Provide your positive feedback on the Edge

I’m glad that your children loved it, but not all children are the same. They have different needs and preferences. This change is going to be wonderful for some and not so much for others. Experiences aren’t universal.
Nothing is ever perfect for everyone.

Will the counselors know where my child is if I decide to pick him up?
There are kids in the Edge whose parents require them to be picked up. Will your kid follow your rules? The counselor will not keep track of them. Now your kid may not be happy that the other kids can have freedom and he can't, but that's something you'd have to talk to him about.

Will the counselors know where my child is if I decide to pick him up?
You don’t technically pickup from Edge. The kids automatically have in/out privileges. Many activities are “out and about” on the ship. You could require him to stay at the physical Edge space and wait for you, but be aware you may be restricting his participation if you do. I suggest an old/unused cell phone, no plan is necessary as long as it has wifi capability, and load the DCL app.

Whether your kids are in Edge or just old enough to check out of the kid’s club, you need a family plan when separated. Last cruise, my 9 and 11 year olds had to check in on an iPad in the room, telling us where they were going. The Edge counselors knew who my daughter was and were friendly with relaying messages to her if we missed her

I don't think the Edge was around when my oldest was that age but I know my youngest went and loved it. That was when we had to start forcing the kids to come to dinner with us, and when they started preferring cruises over the parks. I think the freedom had a lot to do with it, and the fact they could meet and hang out with other kids on vacation, not just their parents all the time.

One night DH and I had Palo and I remember the only time I saw my then 11 YO that day was when I passed him on the staircase while he was doing a scavenger hunt. He would have stayed there 24/7 if they let him.

I don't think the Edge was around when my oldest was that age but I know my youngest went and loved it. That was when we had to start forcing the kids to come to dinner with us, and when they started preferring cruises over the parks. I think the freedom had a lot to do with it, and the fact they could meet and hang out with other kids on vacation, not just their parents all the time.

One night DH and I had Palo and I remember the only time I saw my then 11 YO that day was when I passed him on the staircase while he was doing a scavenger hunt. He would have stayed there 24/7 if they let him.
This was my kids. They loved it, I do think it has a lot to do with freedom. I think my only complaint about DCL teen clubs is they stay open to late. It makes it hard getting your teen up for a port day.
I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but I think DCL is the only one without a curfew for teens. On Royal and NCL it was 1am.

My son will have just turned 11 and will not be having a phone, but thanks for the info as we now have a decision to make
Some of that depends on the rules that you set in place. Our DD was in the Edge three times last year. We knew she would be okay once she got used to it, but that there might be some adjustment because she LOVED the kids clubs. She never had any issues and enjoyed making friends, playing UNO, doing crafts, singing karaoke, and participating in the scavenger hunts. We never had any issues finding her. She was allowed to participate in activities outside of the Edge or grab an ice cream cone, but our rule was that she needed to be in the Edge otherwise. You will know in the app what activities are happening at all times. So you will know when the kids would be out and about or in the Edge with activities. Oh, and our DD does not have a phone.

Last edited:
My oldest son, now 13, was in Edge last summer prior to turning 12. He was really nervous about going the first night, and to be honest, I forced him. (He is on the spectrum and more of an introvert anyways.) To be honest, he had a lot of fun and made some friends. He enjoyed the scavenger hunt immensely and the other games they had. I wouldn't say he was BFF's with anyone, but he did regularly attend and was there very late the last night of our cruise.

My biggest piece of advice to those a little hesitant about edge is to make sure your child has a phone with both the DCL App loaded on it and WhatsApp, to be able to send messages without needing to buy a Wi-Fi package.

We have found that occasionally the DCL app has some series lag time with Messages getting delivered, so having WhatsApp has been more successful for us

Thanks for mentioning WhatsApp. I hadn't thought of that. We did have some lag on the last cruise and one time I went looking for him in Edge, which I'm sure he was mortified by! LOL!

Just be aware that sometimes scheduled programming does not take place if the kids don’t want to do it, so encourage your child to speak to the Counselors and ask for what they want

My son will have just turned 11 and will not be having a phone, but thanks for the info as we now have a decision to make
You can also teach him how to use the house phones throughout the ship to call your room. Before the DCL app, my family used a whiteboard to leave notes, with the ground rule of stopping by the room to leave a note on whereabouts if not in Edge/Vibe.

Our oldest daughter LOVED the Edge last cruise. So much more so than the kids clubs. She went through stages - loved the nursery, loved the kids clubs (they had IPads with Disney games!), ugh do I have to go to the kids clubs (would rather hang out in the room watching a movie while we go to Palo brunch), to can I go back to the Edge / can I stay until midnight.

She didn't make best friends with anyone, she just enjoyed the activities - she beat some random boy on Smash Brothers and made her night, she played villains-heroes, she got to do the scavenger hunts, etc. She came home with a hat from the club and it was her prized treasure for quite a while. Now we'll see if a year older what she thinks. Middle school years are interesting lol.

We did the take an old iPhone (with no service) and put the Disney app on it to be able to message her - the Disney app worked fine on the Magic last year. She has a phone now for school events and so her younger sister will get the older phone this year. I anticipate a lot of Disney character emojis blasting up my phone -> can't wait for it!

Sorry for the basic question - what are the age breakdowns now for each place? I looked through the posts and only see the change for 12. My kids are over 12 so I was not reading in detail but now wondering if Edge and Vibe also adjusted their age groups? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the basic question - what are the age breakdowns now for each place? I looked through the posts and only see the change for 12. My kids are over 12 so I was not reading in detail but now wondering if Edge and Vibe also adjusted their age groups? Thanks in advance.

No changes for Vibe it is14-17. Edge is 11-14 and Oceaneers is 3-10

Reactions: ngl
Your kids are fine

Reactions: ngl
My son seemed to prefer Edge to Vibe if that helps. (Of course Lab/Club is the best, lol).

We also did the wipe board communication thing before phones. He was allowed to roam if the activity required it. Otherwise he needed to leave me a note as to where he was (he got ice cream and watched movies, pretty much). My main rule was don't go in anyone else's room, don't let anyone in our room - public spaces only.

Also, my son is going to be 16 on our next cruise and we still go play at the club and lab during open houses. So it's not like they can never go again. I've sat in there and colored during open houses. We've played games, and it's not a cruise until I've gone down the Slinky slide or flown the Millennium Falcon (ship depending) and I'm supposedly a grown woman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter