Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! Updated 8.29.2014x2!

Just found your TR and I'm totally loving it!! I remember you posting about it on Twitter (I'm @penelopepeach), but I didn't realize you were posting this here! It's so fun to read about your perspective as a WDW vet, and DL first-timer. Given that we grew up with DL, that excitement and confusion you felt is totally what we went through during our first trip to WDW in 2008 (well, I had been once as a kid, but it was 20+ years before). Now we've been close to 10 times, and even spent our honeymoon there - it's our home away from home. lol

Sorry to hear about your eyes, but glad they're doing better. :goodvibes

Hi Theresa! So sorry to hear about your eyes, you poor dear. I hope that everything gets better soon :goodvibes Your jungle cruise sounded like fun! And the part with the girl :lmao: classic Disney.....love it! OOOH the Matterhorn! We are so looking forward to this ride in July for sure! That is interesting that the two sides are a bit different in how they ride. That is good to know! That stinks that RSR was down again! But on the plus side yay for more Carsland pictures:woohoo: Great Update! Cannot wait to hear more :upsidedow

Thank you! I'm just glad they're doing better than they were!

You're going to love the Matterhorn! Easily one of my favorite rides at Disneyland. I wish I would have gone on it more, or ridden it at night. Next time!

Yahh!! Thanks for the info.

When I went on the Matterhorn on the left and it was very bumpy. I'm 25 years old and it made me feel like I was 40, lol. Next time I will definitely be requesting the right side and hopefully, it will be a better experience.

You're welcome!

It's interesting how different two sides of the same attraction can be. I wonder if the difference in intensity is intentional, or just something to do with how that side of the track was put down.

Just found your TR and I'm totally loving it!! I remember you posting about it on Twitter (I'm @penelopepeach), but I didn't realize you were posting this here! It's so fun to read about your perspective as a WDW vet, and DL first-timer. Given that we grew up with DL, that excitement and confusion you felt is totally what we went through during our first trip to WDW in 2008 (well, I had been once as a kid, but it was 20+ years before). Now we've been close to 10 times, and even spent our honeymoon there - it's our home away from home. lol

Sorry to hear about your eyes, but glad they're doing better. :goodvibes

Welcome!! Glad you found me here! :goodvibes

It's definitely interesting to hear the things that really jump out at people who have spent a lot of time at one park, then fly across the country to visit the other one. It seems like a lot of the things the 'outsiders' love about our home parks are things we sometimes take for granted because we're so used to them!

Thank you!

Enjoying your report. I really have to get out to Disneyland soon!

Thanks! I know what you mean - I was just there a couple months ago, but writing this trip report has made me want to go back so badly! Hopefully sometime next year!

Chapter 11: DCA Photo Tour

P8070166_zps313dd3a2.jpg

P8070168_zpsbbcd0c9e.jpg

We talked about riding Luigi’s Flying Tires, but we weren’t sure if Scott would be able to get onto the tire – with his knee surgery being so recent, he was still having some difficulty bending/lifting his knee, which he would have needed to do to get into the tire.

P8070169_zpsc1579dbd.jpg

We decided to watch some people on the ride, so he could see what getting in and out would have involved.

P8070170_zps8bf96734.jpg

Ultimately, Scott decided it was probably better not to risk it, so we decided to move on. There was still so much of DCA we had yet to see!

P8070171_zpsabb6da1c.jpg

I loved the ‘billboards’ they had between Bugs Land and Radiator Springs – here’s the sign heading in the opposite direction:

P8070172_zps8b57810a.jpg

P8070174_zpsc159f4d3.jpg

Someone is not impressed.

P8070175_zpsb45c01bf.jpg

P8070176_zps92609ad2.jpg

One of my favorite big details in DCA was Grizzly Peak!

P8070177_zpsfc579e03.jpg

And of course, the Red Car Trolleys:

P8070178_zps7fe3f230.jpg

P8070180_zpse633af5b.jpg

Remember what I said about Disneyland having entertainment every time you turned a corner? The same could be said for DCA!

P8070179_zps1384e1f9.jpg

P8070181_zps21dbeea4.jpg

Disney’s Hollywood Studios! (wait, what? Where am I??)

P8070183_zps746c4676.jpg

PIIIGS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

P8070184_zps9ca262d4.jpg

Between the Monsters Inc ride and the Mad T Party, this are the park was extremely bright and colorful!

P8070186_zpscf9d842b.jpg

P8070188_zps57cda24b.jpg

Sunset Boulevard? I’m ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille!

P8070190_zps315f93e6.jpg

P8070192_zps28e050cb.jpg

Hey Mike Wazowski!

P8070191_zps713f0da8.jpg

While we were over on this side of the park, there was something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that I had to do…

Chapter 12: DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P8070193_zpsddc3a7d2.jpg

This probably seems like a bit of an odd place to go for two adults with no kids, since it mainly seems to be used as a place for parents to let their children get out of the heat and let off some excess energy that may have built up from waiting in lines.

P8070194_zpscb15ff2f.jpg

However, there is one specific character whom I absolutely adore, but stopped meeting in Walt Disney World years ago. Although she meets frequently in the international parks, the only place she could be found in the United States was right here.

P8070196_zps265b57e8.jpg

AND THERE SHE WAS!!!!!!!!!

P8070197_zpsf387205d.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS IN THE SAME ROOM AS CLARICE!!

P8070200_zps82dd57f6.jpg

AND THEN SHE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!

Now, I don’t typically do character meets, mostly because in WDW the lines are so long, and since most of our trips are only for a few days once every year and a half, waiting in lines for characters just isn’t a priority for me. But Clarice’s short, Two Chips and a Miss, was one of my favorites from my childhood, and I’ve just always adored her.

P8070201_zps96ca33fa.jpg

I pretty much told her all of that too, haha. I was just SO EXCITED, because I really never thought I’d ever get a chance to have my picture taken with her.

P8070202_zps49f23f53.jpg

Oh Disney, you really can make dreams come true!!

Love, love, love your pictures from Disneyland! Such beautiful pictures on a nice sunny day!

Joining in! :wave2:

I'm right there with you on the DL version of Pirates compared to the WDW version! It's so hard to not compare the two parks, but when the version of a ride at one park is that much more awesome than the version of the same ride at the other park, it's inevitable!

You definitely made the right call on avoiding the swinging cars on Mickey's (Not-So) Fun Wheel! My brother and I opted for the swinging cars, while my parents and sister avoided them, and parents and sister enjoyed it SO much more than I did! We were in a car with a couple of foreign guys, and I couldn't understand what they were saying, but from their gestures I was able to figure out that they were concerned that I was going to vomit on them because I was green! Ugh, so not fun!

INDIANA JONES IS AWESOME! I've never heard people compare it to Dinosaur, but I can sort of see how people can think that because of the ride vehicles. Except that Indiana Jones is amazing and so much better than Dinosaur! (at least in my opinion!)

Aww! Your picture with Clarice is adorable! :goodvibes

You made a good call for Luigi's - I understand the want to experience it, but man, it is so boring. I was so excited at the idea of it when they announced it, but now I really wouldn't be sad if they shut it down to make way for something better. lol

Loving your TR!!!! Your pics are great! So happy you got to meet your favorite character... gotta love disney magic.

Love, love, love your pictures from Disneyland! Such beautiful pictures on a nice sunny day!

Thank you! We really lucked out with the weather while we were there!

Joining in! :wave2:

I'm right there with you on the DL version of Pirates compared to the WDW version! It's so hard to not compare the two parks, but when the version of a ride at one park is that much more awesome than the version of the same ride at the other park, it's inevitable!

You definitely made the right call on avoiding the swinging cars on Mickey's (Not-So) Fun Wheel! My brother and I opted for the swinging cars, while my parents and sister avoided them, and parents and sister enjoyed it SO much more than I did! We were in a car with a couple of foreign guys, and I couldn't understand what they were saying, but from their gestures I was able to figure out that they were concerned that I was going to vomit on them because I was green! Ugh, so not fun!

INDIANA JONES IS AWESOME! I've never heard people compare it to Dinosaur, but I can sort of see how people can think that because of the ride vehicles. Except that Indiana Jones is amazing and so much better than Dinosaur! (at least in my opinion!)

Hi!! Glad to see you over here =)

Hearing your story just reconfirmed that I made the right call - I'm not prone to motion sickness on most thrill rides, but something about repetitive circular motion really gets to me. I'm sure I would have turned pretty green too.

I'm a huge fan of dinosaurs (obviously, haha), so I do enjoy Dinosaur, but I've heard they've toned down the ride a lot, especially since its Countdown to Extinction days. I wonder if the original version was a bit more exciting in the way that Indy is.

Aww! Your picture with Clarice is adorable! :goodvibes

You made a good call for Luigi's - I understand the want to experience it, but man, it is so boring. I was so excited at the idea of it when they announced it, but now I really wouldn't be sad if they shut it down to make way for something better. lol

Thank you! Seriously one of the highlights of the trip - just seeing her made the whole thing worth it.

I mostly wanted to do Luigi's simply because I want to try and experience every attraction at least once. Glad to hear I didn't miss out too much though.

Hey guys! I just returned from a couple days in Florida, which was a great break from the crazy winter we've been having in Maryland. During one of those days, Scott and I actually spent some time at WDW! We didn't go to any of the parks, but we did visit some of the resorts we've never been to before (Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Art of Animation) and met up with a fellow DIS-er (Disneyfreak616 AKA Disney_frump on Twitter/Instagram). If any of you are interested in our pictures from our day there, I'll be sure to post them - just let me know! Now back to the Disneyland trip report!

Chapter 13: The Most Underrated Attraction in DCA

50043490049_zps5409156d.jpg

After meeting Clarice, I was kind of walking around in a daze and needed something really low impact to keep me from keeling over. The Animation Building seemed like the perfect place to go!

P8070203_zpseaf5950d.jpg

Alright, I have to say – I was not expecting the Animation Building to be as absolutely amazing as it was. Those of you who are familiar with WDWs The Magic of Disney Animation know that the building is home to Animation Academy, some meet and greet locations, and a look at artwork from upcoming and classic Disney films.

P8070206_zpsdbb975c3.jpg

P8070207_zps6ae84b7d.jpg

The Disneyland Animation building does share some similarities – most notably, the Animation Academy.

P8070208_zps7d3ec956.jpg

Right before we started drawing, someone’s pencil broke, and the Cast Member leading the class said “Whoops, that must have been a Dreamworks pencil.” Haha. We were drawing Perry today!

P8070209_zps908b8d6f.jpg

P8070210_zps1201bccd.jpg

After exiting the Animation Academy, this is where things really start to become interesting – the majority of the Animation Building is full of interactive exhibits about animation, and just looks really cool! One of the first things you see is a Toy Story zoetrope.

P8070212_zpsfb99d442.jpg

After it starts to spin quickly, they do something with the lights on the zoetrope that gives the still objects the appearance of being animated! If that sounds really confusing, here’s a video of what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3GBPNqHVLw

Next, we went into the Sorcerer’s Workshop

P8070213_zpsc5eb2363.jpg

Knowing my obsession with light fixtures, it shouldn’t surprise you that this was my favorite room in the building!

P8070214_zpsbc06b37a.jpg

P8070215_zps5a08b475.jpg

In this room, it expanded on the effect of the zoetrope, but with still images rather than figures. You could walk around the room and look at a number of different ways multiple images could be combined to animate something.

P8070218_zpsc498c05c.jpg

P8070221_zps15ced808.jpg

Every now and then the Magic Mirror would appear and speak to us!

P8070219_zpse9cdadec.jpg

P8070220_zps53150677.jpg

After leaving the Sorcerer’s Workshop, you entered the Beast’s library.

P8070222_zpsd343b2d6.jpg

Here you could take a personality test and find out which Disney/Pixar character you are most like.

P8070223_zps8a1653ef.jpg

P8070225_zps27f9d432.jpg

I laughed really hard that my red-headed husband wound up with one of the only red-headed male characters, since I don’t think there were any questions about physical appearance, other than gender.

P8070226_zpscb73cc51.jpg

I would love to know how many character options there were, because they weren’t limiting themselves to the main characters that everyone is familiar with. Case in point…

P8070228_zpsa55a2d60.jpg

P8070229_zpsedb724ce.jpg

Apparently I’m not even human!

They also had a rose and portrait of the Beast similar to what they have in the West Wing at Be Our Guest in WDW.

P8070231_zps47cdd2b2.jpg

After leaving the library, you are then transported under the sea where you encounter Ursula.

P8070233_zps034e634d.jpg

This section is all about matching up sound with animation. You choose from a number of different scenes, and then provide your own voices for the characters.

P8070234_zps0cf5075d.jpg

The Animation Building was definitely one of the biggest surprises of the trip! I really had no clue it was going to be so interactive and encompassing.

Even the lobby area was cool – the images, sound and lighting are constantly changing to showcase a different movie.

P8070235_zps0f62623d.jpg

Next Chapter

All caught up! I found your report about the Animation building wonderful and interesting! Definitely have to remember to do that :)

Awesome trip report! Just found it and got caught up. Subscribing for future updates now :)

Hi Theresa!

I just found your report and am loving your gorgeous pictures!!!

I have to agree with you about the nasty lemon cupcake from Hungry Bear---I'm cringing, just remembering the taste---we were so mad we had spent money on that thing;)!

We also agree with you about the complaints of the Matterhorn---we're not huge roller coaster fans, but we just don't find it to be as bad as everyone says--we do avoid the left side, however!

Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!:)

Wow, that Animation building really does look amazing.

It really is! I could have spent so much more time in there, but it was still early in the trip and I wanted to fit in as much as we could. Definitely one of my Must Dos though ;)

All caught up! I found your report about the Animation building wonderful and interesting! Definitely have to remember to do that :)

Woohoo! Glad you're caught up :thumbsup2 And that you enjoyed our visit to the Animation Building! It wasn't something I expected to love as much as I did, since I don't feel like I hear many people talking about it, but it really was a highlight of our trip.

Awesome trip report! Just found it and got caught up. Subscribing for future updates now :)

Welcome! Happy to have you hear!

Hi Theresa!

I just found your report and am loving your gorgeous pictures!!!

I have to agree with you about the nasty lemon cupcake from Hungry Bear---I'm cringing, just remembering the taste---we were so mad we had spent money on that thing;)!

We also agree with you about the complaints of the Matterhorn---we're not huge roller coaster fans, but we just don't find it to be as bad as everyone says--we do avoid the left side, however!

Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!:)

Welcome! Thanks for joining in and for the compliment about the pictures!

I'm glad to hear there is someone else who shares my opinion on the lemon cupcake, since just about everyone I've talked to seems to love it. I just expected something *more* from it. And that you've had the same Matterhorn experience as me! Makes me feel like I'm not somehow missing something that everyone else is experiencing, lol.

Chapter 14: Quiet down, you Tiki Room Reject!

After we left the Animation Building, we noticed that the next performance of Aladdin was starting to allow people in to the theatre. I’d heard so much about this show prior to our trip, I knew we had to stop in and see it.
This isn’t the best picture, but for reference here is the entrance to the Hyperion Theatre, where Aladdin is performed.

P8070189_zpse2c3126c.jpg

I laughed pretty hard because after you go through the doors, you turn to your right to queue up for the show…and this is the view.

P8070237_zps1bb8bf15.jpg

Gotta love Hollywood!

We were near the end of the line, so our seats were in one of the last rows of the theatre.

IMG_1655-2_zps92e383a7.jpg

This was such a cute show! The actors and the dancers were both fantastic, and they did a great job turning the film version into a stage show (speaking of – I can’t WAIT to see it on Broadway!)

P8070240_zpse6aab677.jpg

The highlight of the show, as I’m sure you can guess, is the Genie. The Genie’s lines change on a regular basis to reflect different things going on in pop culture at the time (there was at least one Honey Boo Boo reference in our show).

P8070243_zps02cead71.jpg

I laughed hysterically at one point when the Genie called Iago a “Tiki Room Reject” (in reference to being taken out of the WDW Enchanted Tiki Room during its post-fire refurbishment a few years ago.

P8070246_zpsb9eb922d.jpg

After the show, we wanted to back to CarsLand to see if we could redeem our Radiator Springs Racers fast passes, but it was still down. However, there was a hidden Pixar tribute in the area that I wanted to search for and see if I could find for myself – and was successful! If you go to the main building of the Cozy Cone Motel (you know, the one that isn’t cone-shaped) and take a close look at one of the shelves, you’ll see…

P8070247_zps08f576d2.jpg

Buzz Lightyear! I didn’t see references to any other Pixar movies while we were there, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear if there are some. If you know of any, be sure to leave a comment!

P8070252_zpsc61f7123.jpg

This might be one of my favorite photo-op places in CarsLand, simply because I’m really corny like that.

P8070251_zps69216856.jpg

Hey Scott – I can still see you!

P8070253_zps95dff1b7.jpg

Another great photo spot, just outside of CarsLand

50043490051_zps3c5e1066.jpg

We had to leave the park to get ready to meet a friend of mine for dinner in Downtown Disney, but first I wanted to pick up one of the coolest free souvenirs you can find at any Disney park.

IMG_1659-2_zps5c92b1fc.jpg

If you go to the DCA Chamber of Commerce on Buena Vista Street (and occasionally, some of the other shops in the area), you can pick up a copy of the Buena Vista Bugle, a newspaper that is updated regularly with things happening at the park. I hope this is something they keep around for awhile!

P8070255_zpse98ed5ee.jpg

For those of you not familiar with Disneyland, you’ll be happy to know that Downtown Disney is also connected to the Disneyland Esplanade. It’s actually what links the Disneyland and Paradise Pier Hotels to the parks.

P8070259_zps8121583b.jpg

The above picture made me really excited because I spotted someone in it wearing an Orioles shirt. I’m a huge baseball fanatic. I actually went down to Sarasota a couple weeks ago, hoping to watch a spring training game - but the one we were supposed to go to was rained out. :sad2: At least I have a ticket to go to the Orioles opening day game tomorrow!

P8070260_zpscb99b783.jpg

P8070261_zpsa07cec21.jpg

I didn’t take many pictures during this part of our evening, so I’ll give you a brief summary. I was going to be meeting up with my friend Samantha and her fiancé (she actually had just gotten engaged at Disneyland a few weeks earlier!). We hadn’t really discussed where to eat for dinner other than Downtown Disney, so we wandered around for a couple minutes trying to decide. Eventually we settled on Naples, a pizza place which is actually owned by the same people who run Via Napoli at Epcot in WDW. The food, service and company were all fantastic!

P8080268_zps3531bf69.jpg

We wanted to spend some more time in Disneyland, so we decided to take the monorail! For those of you not familiar with Disneyland’s monorail, it goes from Downtown Disney into Tomorrowland and back.

P8080269_zps6f94b304.jpg

Whoops…looks like someone lost something…

P8080271_zpsea783389.jpg

The main thing that stood out to me about Disneyland’s monorail…there was no Jack Wagner!! Nobody telling me to Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas! I’m not going to lie, I definitely missed having that on the monorail, haha. At least I got to hear him on the Matterhorn. Permanecer sentados por favor.

P8080276_zps83078c9b.jpg

Once in Tomorrowland, we decided to do another ride on the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters before heading into Fantasyland.

P8080275_zps977d88f0.jpg

P8080277_zps496bd3bf.jpg

Here’s Scott’s score – I’m not going to even bother posting mine, because it was BAD. I don’t know why I always have so much trouble on this ride!

IMG_1662_zps7d6376c8.jpg

This is the one ride that takes an on-ride photo, but isn’t liked to PhotoPass+ (or Memory Maker – I know that’s what they’re calling it at WDW, not sure if they’re using that name at Disneyland yet or not).

P8080278_zpse6d60e08.jpg

However, you can e-mail the photo to yourself. I don’t have a copy of the picture in my e-mails so we must have sent it to Scott’s account – I’ll post it here if I can get it from him!

Continued in next chapter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter