Pulling kids out of school to homeschool (Coronavirus)

cndmama05

Mouseketeer
Hi guys
We are seriously considering pulling our kids out of school for the rest of the year as a trial for homsechooling. With the coronavrius going on, school board rolling strikes (in Ontario, Canada) and just feeling like our daughter is falling behind in some areas of school). Our girls are in grade 2 and junior kindergarten. They both like school and are doing well but my 2nd grader gets sick a lot. Seems to catch everything going around and may have slight asthma. I know a bunch of her school mates are going on trips during march break and I am terrified about her catching the coronavirus when kids and teachers return to school. We were planning to homeschool starting next january also, so this is just speeding up the process. I have no problems putting them back into school of it doesn't work out. We live in an area where homeschooling is not a big thing, but the education isn't too highly rated either. It is a super safe place to live and kids in the neighbourhood play freely together. I am not worried about the lack of social activities as the girls are involved in various after school activities as it is. But there just isn't a large himeschooling group or community to join with. Does this sound like a good idea? Btw I work from home as the office manager of our small business so I have the flexibility to homeschool.

Do it! I’ve been homeschooling for eight years and it’s the best decision we ever made. My oldest is in regular high school now, and like you, I find nothing is getting done with the rolling strikes, pa days, breaks, etc.

We don’t make use of a homeschool community. The kids are active in swimming and have friends outside of traditional school. It takes care of itself.

My twins are in grade five now but work at the grade ten level in math and grade nine in language. Our day runs from nine until two. So much freedom to do other things.

PM me if you want help getting started. You won’t regret it.

Do it. I have three children, and my middle one is online (home) schooled. She is an unstable asthmatic and also a competitive athlete. She was ALWAYS sick from school- it was starting to have a real effect on her health. We pulled her out for the final quarter of the year last year and I WISH i had done it sooner. She gets lots of socialization with her sport, youth group, etc so this just allows her to work at home for school. She has also been able to move faster in areas where she is ahead (ex math) and I believe it has strengthened her academics.

If I'm understanding what I'm reading, it seems like homeschooling is something you've considered, and the uncertainty of the coronavirus is the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. If that's the case, go for it. Why wait if--deep in your heart--you know it's something you want to try?

Your girls are at a wonderful age to start homeschooling (in my opinion FWIW). It will take some time to get into the rhythm for your family, but that's the beauty of it. The added bonus is not having to worry as much about all of the illnesses that kids love to share with one another. While that was not a driving force in our decision to homeschool, it has been so nice over the years to dodge the flu, strep, hand-foot-and-mouth disease, and a plethora of other things that plagued the neighborhood kids at times. I feel like we have been able to be more productive because of it.

Good luck with your decision. It's a big one, and I say that as a "reluctant" homeschool mom of 7 years who, now, would not have it any other way.

We are continuing to send our son to school in Seattle. I see no reason not to send him.

If it is something you REALLY want, DO IT! I homeschool my kids and we love it. There are so many resources and tons of homeschool communities. I think we don't get sick as much as a lot of kids because we are home. If we start sniffling, we stay home from activities. Education still happens, but "extras" do not. Do your research and do what works for your family. Good luck!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter