PSA for anyone interested in Squid Game

Why would you watch anything dubbed unless the voice actors are amazing, which is really rare?
I have become addicted to watching TV with my iPad. Looking up things discussed during the show or plot lines I didn’t follow.

I am mostly listening rather than watching. It would do me no good to listen to a show in Korean.

I am so glad to have found a thread on this show. I just discovered it last weekend, watched the whole thing over two days, and been thinking about it ever since.

I watched it with dubbed voices, only because that's how the first episode began and I didn't bother to change it to subtitles. But I may go back and rewatch it differently now.

It is absolutely NOT my kind of show. But I was hooked. Can't wait to watch it again, and see if I can pick up on cues along the way that subtly reveal the surprise ending.

Why would you watch anything dubbed unless the voice actors are amazing, which is really rare?
I've watched a number of foreign language shows, and while I agree listening to the original language with English subtitles is preferred, if I'm doing something else, having the words in English means I can still follow the story without watching the screen. 90% of the time I keep the original language, but there's some times I'll turn on the dubbed audio.

I've been meaning to see it, the production design alone makes it stand out. Thus far the only Korean suspense I've seen has been I Saw the Devil, which I recommend!

I just finished episode 5 last night. My audio defaulted to Korean with English [CC]. I’ve read that the closed captioning is closer to what is being said in the English dub. Dubs sometimes take more liberties due to trying to time the dialogue to the action. I changed it to regular English subtitles (not CC). In case anyone is hoping for a slightly more accurate translation. I always prefer to watch in the native language with subs as I’m a very visual person and it forces me to pay attention. I also feel like having the original voice acting makes a huge difference in understanding the underlying emotion of the scene.

I have two more shows... Does anyone else who is watching dubbed, think Front Man ( black mask leader ) sounds and looks like a version of Kylo-Ren? and the lead sounds more like Bruce Willis.. I might switch over to subtitles tonight.. I also had it dubbed and with subtitles.. OMG the two are totally off! Like at often two completly different sentences.

I loved the old guy in the first game.. He wasnt phased and actually played the game well. Was funny to watch.

I think I might eventually start a squid game spoiler alert thread, dd18 is watching it at college and I can’t wait until she is finished.

My soon to be 13 year old DS wants to watch this. I said no cause I haven’t … and reviews were mixed online some saying yes others no.. what are all your thoughts on age for this show?

My soon to be 13 year old DS wants to watch this. I said no cause I haven’t … and reviews were mixed online some saying yes others no.. what are all your thoughts on age for this show?

That’s entirely up to you. The deaths are pretty graphic. Besides the physical torture/violence there is also an episode that is a pretty big moral and psychological mind twist.

Like many other things in life, I think it is entirely up to how your individual kid is and not a set age and only you can make that determination.

Reactions: cm8
That’s entirely up to you. The deaths are pretty graphic. Besides the physical torture/violence there is also an episode that is a pretty big moral and psychological mind twist.

Like many other things in life, I think it is entirely up to how your individual kid is and not a set age and only you can make that determination.

I usually watch stuff myself before I decide but I really have no desire to watch this so I’m kinda out of my element. I guess no matter what people say I’d probably be hesitant anyways. For me, he’s at that middle age that is toeing the line for horror right now and as I stay away from most horror because I have chronic nightmares he’s had to too so far.

only you can make that determination.
It depends. My daughters a bit older at 15 I was surprised to learn yesterday she already watched the whole series before me. I honestly don’t know what the parental limits are on it- Someone could technically block it with a pin. Thing is my daughter watched half of the series over at a friends house. And I know it’s the big thing right now Being talked about at school. With smart phones kids are watching stuff on the buses together already. So unfortunately there’s a little control we have as parents- I guess unless you home school and take devices away.

I’m surprised My daughter watched the whole series. I can see kids getting into it because of the hype but honestly I can see most getting bored Or sick and tired of the dubbing or subtitles. It is very graphic and for me I fast forwarded through lots of bloody scenes. Not so much that I was bothered, which I was, but it just gets kind of boring after a while. I don’t need to watch 5 minutes of people getting their heads shot off. That’s just me though. Unfortunately most 13-year-olds I’ve know have seen enough through gaming so it’s really nothing new to them. Which is kind of sad because we are kind of desensitized.

I finished watching it yesterday I thought the ending was great. In a way I hope there is no season two. I think there’s just so much pressure now to turn things into a series with multiple seasons but sometimes things are perfect just left with one. I think today we all went fast answers but I’d like the mystery of what ifs

Last edited:
It is very graphic with a lot of shooting and death. If you want to get a jist. On YouTube there’s plenty of videos of the first episodes “red light Green Light” scene. pretty much gives you an idea. There is also a scene where there’s sexual coercion and There is one consenting sexual scene in the shower but nothing too graphic.

if your son is very sensitive and has had issues tell him it’s not for him. Though something like this I don’t even consider horror. Horror to me has more a fantasy element to it. This is more things are”messed up” world´and phycololgical torture as all contentants are there on their own free will.

Last edited:
I enjoy having dubbing as an option. Sometimes I just can’t commit to single-tasking a show so I need to be able to know what’s happening without watching.

Yeah the show is violent but it wasn’t hard to watch to me. It’s a for lack of a better term, pretty clean violence.

I thought this one show on Netflix sounded really interesting but it all within the first episode there was somebody being bludgeoned with a baseball bat more than once, a blow torch incident and graphic sex. I was just like not today. That sort of gritty mob style violence I find much more graphic and hard to watch. I have no idea if I’m explaining this at all in a way anybody else would understand.

It’s not exactly the same but if you enjoyed Squid Game for the genre, Alice in Borderland is a similar Japanese show that came out last year.

I enjoy having dubbing as an option. Sometimes I just can’t commit to single-tasking a show so I need to be able to know what’s happening without watching.

Yeah the show is violent but it wasn’t hard to watch to me. It’s a for lack of a better term, pretty clean violence.

I thought this one show on Netflix sounded really interesting but it all within the first episode there was somebody being bludgeoned with a baseball bat more than once, a blow torch incident and graphic sex. I was just like not today. That sort of gritty mob style violence I find much more graphic and hard to watch. I have no idea if I’m explaining this at all in a way anybody else would understand.

It’s not exactly the same but if you enjoyed Squid Game for the genre, Alice in Borderland is a similar Japanese show that came out last year.
I totally get you mean.. I didnt have a hard time watching the "elimination" scenes. I found that easier to watch than for example the rape and torture in season 1 of Outlander and that show one wouldn't use the words "horror". Stuff like that I really try to avoid my kids seeing and they are older.

I've watched a number of foreign language shows, and while I agree listening to the original language with English subtitles is preferred, if I'm doing something else, having the words in English means I can still follow the story without watching the screen. 90% of the time I keep the original language, but there's some times I'll turn on the dubbed audio.

If I'm not going to watch the screen, I'll listen to a British radio drama instead.

If I'm not going to watch the screen, I'll listen to a British radio drama instead.

Yeah, if I don’t have the time to give my full attention to the show, then I just put it off until I do. I’m not much of a binger anyway, I’m lucky if I can get though 2 episodes of something in a day. If I need background noise I’ll either put on a sporting event or some music.

Anyway, I am halfway through episode 7. And as usual in Korean dramas, the English speaking actors are terrible lol.

Yeah, if I don’t have the time to give my full attention to the show, then I just put it off until I do. I’m not much of a binger anyway, I’m lucky if I can get though 2 episodes of something in a day. If I need background noise I’ll either put on a sporting event or some music.

Anyway, I am halfway through episode 7. And as usual in Korean dramas, the English speaking actors are terrible lol.
I like the characters much more now that I’ve heard their voices, what a difference it made.

It is very graphic with a lot of shooting and death. If you want to get a jist. On YouTube there’s plenty of videos of the first episodes “red light Green Light” scene. pretty much gives you an idea. There is also a scene where there’s sexual coercion and There is one consenting sexual scene in the shower but nothing too graphic.

if your son is very sensitive and has had issues tell him it’s not for him. Though something like this I don’t even consider horror. Horror to me has more a fantasy element to it. This is more things are”messed up” world´and phycololgical torture as all contentants are there on their own free will.

He's not sensitive.. it's more me lol I might watch the youtube clips and see, though he gave up bugging me about it so I also might just let it go LOL

The funny part is I get more nightmares from this kind of stuff than the fantasy things. I let him watch deadpool with me and fast forwarded through the sex scene cause I was more worried about that then the gore (which isn't even that much in that movie). But you are right it's harder in this day and age with smart phones to keep stuff from them, though back in my day (haha) my mom was fully against any kind of horror movies when I was his age ... I always went to a friend's house and watched them, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter