Purchasing direct ad on with a friend

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
A friend and I are considering purchasing a 75pt direct contract together so we can get the direct member benefits. (We both purchased resale after 4/2016) If my understanding is correct, this would give myself and my friend each the member card but what about our spouses? I assume it would only affect them if my spouse for instance goes on a trip without me or our friend and wanted to go to a member only event. In that case I would assume he isn't a card holder so cannot do so? Will I still be able to get the annual pass discount for my immediate family? Before we take the plunge I want to make sure I clarify anything I could be misunderstanding.

Ooh this is a great way to make later generations fight with each other. Like throwing a firecracker into the future! :stir:

This is a terrible idea. Look into setting up a trust or s corp to own the DVC, and setup yourselves as officers of the corp.

Appreciate the concern but we will take care of proper route to protect ourselves in the event of a death, divorce, etc. Was really just trying to weigh if there was a gap in benefits by going this route.

A friend and I are considering purchasing a 75pt direct contract together so we can get the direct member benefits. (We both purchased resale after 4/2016) If my understanding is correct, this would give myself and my friend each the member card but what about our spouses? I assume it would only affect them if my spouse for instance goes on a trip without me or our friend and wanted to go to a member only event. In that case I would assume he isn't a card holder so cannot do so? Will I still be able to get the annual pass discount for my immediate family? Before we take the plunge I want to make sure I clarify anything I could be misunderstanding.

From what I understand you can get up to 8 APs per membership. People in both households would qualify but the limit is still 8 total.

Your spouses would not be blue card carriers unless you include them on the deed.

The points on this contract will be completely separate from your existing memberships. Using the points could be trickier than you think (depending on how you plan to share them) mainly because you will be limited to 1 transfer per year. You can't transfer some to you and some to your friend. They also will not easily be combined with either of your points etc. I guess the easiest way to use them would be to rotate usage by year, but no matter what, things don't usually work out to be exactly 75 or whatever number you are trying to use.

From what I understand you can get up to 8 APs per membership. People in both households would qualify but the limit is still 8 total.

Your spouses would not be blue card carriers unless you include them on the deed.

The points on this contract will be completely separate from your existing memberships. Using the points could be trickier than you think (depending on how you plan to share them) mainly because you will be limited to 1 transfer per year. You can't transfer some to you and some to your friend. They also will not easily be combined with either of your points etc. I guess the easiest way to use them would be to rotate usage by year, but no matter what, things don't usually work out to be exactly 75 or whatever number you are trying to use.
Perfect info, thanks. Neither of us “need” the points and we already vacation together so we would most likely use them for joint trips or rent them. Worst case we might just alternate transferring them (more of a long term option when vacation habits change)

Before we take the plunge I want to make sure I clarify anything I could be misunderstanding.
To me it sounds like it could be a sticky situation, but an interesting way to go about getting benefits at a slightly lower cost. Seeing that this will be a completely separate contract from each of your own respective contracts why not list the significant others on the deed. This way they could have the blue cards and access to the benefits/discounts.

Is there any limit to the number of people who can be listed on a contract? Can you have 2 separate addresses for one contract? I know when you go to activate an AP you need a license and the address has to match the DVC contract address. Or is it just your license would need to match the blue DVC card? I don't know the answers to this so maybe someone else who knows can chime in.

To me it sounds like it could be a sticky situation, but an interesting way to go about getting benefits at a slightly lower cost. Seeing that this will be a completely separate contract from each of your own respective contracts why not list the significant others on the deed. This way they could have the blue cards and access to the benefits/discounts.

Is there any limit to the number of people who can be listed on a contract? Can you have 2 separate addresses for one contract? I know when you go to activate an AP you need a license and the address has to match the DVC contract address. Or is it just your license would need to match the blue DVC card? I don't know the answers to this so maybe someone else who knows can chime in.

I thought the limit on number of people was 3 (I could be wrong) but I also think we would rather keep spouses off (friend isn't currently married anyway) to keep it simple. Interesting point about the AP addresses matching your license though. I will have to check into that. I feel like relatives co-own contracts that might live in separate homes so I doubt this would be something new.

A friend and I are considering purchasing a 75pt direct contract together so we can get the direct member benefits.

A reminder that you can only purchase 75 points at OKW, SSR, VB, or HHI since this would be a new membership. The two of you owning points already (separately) does not allow you to add on since this is a new master contract.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Personally, I will respectfully disagree with your reasoning on purchasing a real estate interest purely for benefits.

A reminder that you can only purchase 75 points at OKW, SSR, VB, or HHI since this would be a new membership. The two of you owning points already (separately) does not allow you to add on since this is a new master contract.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Personally, I will respectfully disagree with your reasoning on purchasing a real estate interest purely for benefits.

Thanks, I didn’t know about the restriction of resorts.

Are there not other members who purchase a small direct add on to get the direct member benefits? Or is it that you disagree with doing this with a friend vs just doing it just ourselves?

Are there not other members who purchase a small direct add on to get the direct member benefits? Or is it that you disagree with doing this with a friend vs just doing it just ourselves?

Well, I wouldn't call 75 points a small add on. That's why they changed the policy-- to make it harder to attain. A lot of people new into the game will work the 75 direct points into their plan, meaning purchasing resale short of what they really want and then filling the gap with the direct add on. You said that you do not need the points, which is why I disagree with your reasoning of purchasing with a friend just for discounts.

Don't get me wrong; I do see the allure of wanting the blue card. I've been there and don't short change you there at all. However you purchasing with a friend I generally wouldn't recommend, especially because you are both already owners. Rules on transferring, having a single 75 contract managed by itself, figuring out who pay MFs, who gets to use the points, etc. all that stuff is more trouble than it's worth.

I think you should look into taking the time to save (if necessary) and purchase your own add on contract. You'll be happier in the end, get the property you want, and save yourself the headache of another party involved. Fortunately DVC has announced upcoming changes before they take effect. If a new policy is announced replacing 75 points direct for benefits, and you find yourself in a time bind, you can revisit purchasing with a friend.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't call 75 points a small add on. That's why they changed the policy-- to make it harder to attain. A lot of people new into the game will work the 75 direct points into their plan, meaning purchasing resale short of what they really want and then filling the gap with the direct add on. You said that you do not need the points, which is why I disagree with your reasoning of purchasing with a friend just for discounts.

Don't get me wrong; I do see the allure of wanting the blue card. I've been there and don't short change you there at all. However you purchasing with a friend I generally wouldn't recommend, especially because you are both already owners. Rules on transferring, having a single 75 contract managed by itself, figuring out who pay MFs, who gets to use the points, etc. all that stuff is more trouble than it's worth.

I think you should look into taking the time to save (if necessary) and purchase your own add on contract. You'll be happier in the end, get the property you want, and save yourself the headache of another party involved. Fortunately DVC has announced upcoming changes before they take effect. If a new policy is announced replacing 75 points direct for benefits, and you find yourself in a time bind, you can revisit purchasing with a friend.

Good points, thank you!

You can have 4 people on the deed, and they can be at different addresses. We added my parents onto my deed so that they could vacation without us and still get the benefits (AKA I want them to take my children so my husband and I can have time alone:love2:).

Thanks, I didn’t know about the restriction of resorts.

I don't know that they are closely enforcing the minimums FYI. I bought in late 2017 and despite higher posted minimum purchases, they would have sold me 50 as a brand new member everywhere except Copper Creek. CCV they would have let me have for 75. I was a complete non-owner.

I wouldn't do this. Just sounds like a great way to ruin a friendship.
In general not worth buying that many points to try and get discounts which may or may not be there long term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter