Purchase alcohol at Orlando airport?

Fenten

Earning My Ears
We will be flying from Toronto to Orlando the day before our Fantasy cruise leaves. I was planning on packing a couple bottles of wine in our suitcase before we leave. What are my options for buying alcohol either duty-free in Toronto or are there any options to buy at the Orlando airport? We are staying at the Hyatt MCO and plan to take the cruise bus the next day to the port, so no option to stop at a store in Orlando.

Can you purchase wine (& alcohol) at the Orlando airport somewhere?

Thanks.

Depending on when you get in, there are a number of wine stores in the area. You could just grab a cab (or if the hotel has a car service?) and have them take you somewhere quick. Publix is the local grocery store and they have a decent selection.

EDIT: I just looked quick and there's a Publix 5 miles from the airport. If you really want, that'd be a quick trip.

We will be flying from Toronto to Orlando the day before our Fantasy cruise leaves. I was planning on packing a couple bottles of wine in our suitcase before we leave. What are my options for buying alcohol either duty-free in Toronto or are there any options to buy at the Orlando airport? We are staying at the Hyatt MCO and plan to take the cruise bus the next day to the port, so no option to stop at a store in Orlando.

Can you purchase wine (& alcohol) at the Orlando airport somewhere?

Thanks.
You can purchase it duty free at the Toronto airport and carry it on the plane with you. Because you are buying it after passing thru security you are allowed to carry it on the plane.

So you CAN bring alcohol onto the ship with you? I was planning on bringing my bottle of Moet that Ive been saving for a special occasion from here in NY, fly with it into MCO and bring onto cruise...

So you CAN bring alcohol onto the ship with you? I was planning on bringing my bottle of Moet that Ive been saving for a special occasion from here in NY, fly with it into MCO and bring onto cruise...

You are allowed to bring as much alcohol on the ship as you can fit in your carry on. You cannot have beverages (of any sort) in your checked luggage. I've read some people on here who carry on a small bar worth of stuff. The only stipulation is you can't carry "your" stuff in public.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/preparing-for-your-cruise/alcohol-onboard-policy/

On my carry on for the ship? Sorry, I'm a first time cruiser, I have no clue how luggage works on a cruise ship. So I would pack the alcohol in my suitcase that I am checking at the airport then transfer it into a carry on to bring onto the ship?

On my carry on for the ship? Sorry, I'm a first time cruiser, I have no clue how luggage works on a cruise ship. So I would pack the alcohol in my suitcase that I am checking at the airport then transfer it into a carry on to bring onto the ship?

Yes. DCL requires you to bring any beverages (soda, alcohol, wine, beer, whatever) onboard in your carry on bags, not checked.

Yes, DCL allows you bring on your own alcohol but it must be in your carry on that you bring onboard the ship with you. Not in your checked luggage that will be taken by a porter and delivered to your room.

Your cruise checked bags are checked at the curb by porters as they do not fit through the x-ray scanner (similar to an airport). All carryon luggage must fit through the x-ray scanner. DCL does not want any beverages to be put into checked luggage (opposite of the airlines).

So, if you are flying with booze you will have to take it out of airline checked bag and put it into your cruise carryon bag.

Anything with wheels will make carrying your booze onto the ship easier....rolling duffle, small rolling bag, etc. as long as it fits through a standard sized x-ray machine. The cabins onboard are not available until 1:30 ish so you will have your carry on bags with you until that time.

If you take DCL transfers from the airport to the ship it may get tricky because DCL pulls your checked bags from the plane before it hits the baggage carousel and it gets transported to the ship via a separate truck. You get special luggage tags that indicate you are taking DCL transfers so airport personnel know which bags to pull. You can get around this if you don't put the DCL transfers luggage tags on your bags and take the bags off the carousel yourself and switch the stuff around... but then you would have schlep the bags down to the Magical Express area of the airport to check in your checked luggage there. You would board the bus with your carryon bags.

If you rent a car you would just drop off your checked bags with a porter at the curb of the cruise terminal and proceed onboard with your carry on bags after you switched the booze into your carryons.

Confusing I know!

MJ

Yes, DCL allows you bring on your own alcohol but it must be in your carry on that you bring onboard the ship with you. Not in your checked luggage that will be taken by a porter and delivered to your room.

Your cruise checked bags are checked at the curb by porters as they do not fit through the x-ray scanner (similar to an airport). All carryon luggage must fit through the x-ray scanner. DCL does not want any beverages to be put into checked luggage (opposite of the airlines).

So, if you are flying with booze you will have to take it out of airline checked bag and put it into your cruise carryon bag.

Anything with wheels will make carrying your booze onto the ship easier....rolling duffle, small rolling bag, etc. as long as it fits through a standard sized x-ray machine. The cabins onboard are not available until 1:30 ish so you will have your carry on bags with you until that time.

If you take DCL transfers from the airport to the ship it may get tricky because DCL pulls your checked bags from the plane before it hits the baggage carousel and it gets transported to the ship via a separate truck. You get special luggage tags that indicate you are taking DCL transfers so airport personnel know which bags to pull. You can get around this if you don't put the DCL transfers luggage tags on your bags and take the bags off the carousel yourself and switch the stuff around... but then you would have schlep the bags down to the Magical Express area of the airport to check in your checked luggage there. You would board the bus with your carryon bags.

If you rent a car you would just drop off your checked bags with a porter at the curb of the cruise terminal and proceed onboard with your carry on bags after you switched the booze into your carryons.

Confusing I know!

MJ

Wow thank you so much for the very thorough response! I understand what you're saying only because Ive done Magical Express so many time and it sounds very familiar to that procedure...is it the same idea? Because then yeah, I'd hafta just keep the DCL tags off my bag. Hm...kind of a pain LOL

Wow thank you so much for the very thorough response! I understand what you're saying only because Ive done Magical Express so many time and it sounds very familiar to that procedure...is it the same idea? Because then yeah, I'd hafta just keep the DCL tags off my bag. Hm...kind of a pain LOL

Well, you really only need to keep the DCL tag off the one bag that you have the beverages packed in. You then only claim one bag, switch the drinks, and carry the one bag to the DCL transportation desk for checkin. Then you won't have to handle it again, and it will join up onboard with your other bags at your room.

Well, you really only need to keep the DCL tag off the one bag that you have the beverages packed in. You then only claim one bag, switch the drinks, and carry the one bag to the DCL transportation desk for checkin. Then you won't have to handle it again, and it will join up onboard with your other bags at your room.

True...I guess that's what I will have to do. Thanks again!

If you are staying at the Hyatt, you don't put the Disney tags on or you will not have any luggage. You will checkin to the hotel and tell them you will be taking the buses to the port. You leave your bags in your room and they come get them and transport to the ship and you will see them later in the day.
So while you are at the hotel you can put you wine in the carry on.
Have a nice trip.

If you are staying at the Hyatt, you don't put the Disney tags on or you will not have any luggage. You will checkin to the hotel and tell them you will be taking the buses to the port. You leave your bags in your room and they come get them and transport to the ship and you will see them later in the day.
So while you are at the hotel you can put you wine in the carry on.
Have a nice trip.

Well, yes. You don't put DCL luggage tags on until the day of the cruise. If you're flying and arriving at MCO on the day of the cruise, then the DCL tags will be put on at your home airport. If you're flying in early, you won't put the tags on until the day of the cruise.

I don't think the Hyatt actually does the baggage transport themselves, they just make sure that your bags get to the DCL transport.

As you are staying at the Hyatt MCO, definitely do not put the Disney luggage tags on any luggage that you need for the night before the cruise, (we don't ever put them on any luggage in advance when we stay at that hotel). Put the tags on after you get to the hotel, and if they have not collected your bags by the time you leave the hotel in the morning, double check that they have you on their list for baggage transfer to Disney. They will give you the procedures for the luggage when you check in.

With all of this said and apparently somebody responded that there is no duty-free shop in MCO. Just how is one to get alcohol on the ship if it cannot be in your checked luggage, yet I cannot bring it on the plane with me? We are doing the DCL transfers, so is my ONLY option to leave one transfer tag off of my luggage, catch it in baggage claim and pull my bottle(s) out at that point?

With all of this said and apparently somebody responded that there is no duty-free shop in MCO. Just how is one to get alcohol on the ship if it cannot be in your checked luggage, yet I cannot bring it on the plane with me? We are doing the DCL transfers, so is my ONLY option to leave one transfer tag off of my luggage, catch it in baggage claim and pull my bottle(s) out at that point?

Yes.

Or purchase at your first port stop.

I'm not sure of the logistics, but take a can from the port to the local liquor store??

I'm not sure of the logistics, but take a can from the port to the local liquor store??

Of course, unless you are a big drinker, the cost incurred to get the cab and have it wait for you might outweigh any cost savings.

In a fairly recent thread someone reported that an ABC store (local liquor chain) will deliver to the Hyatt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter