Punta Cana

Jsme

DIS Veteran
We have booked an AI for the end of March to Punta Cana. I would love to have some information from disers who have been there. What you did, if you did a tour or things of that nature.

I have read on another board that the mosquitos or no-see-ems can be horrilbe at times. I am highly allergic to them and I tend to be bit often when others around me are not biten once. I am careful and do not use lotions that may attract them. The last time I was bite 13 times on my legs only. I was the only one bit out of 6 people. I had cakes (this is what my doctor) on my legs that took am month to finally fade away. Any suggestions on keeping them from eating me alive? I am allergic to Avon Sunscreen with the Bug Guard.

Congrats. The beaches are so gorgeous.

We went there and I dont remember any mosquitos biting us. I know in the early morning and late evening on the beach there were sand fleas but we usually werent out that late.

The biggest complaint about PC is the language barrier. It bothered DH but I had 5 yrs of Spanish so we got by just fine.

Enjoy, did I mention how gorgeous the beaches are???:rotfl:

My mom and her BF have been to Punta Cana and she said the same thing about the language barrier. In most other resort places, english is fluent, but in Punta Cana they encountered alot of people still trying to learn the English language.

I didn't have issues with mosquitoes. But Off has this new stuff that's like a non-sticky non greasy spray that is really nice and works great.

I also find that a drop of Deet on your pulse points works great. We camp a lot and I find that the deet works best without having to slather yourself in spray. You can find Deet at the local camping/outdoors store.

We were in punta cana a few years ago. I found if you say por favor and gracias a lot, the people were very friendly and more willing to try to talk english. We did have a problem with mosquitoes at one of the beach side resteraunts one night and we ended up leaving before our dinner came so keep that in mind. (The rest of the resort was fine though) We were advised by friends not to stray off the property. The drive from the airport convinced us. The towns we passed were kind of shady looking. We did book a horseback riding excursion where they picked us up and dropped us off right at the resort which was ok but when we were not right on the beach with the horses, the mosquitoes were horrible.

I know this sounds really wierd but my next door neighbor tears dryer sheets in strips and pins them to her shorts. She swears it keeps flies, mosquitos, etc. away. My not look the best but if they are biting you that much it may be worth a shot. Jenn

I didn't have issues with mosquitoes. But Off has this new stuff that's like a non-sticky non greasy spray that is really nice and works great.

I also find that a drop of Deet on your pulse points works great. We camp a lot and I find that the deet works best without having to slather yourself in spray. You can find Deet at the local camping/outdoors store.

Do you mean Deet as in Off or is there an actual can of Deet? I know Deet can be dangerous if used in high amounts.

I have read about the language barrier as well. I do not speak Spanish so this will be fun. lol DH does not either. We did do fine in PV, Mazatlan and Cabo but that is much more touristy.

I have heard of dryer sheets too but had forgotten about them.

From what I have read is if the mosquitos are out you are in trouble and more so if you tend to attract them. As I first posted I do attract them. We have a love hate relationship. Crap they eat me alive when we are in PC going out on a cruise too!! They do in my backyard.

DH and I have talked about buying one of those Clay Off Insensces type things. We use to have one but it broke. I am going to looking for one of those, I will also look for the "new" off and see if that helps. I do plan on taking cintronella candles as well.

Do you mean Deet as in Off or is there an actual can of Deet? I know Deet can be dangerous if used in high amounts.
I mean the actual 100% deet. It is sold in a small bottle with a platic applicator, like how iodine is sold at the drug stores. I haven't bought it in a while but that's the last way I saw it.

It can be dangerous but you don't slather yourself in it. If you buy it ask the sales guy at the local camping/outdoor store to show you where to put it. It's literally a drop on your pulse points: wrists, behind the knees, neck and I like to do the insides of my elbows. It works for me and you don't feel gross or greasy all day.

And usually lasts all day unless your doing some water activities. But I was camping and we applied it in the morning and maybe had to reapply at night when we were eating dinner.

I mean the actual 100% deet. It is sold in a small bottle with a platic applicator, like how iodine is sold at the drug stores. I haven't bought it in a while but that's the last way I saw it.

It can be dangerous but you don't slather yourself in it. If you buy it ask the sales guy at the local camping/outdoor store to show you where to put it. It's literally a drop on your pulse points: wrists, behind the knees, neck and I like to do the insides of my elbows. It works for me and you don't feel gross or greasy all day.

And usually lasts all day unless your doing some water activities. But I was camping and we applied it in the morning and maybe had to reapply at night when we were eating dinner.

Thanks!!! As you can tell I am not a camper. lol

Thanks!!! As you can tell I am not a camper. lol
Lol, no problem. You might want to spot check yourself when you buy it before you use it for the first time. We did that when we first used it and for having sensitive skin in my family we did ok!

Lol, no problem. You might want to spot check yourself when you buy it before you use it for the first time. We did that when we first used it and for having sensitive skin in my family we did ok!

OH I will. I learned that in PV when I used the Avon Bug Sunscreen stuff. I used it once and was fine but the second time I used it I could not get the stuff off of me quick enough. Within seconds I was broken out in hives and I could hardly contain myself from scratching myself bloody.

Don't worry yourself too much about the language barrier on your resort property. I was there 3 yrs ago and found the maids to be the only ones that spoke little or no english. The front desk staff, bartenders, and wait staff all spoke english well enough. Even when we called room service there was no problems. We did try to use common spanish words like "Hola" and "Gracias" at all times.

What resort did you pick? I'm in the planning stages for May.

I am also very allergic to mosquito & no-see-ums bites and everytime we go to the Caribbean I just wear long linen pants when we go eat outside of the hotel in the evenings, don't go to the beach at dusk, use a very little amount of bug spray with deet (since too much I get a rash), and just try to enjoy myself. Punta Cana is alot of fun and much more reasonable than other islands.

Weird! My DH just sent me a link to an AI in Punta Cana for our 10 year anniversary trip this fall. At the Exellence resort - anyone stay there? Looks great!

Jenny:)

What resort did you pick? I'm in the planning stages for May.

We chose Majestic but looked at the Riu. The finally pull for Majestic was a direct flight from our local airport to Punta Cana verse a layover for the same price.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an excursion? My DH would like to go to a cigar factory but I was thinking about some type of snorkeling or party type boat. I have read you can take a taxi to a cigar factory and they will take you on a tour like that without being in an actual tour. Of course I have also read you must be careful and negotiate with your driver the fee for a round trip otherwise you will be left and then at the mercy of the taxi driver's fee because you can not stay there.

Weird! My DH just sent me a link to an AI in Punta Cana for our 10 year anniversary trip this fall. At the Exellence resort - anyone stay there? Looks great!

Jenny:)

I have read good reviews on the Excellence. We have had our AI booked since my DH came back from working in Texas in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter