• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PTR - June 2017 - It's never too early to plan!

Hi there, just following along. We are going next month! But we are nearby, although my parents are flying in from the midwest to come with. My daughter will be 17 months when we go - she's an expert flyer (although we won't need to fly) but I'm very curious how she's going to do in the parks, especially since she's an expert walker (and um, runner...)

From what I have seen online it looks like DLR is busy all the time. This makes me sad. I really like having the park to myself. What back up dates are you leaning more towards?

Hi there, just following along. We are going next month! But we are nearby, although my parents are flying in from the midwest to come with. My daughter will be 17 months when we go - she's an expert flyer (although we won't need to fly) but I'm very curious how she's going to do in the parks, especially since she's an expert walker (and um, runner...)

If she's a runner...you may want to look into a kid "leash." Some people hate them but they can be a life saver. They have some that are just a simple wrist strap. And others are cute little backpacks. Our son had only been walking a couple months and was pretty wobbly still during our last trip.

From what I have seen online it looks like DLR is busy all the time. This makes me sad. I really like having the park to myself. What back up dates are you leaning more towards?

Yep...I think the 'slow' days are gone. I remember going in 2005 and being able to ride Big Thunder 3 times in a row one night without having to get off because there was no line. Not sure something like that happens anymore.

I started a thread about back up dates. I really can't decide. Maybe early March? Early May? Early June? I don't know. Trying to avoid holidays and events. It's tricky though.

If she's a runner...you may want to look into a kid "leash." Some people hate them but they can be a life saver. They have some that are just a simple wrist strap. And others are cute little backpacks. Our son had only been walking a couple months and was pretty wobbly still during our last trip.

I'm thinking about a leash - as much as I don't like them either, it may be necessary for our sanity and her safety. Hmmm...

Car Rental

When we went to Disneyland last year, car rental cost us $240 for an SUV. I decided to search for next year. The prices are insane! The cheapest in-terminal one I could find is $480 (Alamo.) So I am hoping my husband doesn't think it's a hassle to take the shuttle for the car. I found an off-site place (U-Save) that is $288.

Maybe things will go down. But from what I've read...prices are just high for car rentals these days. Lame.

Last edited:
Transportation Options

With car rental possibly being close to $500 or more, we started discussing other options last night.

We could take a bus or shuttle to and from the airport. A bus would be the cheapest at $35 per person (Henry would be free.) But it would take kind of a long time. Maybe not the best option with a toddler. A private shuttle is actually quite expensive. Over $200.

Another option would be a taxi or Uber. Taxi would be around $50 or so each way, plus tip. Uber would likely be a bit cheaper. So right now that is likely what we'll do. Never done Uber before but people speak highly of it.

So we could get Uber to and from the airport on our travel says. It would be maybe $40 or so each way. (Maybe less?)

Then we could do a grocery delivery from Von's instead of making a trip to Target. I think your first delivery is free. We might get a few things delivered from Amazon as well (diapers or pull-ups.)

And then we could rent a car at the Downtown Disney location for the weekend since Saturday and Sunday would be our non-park days. This would cost around $60-$65. G would have to get up Saturday morning and walk over there to get the car. Then return it and walk back Sunday night. Kind of a pain but he said he doesn't mind.

So basically Uber plus weekend rental would be around $150. Much more affordable than $500! Parking at our hotel is $9 a day. If we only have to pay for 2 days, that's $18 instead of $72. So more money saved. Woo!

My only worry would be that the Uber car wouldn't be big enough for all of our luggage. And I hope it's not a problem for them to wait while G installs Henry's car seat.

Last time we went to Disneyland, G did have to make a couple extra trips in the car for various things but we won't be able to do that this time. However, someone said that Uber to a nearby store would only cost about $5. And I think there might be a convenience store within walking distance. Plus we'd have the car for the weekend to run and pick up anything we might need mid-trip...like if we run low on bottled water or something.

So yeah...right now this is looking like our best option unless the price of car rental magically drops into the $200's.

I am okay with saving roughly $400 by ditching the full car rental. That pays for one 5-day park hopper ticket (with a bit leftover.)

Jumping in. Just started a PTR for Nov 2016, so seeing yours made me feel like I wasn't so crazy. :) It should definitely be easier flying with a 3.5-year-old than a 17-month old! We used to live cross country from our family and I have flown with every age from 2 months to 6 years... Every child is different, of course, but it will be much better! Our last (only, so-far) family trip was with a 6, 5, and 2.75-year-old the last few days of February (trip report in my sig), and the little one did pretty great. They all did great. A lot of that was being flexible, and also letting the older two take turns in the double stroller so they didn't get too tired. And having TONS of (non-sugary) snacks so they were never hungry. We didn't bring anything messy, either, and had them eat their snacks in line, which helped with the waiting.

I am hoping that during our trip, he's going through a good 'food phase' like right now. Right now, he's willing to try new things (even though he doesn't always like them.) And he's starting to like things again that he had stopped eating for a while. He's always been a bit picky and had trouble with textures. But the current phase has been really great! Hoping for something like that on vacation. Would make it easier to think of snacks to bring into the parks and whatnot. I hadn't though of something like that for waiting in line.

My fingers are crossed for you. They change so quickly and that makes it so difficult to plan. I am finding that out about my son. Are there any places there that could be considered safe bets for kids?

My fingers are crossed for you. They change so quickly and that makes it so difficult to plan. I am finding that out about my son. Are there any places there that could be considered safe bets for kids?
I don't know about places, but my picky eaters were all over the "Power Packs" that they sold at multiple restaurants. At the time they were a bag of goldfish crackers, a tiny cute banana, yogurt, apple slices, a string cheese, and a small Dasani water.

I don't know about places, but my picky eaters were all over the "Power Packs" that they sold at multiple restaurants. At the time they were a bag of goldfish crackers, a tiny cute banana, yogurt, apple slices, a string cheese, and a small Dasani water.
That is a great idea. I'll check in to those on my next trip. Thanks Sara.

Are you asking about safe bets as far as food goes? I think it really varies based on what your kid likes. At the time of our last trip, pasta was a safe bet for us. And chicken. So we went to Pizza Port a couple times. And we got chicken at Rancho del Zocalo and Flo's. I looked at menus on allears.net before our trip to get an idea of places that would work for us. We mostly did kids meals for hims and fed him off of our plates. We may have done a toddler meal but I felt they didn't give much food.

The one thing I hate about kids meals are the raw carrots and apples. My son has always had some feeding issues so he only JUST started eating apples (no skin) and still can't do raw carrots. I think we may have subbed applesauce at some places but I can't quite recall.

We did the power packs for our son for snacks. I think you get a fair amount of stuff for the price. I suspect we'll be getting them a lot next time too. Since he couldn't eat the apples and carrots, my husband and I would eat those. :)

Last edited:
Groceries and Deliveries

Since we will likely use Uber to and from the airport and only have a car on the weekend...grocery delivery is probably going to be the way to go. Last time we got a LOT of groceries during our week long stay. Von's has delivery so we'll probably get some stuff from them. I think we have to spend at least $50 for delivery. We'll get stuff like bottled water, milk, string cheese, snacks, paper towels, etc.

Then we'll probably do a Prime Pantry delivery from amazon.com. It's $6 shipping and you can fit a bunch of stuff in a box. We'll need diapers (or maybe pull-ups if we get lucky.) We will also need wipes. We can also order some snacks from here as well.

We will probably eat breakfast in the room most days. That's what we did last time and I think it worked out well. Saved us time and money. We'll still eat breakfast in the park once or twice, I'm sure. So we will need breakfast food. Plus plates/bowls/utensils.

I am weird and like to buy certain things to use in place of the provided stuff in the hotel room. Typically we'll buy our own toilet paper, Kleenex, and hand soap. So those are things we might order. (Hand soap, at the very least, because I hate bar soap.) We also like to have travel pack of Clorox wipes for restaurant tables. And then hand/face wipes for Henry. Though we may just use regular baby wipes on his hands and face this time.

Last time I bought shampoo, conditioner, and body wash at Target. But they didn't actually carry the stuff I like. So this time I might just put some in travel bottles and put them in my checked bag. It might be a little too pricey to order them on amazon or at Von's.

So yeah...we'll be spending a ton on various deliveries. Last time we spent around $200 on grocery items at Target. I am hoping we can keep in around or even under that this time. We'll see, I guess. Diapers/wipes are always a big one, of course. And you can't really avoid that. Bottled water is super important too. We do occasionally buy some in the parks but we like to start the day bringing our own, cold water in.

At a later date I'll probably type up a (long) list of everything we'll want to order. I just hope our hotel isn't annoyed with us!

I'll probably start with a huge list and then cut it down as much as possible. In reality, we just need to ship enough to get us by a few days. We arrive on a Wednesday. We'll have a rental car Saturday/Sunday. So we really just need things for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, part of Saturday. Then we can run to Target to get stuff for the second half of the trip.

As I said, we'll probably eat breakfast in the room most days. We will be in CA for 8 mornings. If we were to eat out for each of those...it really does add a big cost. I mean, we're already eating lunch/dinner at restaurants the entire time. So it's nice to find ways to save.

Last time, Henry was mostly eating puree pouches at breakfast along with milk in a bottle. He also ate some dry cheerios. Maybe fruit too, I can't recall. These days, Henry doesn't eat cereal. He mostly eats waffles/pancakes/french toast sticks/eggs/fruit/yogurt. But who knows what he'll be eating come February. So we'll just have to wing it.

Last time, I had cereal in the room most mornings. And then a few times my husband got some tea and pastries from the breakfast room. I suspect we'll do the same this time.

We did eat 1 breakfast in the park at Tomorrowland Terrace. That's kind of been our tradition so I suspect we'll do that again. One other morning we went to Ihop. It was pretty pricey but we did get a lot of food. I could see us doing that again one day. Maybe on a non-park day (which is what we did last year.) We might do a 2nd breakfast in the parks at some place Flo's. I'm not sure since I haven't really looked a menus yet.

So anyway....those are just some plans. I am babbling now.

Wow, I forget, how long are you going to be there? It never occurred to me to have anything delivered there (since we've almost always driven)! But the last time my husband was at a conference, they needed a few things and had them delivered with Amazon Now. He really like Amazon Now... (I think you can use it on some items if you're a Prime member) I can't decide if it's nice to have them potty trained when you go (ours was at 2.75 - it's anyone's guess on our current 2-year-old) or if diapers would just be easier...

We will be there 8 nights. We arrive on a Wednesday and then leave the following Thursday.

Our son will be 3.5 during our trip. But he has some developmental delays so it's iffy if he'll be potty trained. He is 2 years, 8 months now and has zero interest. He doesn't even 'tell' us when he goes. So I suspect he'll be in diapers or maybe in the middle of potty training. If we're in the middle of training...I'm kind of dreading it. Ha!

We will be there 8 nights. We arrive on a Wednesday and then leave the following Thursday.

Our son will be 3.5 during our trip. But he has some developmental delays so it's iffy if he'll be potty trained. He is 2 years, 8 months now and has zero interest. He doesn't even 'tell' us when he goes. So I suspect he'll be in diapers or maybe in the middle of potty training. If we're in the middle of training...I'm kind of dreading it. Ha!

I -always- dread it. I didn't even TRY with my first until 3! Being right in the middle of it might be a nightmare... Ours had been doing pretty well for 2 months when we went to Disney, and we had at least one accident a day, just because of the nature of it all. (lines, not being by bathrooms, too much excitement, etc.)

Yeah, I suspect if he's in the middle of it...we'll like go with pull-ups just to play it safe. If it means a backslide, then so be it.

We are waiting for him to show interest before we even attempt it. So we'll see, I guess.

Hi,
I'm joining in. I love your idea with the plug covers, my kids are all adults so that isn't a worry now. But, I will keep it in mind for when I have grandkids! I'm kind of glad that we didn't have to fly when our kids were little. We could stop at rest areas and let them runoff that excess energy in hopes they would sleep. Ha! They always stayed awake, so excited to get there. We're all that way. :rotfl:

We're planning a December, 2017 and we're trying to decide between going to Disney World for the first time or going to Disneyland. I do have a daughter that's holding out for Aulani. I'm hoping to be going back to Disneyland. I love that place!

I'm excited to see your plans and to answer your thought about too early to plan, No! It's never to early to plan!!

Thanks for joining!

I love both WDW and Disneyland. So we basically alternate trips. Though we're waiting until our son is a bit older for WDW. Maybe 5ish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter