Purchase gift cards onboard?

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
I searched and couldn’t find the answer. Can anyone confirm whether you can still purchase Disney gift cards in the shops on board the ships? Thanks!

Don't think they have a minimum but not sure. I have seen DCL gift cards at different times in different shops onboard...can't guarantee that a DCL theme gift card will be there every time.

MJ

We were on the wonder for first Alaska cruise. They didn’t have any on board anymore due to the incident last year by one of their workers. I thought they said they are doing away with them on the ship

we were on the wonder last month for the westcoast cruise. The shops no longer carry gift cards.

we were on the wonder last month for the westcoast cruise. The shops no longer carry gift cards.

I was on the Fantasy in late April and they were available at that time. I wonder if they are phasing them out all across the line.

I am really interested in knowing if they still offer them. I was planning on putting our onboard credit onto a gift card to use to pay for our deposit for booking a cruise onboard.

On our cruise, someone ( a teen goofing around, perhaps) got a bunch of Gift Cards from one of the shops (with no value on them) and put them on the doors of a bunch of cabins (including ours). At first we thought maybe we had been Pixie dusted, until we took it to the shop on board and were told it had no value on it. We saw them on a number of doors on our deck. We offered to give it back, but they told us we could keep it as a souvenir if we wanted.

They definitely still have Disney gift cards in general. The question is only if they still have them on the ships.

There wasn’t any on the wonder when we cruised the first Alaska cruise this season. We were told they didn’t have any on ship no more

I am really interested in knowing if they still offer them. I was planning on putting our onboard credit onto a gift card to use to pay for our deposit for booking a cruise onboard.

You can get one before hand from the Disney Store (in person or online) and reload it on the ship. I don't know if the ones sold in non-Disney retail stores can be reloaded.

I was thinking about trying this. Thanks for the confirmation!

I should say that I have not tried it, but I don't see why it would not work.

It stinks that they are punishing guests because an employee messed up. There are other solutions - keep them under lock and a manager has to get the card out when someone wants to but one or something rather than take them away all together.

Hi,

Even if they do not offer Disney gift cards on the ship you could still buy a Disney gift card before you get on the ship. Once you get on the ship you could still use the gift card to pay for your deposit.

There is a Disney Cruise-theme Disney gift card that you can buy online. Gift card url :https://www.shopdisney.com/gift-car...Cards&EFC=506526&Att=GiftCard&pdesignid=46432

It looks like the lowest amount you can put on the card when you buy the gift card online is $25. (I looked by clicking on the arrow selector drop-down menu under the amount for the gift card.

Hi,

Even if they do not offer Disney gift cards on the ship you could still buy a Disney gift card before you get on the ship. Once you get on the ship you could still use the gift card to pay for your deposit.

There is a Disney Cruise-theme Disney gift card that you can buy online. Gift card url :https://www.shopdisney.com/gift-car...Cards&EFC=506526&Att=GiftCard&pdesignid=46432

It looks like the lowest amount you can put on the card when you buy the gift card online is $25. (I looked by clicking on the arrow selector drop-down menu under the amount for the gift card.

We know we could get a gift card before the trip. The thing is we would like to use our almost $300 of onboard credit we are going to get and use it for the deposit for booking our next cruise onboard. Would be great to know if they have the gift cards or not on the ship before we board. If they don’t have them we could use our onboard credit to possibly ask for a Stateroom upgrade at port before we get on the ship.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter