PTR -November 12-18 2016- my obsessive thoughts and ramblings

Christina-B-Na

Mouseketeer
Hi and welcome to my random thoughts and ramblings ptr. This is my 1st ever PTR so bare with me and beware...I am not very good at writing either. I'll try to make it as painless as possible! Ha! :scared::)
I am driving my hubby bonkers with all my Disney talk these days so I thought... why not write it down and get the thoughts and expertise of like minded folks!?! So here goes:

Cast of characters is myself ( a crazed longtime Disney fanatic), DH (likes Disney but not the obsessive nut I am...tolerant), and our two boys (a 4 year old and a will be 16mo at the time of our trip). Its been a little over 2 years since our last trip and I couldn't be more excited for this trip and to check out all the holiday happenings. DH and I have been together going on 18 years and Disneyland has been a pretty regular vacay for us over that time. This will be the 4th trip for my oldest (took him 3xs before he turned 3 :rolleyes:) and 1st trip for the baby...soooo excited! Even though my oldest has been a few times, this will be the 1st time he will be old enough to truly be excited about it and tall enough to go on almost every ride. He is Disney obsessed and also an xmas fanatic like his momma so this trip is going t be extra special. I can not wait to see his little cutie-pie face when he sees not only Disneyland but Disneyland decked out for the holidays for the 1st time! Priceless! He asks on a weekly basis when we can go to Disneyland so we have decided not to tell him about the trip and are planning to surprise him.pixiedust: More on thoughts about that later.

So, our trip is November 13th thru the 18th. I recently realized that there is a marathon that weekend and it is also likely the start of the holiday season so I am a bit nervous how that will all come into play crowd wise. Our 1st day in the parks will probably not be till Monday so hoping it will die down a smidge by then...wishful thinking??

Booked the Desert Inn and Suites back in January and got a rate of about $110 for a deluxe room. Decent rate but I waited too long...if I had booked when I looked in December, I could have saved quite a bit but we couldn't decide on the dates...o well live and learn. Its still a great price and we love being sooo close to the crosswalk! Its nothing fancy but its clean and extremely close...the 2 things that matter most to us.

Next update: tickets and more trip planning tidbits.

Ok so things are changing already! We decided we wanted to add a day to our Cali trip so we will now be arriving on the 12th! Woo hoo! I have heard stories of reservations getting screwed up by adding or subtracting days so I am afraid to mess with my resi at DI&S. I went ahead and booked one night at Best Host Inn in Buena Park while I debate whether or not I'm brave enough to call DI&S. Anyone else have any recent experience with this?
So now we have to decide on our itinerary. We currently have 3 day parkhoppers that I bought back in February from Getawaytoday. They were running a special for "Adults at a kids price" and I knew the price hike was coming soon so it was a deal too good to pass up. I think I paid around $792 for 3 - 3day parkhoppers. I am now trying to talk hubby into upgrading to annual passes while we are there this trip. Wish me luck! The way I see it is....this is our last year of complete freedom on how long we go and when we can go before our oldest starts kindergarten and leaving us mostly confined to school breaks and holidays. I figure if we can get at least 3 trips in on an annual pass, it will have more than paid for itself. (Im already planning and thinking about trips in February and October 2017 :rolleyes1) Its also the cheapest year while the baby is still be under 3. We'll see what happens...he seems really open to the idea just not completely sold on committing so much vacation time to it. Depending on which way we go, it will change what we do and which days we do them as we also try to always build in a free day or two to relax and do other California things. I'll have to come up with scenarios and ideas later.

Following along! We are going the week after Thanksgiving, and none of us have really been there during Christmas before! I'm excited that you're going to do a trip report!

Last edited:
EEK! your ptr makes me soo excited. Your trip dates coincide with ours too! We will be there 12-16!

Following along! We are going the week after Thanksgiving, and none of us have really been there during Christmas before! I'm excited that you're going to do a trip report!

Thanks for following! Funny...Im following your ptr as well!!!

EEK! your ptr makes me soo excited. Your trip dates coincide with ours too! We will be there 12-16!
How fun! Maybe we'll pass eachother along the way!!!
Im so excited for this trip I cant stand it. I wish Disneyland would put out the holiday schedule already! I cant wait to see what what they have instore as far as festivities and my inability to schedule and plan stuff out is making me crazy!! Lol!

Have I mentioned that I am so excited...err obsessively planning and thinking about things I can do for my trip!?! :mickeyjum

So I thought it would be fun to put together some goodie bags to give the kiddos when we check into our hotel...you know, to say hey we're going to Disneyland!

I currently have more stuff for DS(4) than I do for the babe but what can you get for a 16mo old really? Going to continue working on that but here is what I picked up in the last few days:

Matching PJs for the kiddos from Walmart $6 ea, Olaf light wands on clearance for $2 ( will bring them to the park for when DS4 asks for one those crazy expensive wands), Stuffed animals from Disney Store outlet (buy one get one 50% off), glowsticks from the dollar store and the water magic coloring book and a light band were on sale at JoAnns. Would like to find a few inexpensive toys to give them so that they can play with them in the hotel room...the hunt continues for that. I also plan to pick them up a pair of Disney slippers or slipper socks to match their PJs and to keep their feet clean from typically dirty hotel floors. :rolleyes::scared::)

I really wanted to do family shirts this trip so I am currently working on that. I'm hoping for a good photo that we can use in Xmas cards this year. It is proving to be harder than I thought. I don't necessarily want to be all matchy but would like to at least coordinate. We'll see... 1st task is deciding the theme or character... more on that next time.

Last edited:
So, so cute! I enjoy all this prep part way too much... I mostly have four full sets already (we're going 4 days) but I'm thinking about making a 5th, since one of the "sets" were supposed to just be Christmas pajama shirts. Such a hard time deciding! Our trips are getting so close! (ish)

Well we are all currently sick with a nasty bug so my obsessive planning has been on a bit of a hiatus. :(45 days to go and hoping to stay healthy between now and our trip....my luck we'll come down with something right before. Crossing fingers that doesn't happen! My normally quiet and easy going little ds(14mo) is also teething with molars and going thru a clingy phase. Poor guy is so miserable and does nothing but whine, cry and want to be held all the time. He also suddenly hates going to bed and cries every night and at nap time....hoping we can work our way through that soon! That could be interesting all crammed in a hotel room together! Lol!

Anywho, I managed to put together our 1st set of family outfits. It has been a lot harder than I thought to get shirts for my hubby and myself. Its also difficult since Im not sure what to expect weather wise...ex: dont want to spend a lot of time putting shirts together, only to have them be covered up by sweatshirts. Ha! :rolleyes:

Found super cute mickey shirts at Target for the boys and a mickey shirt for DH at Walmart but haven't found one for myself yet that Im crazy about so Im going with an inspired look by using a mickey necklace I made and will probably wear red jeggings.

Gonna try to put together at least one more set, hopefully 2. We are thinking of buying the week long photopass this time so I think having a few coordinated outfits would make for some fun pics! (even tho I cant stand myself in any pics :crazy2: lol). I also cant wait to get snapshots of ds(4) riding some of the big boy rides for the 1st time!
I was going to pre purchase the photopass but I've been reading that the photographers have been harder to find these days. In the past they have been really good about being willing to take pics with our camera and now they don't offer the borders which is a HUGE BUMMER! The borders and enhancements they used to have were awesome! I waiver on whether its worth it now so I think my best bet will be to wait till the end and see what we end up with.

Well we are all currently sick with a nasty bug so my obsessive planning has been on a bit of a hiatus. :(45 days to go and hoping to stay healthy between now and our trip....my luck we'll come down with something right before. Crossing fingers that doesn't happen! My normally quiet and easy going little ds(14mo) is also teething with molars and going thru a clingy phase. Poor guy is so miserable and does nothing but whine, cry and want to be held all the time. He also suddenly hates going to bed and cries every night and at nap time....hoping we can work our way through that soon! That could be interesting all crammed in a hotel room together! Lol!

Anywho, I managed to put together our 1st set of family outfits. It has been a lot harder than I thought to get shirts for my hubby and myself. Its also difficult since Im not sure what to expect weather wise...ex: dont want to spend a lot of time putting shirts together, only to have them be covered up by sweatshirts. Ha! :rolleyes:

Found super cute mickey shirts at Target for the boys and a mickey shirt for DH at Walmart but haven't found one for myself yet that Im crazy about so Im going with an inspired look by using a mickey necklace I made and will probably wear red jeggings.

Gonna try to put together at least one more set, hopefully 2. We are thinking of buying the week long photopass this time so I think having a few coordinated outfits would make for some fun pics! (even tho I cant stand myself in any pics :crazy2: lol). I also cant wait to get snapshots of ds (4) riding some of the big boy rides for the 1st time!
I was going to pre purchase the photopass but I've been reading that the photographers have been harder to find these days. In the past they have been really good about being willing to take pics with our camera and now they don't offer the borders which is a HUGE BUMMER! The borders and enhancements they used to have were awesome! I waiver on whether its worth it now so I think my best bet will be to wait till the end and see what we end up with.

Super cute! I hear you - I'm often worried that someone might get sick and "ruin" our trip. We usually try to not treat fevers and be as natural as we can with our bodies and sickness, but you know I am packing zofran (in case anyone gets stomach flu) and advil. We will enjoy this trip. And not eat any sugar for like a week before it. Well, maybe one piece of pie at Thanksgiving...

I am struggling with the "no idea what the weather will be" thing too. At least for the kids I'm trying for somewhat coordinating jacket colors planned as well so my pictures will be good either way! There's just no telling in November! I super love your Mickey necklace. :) I'm having a hard time finding shirts for me too (and pants...) since my baby will only be 4 months old, and since I gain a ton with my pregnancies. I don't lose it while nursing - if I am losing, my milk supply is also suffering. :P

29 days to go!! Wooo hoo! Seems like its taking forever but also coming up so fast!
So I feel like I have hit a bit of a wall lately as far as planning goes. I think mostly because they still have not confirmed any of the holiday entertainment yet other than to say that there is some. Its so strange to me that they have only been releasing the entertainment schedule a few weeks in advance. I'm not trying to plan a rigid schedule for this trip but since I have no idea whats happening and on which days I can't even plan out which park on a particular day...uugh..Disney problems! Ha!
My big hope is that we are able to catch Paint the night at some point during our trip as we have not seen it. From what i have seen on the internet, its looks like an amazing parade/show and I know my kiddos would be amazed. Im so thankful that we are able to make this trip happen and am so excited to see my sweet boy's faces light up at the sight of Disneyland decked out for the holidays....but my need for details is making me coocoo!

While I impatiently wait, I have been pratice packing. Such a silly concept but I'm trying to streamline how much I can bring or how much I need. Especially for things like my stroller. I have read about all the new security procedures and how long the lines can get so Im trying to make it as easy as I can for myself....but I tend to be an overpacker. I'm the person you probably avoid getting in line behind!! I'd like to avoid having to go back to the hotel unless its absolutely necessary and I'd also like to avoid the added expense of a locker. I have a double side by side baby jogger that has a tiny basket underneath but also has two mesh pockets on the back of the seats. I was able to pack 4 sweatshirts and and a change of clothes incase of accidents (by rolling a child's sweatshirt and clothes in an adult one and putting them in the mesh pockets),2 small blankets, a gallon size ziploc bag of snacks, a small soft sided cooler for more snacks/ drinks and I also purchased a cooler bag made by baby jogger that attachs to the stroller.
Screenshot_2016-10-14-13-56-22-1-1.png
Havent decided if we will use this as a cooler or as a bag but either way...its more storage! I was also able to make and fit a diaper bag of sorts out of a ziploc bag.

I fit 5 size 4 diapers, diaper cream, antibacterial foam, wipes clutch,face/hand wipes and 2 disposable changing pads.
Ill also carry a small crossbody purse for things like chapstick, wallet, sunscreen...etc and camera. Its still a ton of stuff but I made it work.

Last edited:
29 days to go!! Wooo hoo! Seems like its taking forever but also coming up so fast!
So I feel like I have hit a bit of a wall lately as far as planning goes. I think mostly because they still have not confirmed any of the holiday entertainment yet other than to say that there is some. Its so strange to me that they have only been releasing the entertainment schedule a few weeks in advance. I'm not trying to plan a rigid schedule for this trip but since I have no idea whats happening and on which days I can't even plan out which park on a particular day...uugh..Disney problems! Ha!
My big hope is that we are able to catch Paint the night at some point during our trip as we have not seen it. From what i have seen on the internet, its looks like an amazing parade/show and I know my kiddos would be amazed. Im so thankful that we are able to make this trip happen and am so excited to see my sweet boy's faces light up at the sight of Disneyland decked out for the holidays....but my need for details is making me coocoo!

While I impatiently wait, I have been pratice packing. Such a silly concept but I'm trying to streamline how much I can bring or how much I need. Especially for things like my stroller. I have read about all the new security procedures and how long the lines can get so Im trying to make it as easy as I can for myself....but I tend to be an overpacker. I'm the person you probably avoid getting in line behind!! <snip>
I fit 5 size 4 diapers, diaper cream, antibacterial foam, wipes clutch,face/hand wipes and 2 disposable changing pads.
Ill also carry a small crossbody purse for things like chapstick, wallet, sunscreen...etc and camera. Its still a ton of stuff but I made it work.

You are my people. I nodded my head to this entire post. We're 6 weeks out and I feel the desire to start packing. Plus I have to make our little stroller bags easy to pull up out of the double jogger because we'll probably be traveling on either the TS bus or ART and having to fold it morning and night.
We are going the week after Thanksgiving, and at least our hours are going to start being posted. But yeah, what's the hold up on all the holiday entertainment?

You are my people. I nodded my head to this entire post. We're 6 weeks out and I feel the desire to start packing. Plus I have to make our little stroller bags easy to pull up out of the double jogger because we'll probably be traveling on either the TS bus or ART and having to fold it morning and night.
We are going the week after Thanksgiving, and at least our hours are going to start being posted. But yeah, what's the hold up on all the holiday entertainment?

Great minds think alike right!?! Lol!
I feel like a wierdo packing or trying to figure out how things are going to be packed this far in advance but I always forget things if I dont start early or at the very least make lists. Its my process I guess. Especially with the kiddos...seems like they require so much and as I mentioned, I'm a complete overpacker. For you, you have more munchkins which generally equals more stuff and then getting it on and off a bus as well...I really feel your pain!

Howdy! O my goodness.....16 days to go! So stinking excited to see that beautiful holiday Castle. My oldest (DS4) literally asks everyday if we can go to Disneyland and I'm so excited for the day when I can say...YES!!! It's been a little over two years since our last visit but it feels like forever. I'm feeling a bit frustrated these days with the lack of confirmation from Disneyland on the holiday entertainment. It is so strange and I am struggling to understand how the kickoff ( and my trip) is around the corner, yet nothing! Right now it looks like Paint the Night isn't happening until the day we leave (Nov 18th) which breaks my heart! I was really looking forward to seeing it for the 1st time but its not looking good for us. Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that something magically changes with that. World of Color is also missing from the schedule....another oddity. At this point I'm trying to remain focused on all the fun we are going to have no matter what....but uuugh!
So unfortunately my dates had to change again and now my trip is a day shorter....BOO! DH's cousin is getting married on the 12th so we will be attending the wedding and then hopefully leave as early as possible in the AM on the 13th.
The plan: ( Or at least goal at this point) :car:
Its about a 6 1/2- 7 hour drive from AZ depending on how many stops we have to make for the kiddos. We always try to stop in Cabazon ( i think thats where it is...the place with the dinosaurs?) to let the kiddos run around and burn off a little energy.

Not my picture

:beach: Head to the beach - thinking maybe Newport Beach Pier or Huntington. In the past we have gone to Little Corona Del Mar to play in the tidepools but lugging our stuff up and down that killer hill just doesnt seem appealing this time. Super fun place though!

Next, head to the hotel, check-in and get things set up. Need to somehow surprise and inform DS4 on the way to the hotel that we'll be going to Disneyland since our hotel is across the street and I'm sure he will recognize something. Still trying to figure out a fun way to do that. :earboy2:

Depending on the time or what we are up for, we will either head into the park for a couple of rides or we may just do Downtown Disney, go to Whitewater Snacks in GCH for our must have nachos...yum!!

Not my picture
Probably peruse the stores and then call it a night.
Monday will likely be Disneyland but Tuesday thru Thursday will be up in the air at this point as far as which park which day until I have a better sense of possible entertainment. We originally wanted to build in a free day to relax and do some other Cali stuff but since we only have 4 full days, I'm not sure how much precious time we will want to waste. I guess we will see how busy the parks are, how much we get done and how exhausted we are.

Still working on the family outfits. Did put together a Star Wars themed set:

Well that's it's for now. Till next time......

Love the shirts! And I super de-duper want those nachos... I don't know if there will be time this time, but I want to remember them!!

The holiday "unschedule" has been driving me crazy, too. So far, PtN is playing every night up until... the first day we're there. And it resumes the day after we leave. Are you serious?

3 days!! Bags are packed and ready to go! Just need to throw the toiletries in when we are ready to leave.
I am out of my mind excited and nervous all at the same time.This is our 1st real road trip as a foursome and I have no idea how ds (16mo) is going to do. I bought a handful of new inexpensive toys specifically for the car and my suv also has a dvd player for movies...hopefully the combo will make for a happy ride! This is also the 1st time we will be staying in a hotel together with the babe so that could get interesting as well. He is not a fan of the pack n play and gets pretty rowdy if I try to put him in bed with me so sleeping is probably going to be tricky.
Finished our last family shirt set. DH is a huge AZ Cardinals fan so I found a fun Mickey head on Etsy that could be turned into a t shirt transfer. So fun.

And I super de-duper want those nachos... I don't know if there will be time this time, but I want to remember them!!
My hubby daydreams about them. Lol! For us, they're right up there with the Lobster nachos at Cove bar. Apparently we're nacho people. Super yummy and the GCH is a fun hotel to peruse along the way.

Looks like you are just about on your way. I look forward to hearing about it. We're looking at Desert Inn and Suites for our trip in the summer so would live to hear what you think of it. Have an amazing time

3 days!! Bags are packed and ready to go! Just need to throw the toiletries in when we are ready to leave.
I am out of my mind excited and nervous all at the same time.This is our 1st real road trip as a foursome and I have no idea how ds (16mo) is going to do. I bought a handful of new inexpensive toys specifically for the car and my suv also has a dvd player for movies...hopefully the combo will make for a happy ride! This is also the 1st time we will be staying in a hotel together with the babe so that could get interesting as well. He is not a fan of the pack n play and gets pretty rowdy if I try to put him in bed with me so sleeping is probably going to be tricky.
Finished our last family shirt set. DH is a huge AZ Cardinals fan so I found a fun Mickey head on Etsy that could be turned into a t shirt transfer. So fun.
I'm following along. Have fun !

Hope you had an amazing trip! You'll have to fill us in on how it was and what the crowds were like! Although I'm sure you are all sad to be home!! :(

(I'm trying to decide on week before or after thanksgiving next year!!)

Eager to hear how things went for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter