Pumpkin Job -- recipe for the crockpot

Hi guys, I'm wondering if I did something wrong here. I made the recipe as directed. It was done in about and hour, I think...It was like a quiche texture, fluffy and eggy...like a custard. I have a big crock pot that's oval shaped and not so deep, so I'm wonderiing if that makes for the difference.

Can someone tell me if this is the right consistancy? It's good, but almost undessert-like. I'm letting it cool, and will add some whipped cream...I love it, but I'm wondering if my sugar addicted son and hubby will "get it"

Thanks! :)

Robin - When I finally made it correctly ;) the texture was sort of like a thick custard - or kind of quiche-like . . . depends on your description. I made it in my 5qt round crock instead of the 5.5 oval - so I'm not sure about the timing issue. I do remember peeking at it after about 2 hours & it didn't look done . . . kind of wet on top, like a cake that is set, but not done.

As I think about it, though, I'd guess that the oval 5.5 would affect the time required . . . it spreads out to cover a larger area & isn't as deep.

BTW - It is wonderful when served warm with ice cream - to the point that when there is any left-over, my kids will nuke it, just to have with the ice cream! :D Both DH & DS like their sweets & ask every time I use the smaller crock-pot if we're "having that wonderful dessert again?" So it must seem like a dessert to them. ;)

Oh, and I asked DH about having it cold with whipped cream & he said he thought it made a better dessert when warm.

Deb to the rescure!! Thank you...and I was actually wrong....my son adores this stuff!! He asked if we could take some to his teacher tomorrow so they can make it in school! (they are always doing cooking...which is kinda cool!) I think I have the right consistency then. I loved LOVED loved it with breyers vanilla icecream! I ate too much! DS liked it both hot and cold. Hubby won't be home till tomorrow...this was kind of a dry run, but I think I won one. Thanks Beth for the recipe, and thanks Deb for the help!!

BTW Deb, hope you guys had a good holiday! Things looking up??

Hugs to all!! :D

Robin - How sweet of you to ask! We had a lovely holiday. DD was home for a week (3 days of conferences & then 2 for the holiday) and we did a lot of crafts, saw Harry Potter twice, visited both families . . . . just generally had a great, relaxing time. :D

On the other hand, the job market for IT in this area is actually worse than a couple of months ago. I'm still looking, but trying really hard to think of what else I could do . . . I'm kind of losing hope to find a job evaluating software or training people to use software.

I'm so glad your son liked the recipe. (I hate it when I try something that I like & then someone else doesn't. :( ) How was your holiday?

Made this again the other night. After I got it almost all mixed up, I discovered that DH had finished off all our eggs last weekend. I added a little extra Bisquick hoping it would still set up. It wasn't as good and it got a little too done around the edges, but everyone still ate it. Need to go get eggs! :D

I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed this recipe. I did the double batch for Thanksgiving -- I just cooked it to the long side of the range on high and it was fine. Everyone liked it except my mom and that's understandable since she doesn't like Pumpkin pie either. There is something about the color she doesn't like. She also dislike pumpkin pie spice. I went very light on that flavoring since I'm not a big nutmeg person either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter