PTSD and DAS

Mandi0824

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am wondering if my husband would qualify (I know the Guest Services make the ultimate decision) but wondering if yall could give me some insight to help me out.
My husband is 100% Disable Veteran. He has PTSD and brain injuries that leave to him having seizure like attacks. (They are actually stress attacks but look like seizures to everyone). Our Last trip to Disney World was in 2013 when he was getting med board out of the Army. We did not think about how his seizures would effect our trip back then. On the first day he had a seizure in the lobby of the hotel (AOA) and while we explain to everyone what happen they were very helpful. Well, the next day he had 2 seizures at Magic Kingdom. He was so embarrassed because it cause so much problems. Once was in line and the medic had to ask everyone behind of in line to get out of line to get to us. So he felt so bad about it. Then we were having lunch or dinner at Crystal Palace and he had another one. It ended up being the same medics so they decide that since we were there for 5 more days they did not keep wanting to get calls. They issue us a wheelchair for free and depend that my husband remain in the chair the whole week. This was very frustrated. My husband is very active and healthy having to be stuck in the wheelchair. We hate all the pictures we took with him sitting in a wheelchair. Also I am not in that best health and I had to push him around all week being very stress for me. In all that week was very frustrated and not has much fun as we were planning. So we never planned on going back.
Now, I want to go back for the 50th Anniversary and he wants to go back to do all the new rides and he is a big Star Wars fan. But, he is worry about this happening again and them wanting him to remain in a wheelchair. He gone though lots of therapy and knows a lot of ways to deal with it but still gets overwhelm in big crowds. What makes him have episodes is being stuck in a crowd and not moving. He is worry about lines that snake back and forth in a tight area. So we are wondering if he would be able to likely get a DAS so that way we won't have to risk it if we will have a repeat of our last trip.
Also, shows are we able to pick seats. We normally pick seats in the back corner that way he can see the place (he don't like people behind him). We plan to not really do table service because we won't be able to ask like we do at home for a table on the outside or corner of the building.
Also any advice you have that might have to help us plan we are not going to April 2022.

for the DAS you need to go to GR and explain his need as it has to do with waiting in line. even with the DAS you still wit in lines just not as long ( for the most part 10-15 minutes) but things can happen that make the waits longer. as fair as show goes try to be the last ones in as most tend to go for the front center of show and they ask people to keep moving down the rows

I know for myself having something in my hands ( silly pudy, fidget toy) helps me not to focus on the people around me but just right infront of me. I also wear over the ear muff to block out extra noises ( you can also get in ones that goes in your ears at first aid)

for eating try and eat at off peak times or take your food some where else to eat ( you might have to sit on the ground but MK has a nice garden view of the castle)

depending on when easer falls next year ( the week before and after )are quite busy and when you go crowds might be light.

it is ok to take a mid afternoon break when the crowds are busiest

I can't think of much else just thank your husband for his service

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE... You are in the service too.

I think you really need to consult his counselor . What advise and skills do you need to set up and work on.
The crowds are going to be his biggest his issue. It will be VERY busy for the next 18-24 months. It will be MUCH more crowed than your last trip.
Can he use a scooter ? Can you bring a friend as a helper ?

He will be able to get a DAS and hopefully it makes your trip much more enjoyable. My wife has a TBI and PTSD from Iraq and they gave her one easily this time. This is the first time we even bothered to ask. After all of our return times we scanned in and proceeded in. I don't think we ever stopped moving until the very end when boarding and it was for a minute. Being able to wait outside of the lines and crowds is a godsend, especially because Disney is 100% back to packing everyone in. Several rides this last week I was greeted with the familiar fill all available space line.

My wife got a dirty look with our youngest once or twice but those people can suck it. Oddly, nobody blinked an eye when I was there. Maybe I give off more of a "get punched in the mouth" vibe 🤔

for the DAS you need to go to GR and explain his need as it has to do with waiting in line. even with the DAS you still wit in lines just not as long ( for the most part 10-15 minutes) but things can happen that make the waits longer. as fair as show goes try to be the last ones in as most tend to go for the front center of show and they ask people to keep moving down the rows

I know for myself having something in my hands ( silly pudy, fidget toy) helps me not to focus on the people around me but just right infront of me. I also wear over the ear muff to block out extra noises ( you can also get in ones that goes in your ears at first aid)

for eating try and eat at off peak times or take your food some where else to eat ( you might have to sit on the ground but MK has a nice garden view of the castle)

depending on when easer falls next year ( the week before and after )are quite busy and when you go crowds might be light.

it is ok to take a mid afternoon break when the crowds are busiest

I can't think of much else just thank your husband for his service
Thank you so much for all these tips. Yeah he can handle small lines just not a hour over and over will be too much.
He has some games on his phone that he plays that relaxes him when we are at places.
I love the idea about sitting on the ground and eating off. This is us. We love to sit back and people watch. He does fine in crowd places outdoors. So he don't mind if main street is crowd just when buildings get crowded and can't find a way out. That is the fear.
But, thank you for those tips.

I think you really need to consult his counselor . What advise and skills do you need to set up and work on.
The crowds are going to be his biggest his issue. It will be VERY busy for the next 18-24 months. It will be MUCH more crowed than your last trip.
Thank you for your advice. He knows what to do. He does fine in open area even if it is crowded, like we attend state fair and other festivals in our area and never had a issue. His big issue is being in crowded places indoors. He is worry about ques that snake back and forth and when you are in the center of the room with no way out, that is when he starts stressing. Main street and the walkways being busy don't brother him, just inside the lines when you stop moving. Then at the shows. When we go to the movies now, we sit back row aisle seat so that way he can have view of the room and a way out. So yeah those are his bigger triggers.
No, he would not be able to sit on a scooter all day, he is very healthy. He spends 3 hours a day at the gym, runs, and bikes miles a day. So making him sit all day was so depression to him last time and now since he is more physical healthy that would be more frustrated and depression.

He will be able to get a DAS and hopefully it makes your trip much more enjoyable. My wife has a TBI and PTSD from Iraq and they gave her one easily this time. This is the first time we even bothered to ask. After all of our return times we scanned in and proceeded in. I don't think we ever stopped moving until the very end when boarding and it was for a minute. Being able to wait outside of the lines and crowds is a godsend, especially because Disney is 100% back to packing everyone in. Several rides this last week I was greeted with the familiar fill all available space line.

My wife got a dirty look with our youngest once or twice but those people can suck it. Oddly, nobody blinked an eye when I was there. Maybe I give off more of a "get punched in the mouth" vibe 🤔

Please tell your wife Thank you for her service. Thank you also for the advice and giving me hope that it is worth it to plan this trip. We did not ask last time for a pass but when they gave us the wheelchair at that time it we was able to go in the backway or fast pass line. Being able to sit outside will be a life saver for him for sure. We don't mind waiting at all.
Yeah my husband is use to the dirty looks he gets that all the time. He is physical healthy but we get looks all the time when he takes advance of his DV plates so that don't bother us. Last time we went he was in the wheelchair and got out of it to walk on to a ride and get on the bus and got accuse of faking it but oh well.

I'm wondering if the OP is aware of just how crowded it is going to be ? I fully expect the parks to reach normal capacity on many days during the anniversary months. Think Christmas day crowds.
If the fast pass system comes back it isn't going to be the quick walk to the ride it is right now. Right now the fast pass line is only being used for das, and vip situations. The lines to get into the parks are going to be packed like we haven't seen in years.
It is possible to get that trapped feeling in an outside main street location in a capacity day park.

My kiddos still can't do long enclosed lines close to other people. Every time I try something goes wrong. Talk to the CM at GS about what accommodations will make your visit more pleasant. I tried to use the DAS for primarlly enclosed lines and would wait in the outside lines. Have fun.

We happened to strike up a conversation with a disabled CM who is a former police officer and a veteran. He told us part of his job is to assist veterans at Disney World. He can let them know what may potentially trigger PTSD attacks. Not sure if I can say his name on the forum or not, but either call or inquire when you get to Disney.

We happened to strike up a conversation with a disabled CM who is a former police officer and a veteran. He told us part of his job is to assist veterans at Disney World. He can let them know what may potentially trigger PTSD attacks. Not sure if I can say his name on the forum or not, but either call or inquire when you get to Disney.

Which park does he work at?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to post his name (plus there may be more people than him in that role).
I‘d suggest asking at Guest Relations whether they have any specific CMs at that park that day to assist veterans.

Which park does he work at?

We spoke with him at HS.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to post his name (plus there may be more people than him in that role).
I‘d suggest asking at Guest Relations whether they have any specific CMs at that park that day to assist veterans.
I agree! That’s why I didn’t give a name.

A few trips (and years) ago when I was getting my DAS at HS we had an amazing CM in guest services help us with getting the DAS. Among other things, he ended up having about a 20 minute conversation with us about ways to lessen/avoid crowds & crowded spaces** throughout all the parks and in different situations (eg fireworks, at shows, moving from area to area). He had all kinds of good suggestions and it was really helpful. He knew his stuff, was understanding and very much wanting to help make our stay work well.

( **this was something that would help us and was relevant to why we were asking for the DAS, so it made sense to have the conversation. )

I think you all need to figure out what combination of things will work best and not be too black and white.

Definitely get a DAS so he can limite his time in crowds.
But what if you all got a wheelchair that he didn't use in open spaces (like walking from ride to ride) but did use in line?
What if you planned to go at less busy times per year?
What if you planned to go at less busy times of day?
Would wearing earphones in line with music and sunglasses that help reduce what he sees help?

A few trips (and years) ago when I was getting my DAS at HS we had an amazing CM in guest services help us with getting the DAS. Among other things, he ended up having about a 20 minute conversation with us about ways to lessen/avoid crowds & crowded spaces** throughout all the parks and in different situations (eg fireworks, at shows, moving from area to area). He had all kinds of good suggestions and it was really helpful. He knew his stuff, was understanding and very much wanting to help make our stay work well.

( **this was something that would help us and was relevant to why we were asking for the DAS, so it made sense to have the conversation. )
What advice were you given for fireworks and shows? We didn’t even try fireworks but I felt bad the kids missed out.

What advice were you given for fireworks and shows? We didn’t even try fireworks but I felt bad the kids missed out.
Magic Kingdom‘s fireworks show includes both fireworks and projections on the front of the castle.
The hub area in front of the castle is usually very congested. If you don‘t care about viewing the projections, anywhere in the area behind the castle circled in hot pink is good. You can still hear the music and see the fireworks, but with a lot less people.

If you also want to see the projections, there are some rocks circled in red along the Tomorrowland bridge. They do provide a good view of projections and fireworks and no one can get in front of you. The downside is that there is very little space between the rocks, so not room for many people and it can feel tight and trapped. I’d recommend looking it over and trying it out earlier in the day to see if it will work for you. The space can also fill up quickly, so arrive early.

B21B958E-20DE-477F-9CF2-4CD31F332404.jpeg

Magic Kingdom‘s fireworks show includes both fireworks and projections on the front of the castle.
The hub area in front of the castle is usually very congested. If you don‘t care about viewing the projections, anywhere in the area behind the castle circled in hot pink is good. You can still hear the music and see the fireworks, but with a lot less people.

If you also want to see the projections, there are some rocks circled in red along the Tomorrowland bridge. They do provide a good view of projections and fireworks and no one can get in front of you. The downside is that there is very little space between the rocks, so not room for many people and it can feel tight and trapped. I’d recommend looking it over and trying it out earlier in the day to see if it will work for you. The space can also fill up quickly, so arrive early.

View attachment 651185
Thank you!

EPCOT is the other park that currently has a fireworks show. They say that good viewing spots are available all over World Showcase lagoon, but views will vary a bit depending on where you are. There is a fence all around the water; if you are up by the fence, no one can get in front of you.
The fireworks, lasers and dancing water will be visible all over. The X shape in the water are water screens that show projections during the show. The 4 half circle screens are 2 sided and show similar projections.
There is a bigger circular water screen in the center which shows different projections than the other screens. During the day you can check out the view; if you can see the large Items in the water, you can figure out what your view will be.
If anyone in your group is concerned about being close to speakers, you can also check for those during the day.
2AC3DF76-E76A-493D-928F-53D63F720633.jpeg
The areas marked in hot pink are usually the most congested, especially the area at the entrance to World Showcase. They have the most direct, head on view of the big screen and people tend to like the WorldShowcase entrance area for a quick exit after the show.
We avoid those areas because of the crowds and we usually stay put for a while after and let the crowds go out in front of us.
The area I marked in yellow is the pathway in front of the Odyssey building on the bridge between Test Track and Mexico. It can be a good spot to watch from if you want to be a bit away from the crowds and action. There are also restrooms you can duck into if the fireworks are too much for anyone.
Another spot I didn’t mark is going up to the raised areas in Canada (the first country to your left as you enter World Showcase).

we've also done along the bridge to tomorrowland. We don't mind missing the projections so being a distance away is not an issue.

Also one horribly rainy day we ended up waiting in front of Casey's and they ended up doing fireworks and that ended up being an ok location for watching though getting away from the location meant crowds.

For shows, staying to the back/sides. Not the ideal view, but keeps you away from people the most.

Likewise for parades, staying to the back. We've founda few locations over time that have worked well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter