Purchase Now or Wait

Part of getting the price down was selling back the current year of points at $22 per point.

Right now a Sept UY would be great since you’d get 2022’s points plus 2023’s will become active in a few weeks (could borrow 2024’s points then too). The great thing about the 2022 points would be basically no dues on them. So selling them back is truly bringing cost down $22pp, but… the papers to do that need to be done at least 4 days prior to the UY starting.

Oct UY gives another shot to do similar if waiting to see new incentives Sept 11th. Dues are prorated to however many months are left in the year. Some buyers were getting push back trying to buy late UYs. Do you know which you’d like?

$40k seems a tad high For 200pts. You’ll get a credit back toward cost of 10 pts “free” plus $3000 as the developer credit. You can get another $1k off with Welcome Home if you have a future trip booked, plus another $500 for referral as new member. Plus another $4400 if selling back current year points. There’s also Cast member and Military incentives if applicable, I don’t know the amounts. You could potentially get the purchase down under $35k.

Part of getting the price down was selling back the current year of points at $22 per point.

Right now a Sept UY would be great since you’d get 2022’s points plus 2023’s will become active in a few weeks (could borrow 2024’s points then too). The great thing about the 2022 points would be basically no dues on them. So selling them back is truly bringing cost down $22pp, but… the papers to do that need to be done at least 4 days prior to the UY starting.

Oct UY gives another shot to do similar if waiting to see new incentives Sept 11th. Dues are prorated to however many months are left in the year. Some buyers were getting push back trying to buy late UYs. Do you know which you’d like?

$40k seems a tad high For 200pts. You’ll get a credit back toward cost of 10 pts “free” plus $3000 as the developer credit. You can get another $1k off with Welcome Home if you have a future trip booked, plus another $500 for referral as new member. Plus another $4400 if selling back current year points. There’s also Cast member and Military incentives if applicable, I don’t know the amounts. You could potentially get the purchase down under $35k.
We are leaning towards December use year.

How does Welcome Home work? My understanding was that was just for current members. I am not currently a member. I do have a cash trip booked over Labor Day.

If I sell back CY points would it be 2022 or 2023?

Last edited:

This is the quote I’m looking at. I haven’t contacted a guide yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 34

We are leaning towards December use year.

How does Welcome Home work? My understanding was that was just for current members. I am not currently a member. I do have a cash trip booked over Labor Day.

If I sell back CY points would it be 2022 or 2023?
Welcome Home is a discount they give if you have a current trip booked. You'll need a reservation number. It's not just for current members. New members can take advantage as well.
If you do December Use Year you would sell back the 2022 points.

Be sure to check with all of your credit cards and ask if they will give you a special rate for a large purchase. Two of my cards gave me a year with zero interest, which saved me from feeling bad about carrying a little debt.

The attached document has what your pricing should be with the discounts available to you from your September reservation (welcome home credit) and using a current member’s dream it forward link (dream if forward credit)—it would $37,730 for 200 points. If you chose to sell back your 2022 use year points through the magical beginnings incentive, you would get a rebate of $4,400 that would come in a separate check after you closed. Closing costs would be an additional expense not included in the pricing sheet.

Attachments

• GrandFloridian_Prospect_Welcome_DreamItForward.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
This is the quote I’m looking at. I haven’t contacted a guide yet.
Sadly the DVC website doesn't show the accurate pricing with all the incentives available to you.

I agree with the posters suggesting the 90 day payment period, taking advantage of both the Welcome Home incentive and Dream it Forward referral, and opening a new credit card with 0% financing for 12+ months. The direct financing ruins the math for me. Pay what you can comfortably "cash" over the 90 days and float the rest on a new card. Discover, Chase, Amex, BoA, WF, etc all have 12 month+ 0% interest on a ton of credit cards.

When you speak with your guide he/she may not mention all of these incentives or provide the Dec UY easily based on numerous reports here on the DIS. Just go in kind and informed. Be adamant that Dec works for your travel patterns and even though it may need managerial approval that is what you need. Same with the 90 day payment period. Both can be done.

The $22 per point Magical Beginnings promo depends on how many points you need and what you value them at. You could bank forward and have a ton for the 2023 UY or take the lump sum of cash as a rebate. I would personally take the cash.

Last edited:
So weird I'm seeing this post, my husband and I spent a couple hours on the phone today with a DVC rep, we are getting ready to pull the trigger on 200 points also at VGF!! The current promotions/incentives go till Sept 11th, so I will have to make up my mind soon. I do wonder if a better incentive is coming down the road, it is such a gamble.

98% sure we are doing it BUT weighing the 5 year finance option vs 10 years, my husband says do the 10 year option but pay the amount monthly to pay it off in 5 years that way if for some reason we have a financial strain at some point we are not in a horrible position, thought???
Thats exactly what we are doing. We financed for 10yrs but we will be doubling our payments and adding to the principal and expect to pay it off in less than 5 yrs. We were gonna buy just 75 at VGF but these incentives came out and we jumped on and Said we will just get the 150 and finally have the blue card. We already own at BCV but that was resale we bought in 2017.

I met two on my most recent trip that I was impressed with but since I can't find one business card, here's someone I would buy from:
James Moats
Email: James.Moats@Disney.com
Office: (407) 827-2023

(funnily enough, he's not my assigned guide, but I would totally switch!)
NVM - found it! She'll have both FL and CA licenses for all resorts and is originally from Canada.

Jennifer Tabio
Email: jennifer.l.tabio@disney.com
Office: (407) 827-6189

As long as the month hasn't passed yet you can. That leaves you with either a September, October or December use year if you want 2022 points.
So, I asked my guide about a September UY so I can take advantage of Magical Beginnings and have fresh points come 2023. He said they couldn't do that because it's inside the banking window. Is he just playing hardball or is that really the case? If I push it, do you think it will get approved?

So, I asked my guide about a September UY so I can take advantage of Magical Beginnings and have fresh points come 2023. He said they couldn't do that because it's inside the banking window. Is he just playing hardball or is that really the case? If I push it, do you think it will get approved?
Make it the deal breaker and most likely they’ll cave

Welcome Home is a discount they give if you have a current trip booked. You'll need a reservation number. It's not just for current members. New members can take advantage as well.
If you do December Use Year you would sell back the 2022 points.
OP, there is also a "welcome home" booking that your guide can help facilitate. It does NOT have to be at your home resort if you are traveling in less than 7 months. We bought AKV in May of 2019 and our guide helped us book our "welcome home" stay at Beach Club Villas.

You must make your "welcome home" your FIRST reservation and member services MUST book it. If you book something yourself first, then you lose the "welcome home" benefit.

Make it the deal breaker and most likely they’ll cave
Alright well we shall see what happens. I asked him was there a special approval we could get to make it happen and he said nope to close to Sept. He also asked me why I would want September and that February was a perfect use year. I explained to him that the travel and banking dates work better for my family with a September UY. We shall see what he comes back with.

Alright well we shall see what happens. I asked him was there a special approval we could get to make it happen and he said nope to close to Sept. He also asked me why I would want September and that February was a perfect use year. I explained to him that the travel and banking dates work better for my family with a September UY. We shall see what he comes back with.
Honestly sounds like BS. They bank points for people within the banking deadline all the time on new contracts. If you stick to your guns they'll likely approve it. Also when are you trying to travel typically?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter