro:​
All the pertinent info is visible and you can filter by most anything.​
Concise format so many properties can be viewed at once.​
Con:​
Can't set up a URL with filter preferences, other than resort.​
http://www.dvcbyresale.com/?sortDropDown=Resort,+Use+Year
All the pertinent info is visible and you can sort on multiple fields.​
You can set up a URL with your sorting preferences.​
Concise table format so many properties can be viewed at once.​
Can't filter on anything. By resort or availability would be handy.​

https://www.dvcstore.com/animal-kingdom-villas/resales.cfm
All the pertinent info is visible and you can filter by resort.​
Unavailable properties are automatically filtered out.​
Per-resort web page can't sort or filter by use year, or filter by anything.​
(Search page can filter by use year but requires manual entry of min/max points.)​
https://www.**********.com/dvc-resale-listings
All the pertinent info is visible and you can sort on multiple fields.​
Can't filter by resort or set up a URL doing so.​

https://www.fidelityrealestate.com/resort/disney-vacation-club/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge-villas
Key info is visible and you can sort on some fields.​
Unavailable properties are automatically filtered out.​
Can't filter on anything but resort.​
Can't view point availability without drilling down on "Details". 👎

https://www.sellingtimeshares.net/category/listings/disney/animal-kingdom
Can restrict visibility to a single resort or all resorts.​
Can't view property availability without drilling down on "More Info". 👎 👎
Can't view point availability without drilling down on "More Info". 👎 👎
Can't filter anything but resort.​
I like your information, and agree with a lot of the Pros/Cons you have listed.
I have searched through all of the above, and also those who's name shall not be mentioned :),
but on all 3 of my resale purchases, I happened to find the best deal at https://www.fidelityrealestate.com/
Is there a way to explore the average list price by contract size, at each of the resale sites?
I think it might uncover some interesting trends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter