• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchase a Tux for cruising?

mlandgrebe

Mouseketeer
Any suggestions on where to buy a nice but inexpensive tux for my DH? We are going on the WBTA this September and the Hawaii cruise next April so we will have a few formal nights. Last time, he spent $160 to rent his tux through the cruise line formal wear company but we were thinking that we could save some $$ if we just have him buy one & bring it. (He knows he could just wear a suit, but he likes the James Bond feeling. :groom:)

I got DH a tux from JCPenney's for $69 on sale!! It is really nice. It was just the jacket and pants, I think. I believe I bought the tux shirt separately from Penneys. I went to the tux shop and was able to buy a vest and long tie (not bow tie) and handkerchief thing from them as they were selling off old stock or something. They were nice, silver color.

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/XGN.as...6FB46B3941110716&cmResetCat=true&hdnOnGo=true

ry%3D400

I bought it for our first cruise and we have cruised 5 or 6 times since then. So it was the best money I ever spent for our cruises!

Maggie

Check places like Syms, Mens Warehouse, Marshalls and even Burlington Coat Factory. Sometimes a local tux rental place will also sell tuxes at a reasonable price.

We did the math before purchasing DH's tux. Even paying rack rate on a tux with all the trimmings, we figure we would cover the cost in about 3 years (we usually go on one cruise and attend one or two formal events a year--renting a tux 3x a year adds up).

Totally off topic, but I'm so happy to read that there are others who take formal nights on cruises seriously. My hubby always wears at least a suit, but usually a tux ($400 at Men's Wearhouse) and it just seems that so many don't nowadays.

I got mine about 2 years ago at besttuxedo.com. I got a summer weight wool tux shirt, bow tie, vest and studs for around $150. They are still listing a wool tux for $70. You have to spend to get the pants altered and the jacket fitted but I figured with that cruise and the one I took in November 2010 I paid for it. The tailor thought the tux was pretty well made.

J C Penney frequently has tuxedos on sale -- REALLY cheap! We also bought a "set" that included tux shirt, bow tie and cufflinks that was next to nothing. (Actually, bought two of those, since missing a cufflink or having a problem with a tux shirt could be disastrous, and the sets were so inexpensive.)

Nice not to have to worry about fittings and returns, also. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! He's still searching but this helps guide us. He did find a place on e-bay for Mickey vests/ties so he'll probably get those parts there and keep looking for sales. He's a very small size so he's a little leary about buying off the rack from the internet. We know he'll need to get it altered no matter where he buys it so we have to factor that into the cost.

@rubato - we loved the formal nights and agree that it would be nice if people would take them more seriously. That's part of the fun of cruising! (Well, that and the pirate nights)

My DH and a couple of his friends got theirs from JC Penney's also. They are great. We just bought a couple extra vests that are versital to go with it.

I purchased mine for crusing at JCPenny. They seem to always be "on sale" there.

I have also seen tuxes and many accessories at a Burlington Coat Factory near me. Went there to get my red tie and cummerbund - Penny's only had black, and sometimes I'm in a more festive mood.

Subscribe to Jos. A Bank, they virtually have sales every day. Excellent quality.

Subscribe to Jos. A Bank, they virtually have sales every day. Excellent quality.

Agreed! We were able to get a very good price on a white dinner jacket (a style straight out of early, "Bond. James Bond.") for DH at the Jos. A. Bank shop in Ft. Lauderdale. DH's formal wear got a round of applause when we walked into the bar on the Disney Magic!

Totally off topic, but I'm so happy to read that there are others who take formal nights on cruises seriously. My hubby always wears at least a suit, but usually a tux ($400 at Men's Wearhouse) and it just seems that so many don't nowadays.

Really? I read the title and thought "why would anyone want to dress up so formally on a vacation?". I guess to each their own. This is one big plus for our choosing Norwegian Cruises. We prefer to relax on vacation.

Really? I read the title and thought "why would anyone want to dress up so formally on a vacation?". I guess to each their own. This is one big plus for our choosing Norwegian Cruises. We prefer to relax on vacation.

It's pretty obvious what the OP is asking. There are lots of arguments about formal vs informal on CruiseCritic.com if that's what you're looking for.

It's been quite a few years since DH bought his but we got a good deal at Syms. I want to say around $100 if that, but the one by us is now closed. Not sure if they still have them anywhere else.

Also, if you have a Value City near you they would probably have them for cheap. Ours closed around by us too, so not sure if that's an option for you.

If you go to Penney's make sure you bring a discount coupon - they are ALWAYS mailing me 15, 20% off coupons, (I'm sure you can find some online as well) plus if you make a purchase and do their online survey, they will give you a 15% off coupon to use on your next purchase. It's possible they will stack them too....good luck and enjoy your cruise(s)!

If you go to Penney's make sure you bring a discount coupon - they are ALWAYS mailing me 15, 20% off coupons, (I'm sure you can find some online as well) plus if you make a purchase and do their online survey, they will give you a 15% off coupon to use on your next purchase. It's possible they will stack them too....good luck and enjoy your cruise(s)!

Very good point that I forgot. Sign up on their website and get coupons galore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter