PSA - Why you should BACK IN to your driveway

My goodness, how unpleasant.
What exactly did you find unpleasant about my post? The line about the size of the car was a joke (hence the smilie).

The line about SOME people's ability to park is the truth. I wasn't talking about anyone here. If you took it that way, that's on you.

Oh relax. I still say eyes are better than a camera AND my eyes aren't glued to a screen.

Are you driving a Cadillac from the 70s that your car is halfway out before you can look to the sides? :rotfl2:

I agree not everyone can back into spots well. Then again, not everyone can pull into a spot we'll either.

And do you even know what a sedan looks like? The front seat has to be PAST the bumper of a huge pick up truck before you can see past it. That’s half the car.

You drive your vehicle, I’ll drive mine as I see fit. You have no say over how others drive or park. Funny how whenever people get called out, they try to turn it around. Not working.

Maybe for you. NOT for everyone. I drive a sedan & used to back into spaces in parking lots most of the time. However, now that I have a back up camera, I pull in. No matter where I park, I inevitably end up with an SUV or huge pickup parked next to me. If I try to pull out facing forward, my car is half out BEFORE I can see around those vehicles. If I back out, my camera can “see” oncoming pedestrians or vehicles when my car is just inches beyond them.

I get to decide what is a DEFINITE vs. a SUPPOSED benefit to me, not you.
Exactly this

Sorry, it's not a SUPPOSED benefit. Its a DEFINITE benefit.

And for those who keep bringing up "someone behind you might try to grab the space and you might crash into them"... if anyone is backing up without looking, they have bigger problems, and would probably hit someone while backing out of a parking spot.

Also, in order to parallel park, you need to drive past the spot and back in. No one is saying you shouldn't parallel park.
I find your statement highly subjective.

I can state for 100 percent certainty, If my mother were to back into my driveway she would hit my cars. If she backs into the street she most likely will only hit the trash barrels one day a week.

I see a DEFINITE benefit with her only pulling into the yard and backing out ..... Or hopefully she get there first and pulls into the circle and drive out, reducing the possible things she will hit.

Last edited:

And do you even know what a sedan looks like? The front seat has to be PAST the bumper of a huge pick up truck before you can see past it. That’s half the car
I disagree with both of your points. I drive a sedan and when about half the hood is past the cars next to me, I can see past those vehicles.

If you want to pull in and rely on technology to get you out, you do you. I never said everyone has to or even should back in. I have found it very beneficial, even with a back up camera in my car

I think it's understood in parallel parking situations with a blinker that you intend to park. Not the same in a parking lot especially since most don't back in.

In NYC, with so many people circling the block for 10-20 minutes, when you finally get an open space to parallel park in, unless the space is long enough to curve and pull forward into it, (which is rare,) one literally has to move forward (in the driving lane,) COVER the open parking spot while having the turn signal on, and wave people to go around you, then WAIT until ALL the cars behind you have to go around you. Sometimes you have to wait a couple MINUTES or MORE until the street is clear to then move forward and then back in.

Otherwise, if you move forward from covering the open parking space some ******* will immediately swoop forward and angle their car into the open space, even though they can't park that way. :mad: They would eventually have to back out and drive forward and reverse in. Yet, whomever physically has the space will likely get the spot. They will wait there for 20 minutes angled in until the other person finally leaves. It can be really viscous parking in NYC. Most parking lots will charge between $25 to $50 for a space for several hours. Trying to secure a free parking spot is not for the faint of heart in NYC.

Sometimes, even when you are covering the spot with your car, as I said in the first paragraph, you have to wait a long time as there is a person right behind you who wants that spot, and will try to wait it out, until you move forward, then try to swoop in. That's when you have to pull out your phone, start surfing and simply wait them out.
impatientsmilie.gif
It doesn't matter how many other cars are honking their horns behind you both as you are in the driving lane.

I disagree with both of your points. I drive a sedan and when about half the hood is past the cars next to me, I can see past those vehicles.

If you want to pull in and rely on technology to get you out, you do you. I never said everyone has to or even should back in. I have found it very beneficial, even with a back up camera in my car
Here's my reply from your August, 2022 thread, same subject.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/nose-in-or-nose-out.3893071/post-64227369

I never back into a spot if I can help it. There are too many blind spots when I am backing up, especially as I can only see over one shoulder at a time. Backing out of a spot feels different. Still can only see over one shoulder, but I can back straight out and don't have to be concerned about cars on either side of me. Of course, I might be overly sensitive to this as my car has been hit FOUR TIMES by people backing into the spaces next to me.

I can parallel park like a pro. Park on the left, park on the right, park the minivan or the Kia Soul. Doesn't matter, I can do it!

And do you even know what a sedan looks like? The front seat has to be PAST the bumper of a huge pick up truck before you can see past it. That’s half the car.

You drive your vehicle, I’ll drive mine as I see fit. You have no say over how others drive or park. Funny how whenever people get called out, they try to turn it around. Not working.

DW has a Jeep Cherokee and the Rear Camera allows for earlier visual awareness of approaching people/vehicles than when pulling out forward.

I have a Mazda Miata (small car) and backing out allows for earlier visual awareness of approaching people/vehicles than when I drive forward.

Here's my reply from your August, 2022 thread, same subject.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/nose-in-or-nose-out.3893071/post-64227369

Home Depot and Walmart by us have STRAIGHT not angled parking spaces whereas our Food Store locations have angled.

I'm trying to envision this and failing. The only diagonal spaces that I can thing of are super hard (impossible) to back into as you'd be doing a turn that is greater 90 degrees. And getting out (and driving in the correct direction once you do so) is equally difficult/impossible.
Screenshot_20230708_135151_Maps.jpg

Hmmm.. when driving our RV, I tried looking over my shoulder when backing but all I see is.....
downloadfile-8.jpeg
When I use that new fangled rear view camera technology my view is a little better....
20170408_124031.jpg
Now let me get back to this new modern flip phone!

Hmmm.. when driving our RV, I tried looking over my shoulder when backing but all I see is.....
View attachment 776107
When I use that new fangled rear view camera technology my view is a little better....
View attachment 776108
Now let me get back to this new modern flip phone!
Many RVers have their spouse out directing them when they back up for safety reasons. Also prevents damage to the RV when backing into a campsite with low hanging branches.

Many RVers have their spouse out directing them when they back up for safety reasons. Also prevents damage to the RV when backing into a campsite with low hanging branches.

Indeed. I do that as well. My point is that reading through this post, one size does not fit all.
For those old enough to remember Lucy movies.

No dialog, just music, but full scene

Dialog, but shortened scene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter