Purchasing DVC this fall

SalmonFam

Earning My Ears
Hi!! We’ve been saving and looking forward to purchasing our first DVC contract this fall. I know the current deals go only until Sept - but we were hoping to purchase in October. We’re a family of seven (and we’re just placed with a newborn via adoption!) and we are looking at buying direct at Riviera 410 points so we can get a two bedroom during our kids spring break every year.

Here’s my question - do you think the deals will be better or worse in October with DVC direct sales not being great this last quarter? We’re wondering if we should go ahead and pull the trigger now or if waiting would be ok?

Also - any tips for a new purchaser?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm a new member myself, but I believe what you should do is take advantage of the built in cancellation policy that comes with every direct purchase. Essentially you are given a few days ( would definitely encourage you to get the exact time frame) to back out of the purchase without any hassle. So you should purchase a day or 2 before the end of the current promotion and then cancel if the new deals are better. Then repurchase with the new incentives.

The only caveat to that is you are purchasing a month earlier, which might not fit into your families financial capabilities.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new addition!!!

I believe you have 10 day to back out (and I would let your guide know too.) If you have the extra money for closing costs, I would also break up your points. Larger contracts are harder to sell if you ever have to sell down the road. Congrats on little one! They are lucky to have you.

As stated above, you have 10 days from the day of signing to back out of the contract if you wish. The promotions end on the 11th, so personally I would purchase on the 7th or 8th and then once the new incentives come out determine which ones are better and cancel/keep the original contract. I'd recommend at minimum breaking up those 410 points into a 210 and a 200 point contract at least. Just remember that the point charts change annually and usually they're about the same but if you want to guarantee that you will be able to afford Spring Break every year consistently I'd consider going up to 450.

Last edited:

I'm a new member myself, but I believe what you should do is take advantage of the built in cancellation policy that comes with every direct purchase. Essentially you are given a few days ( would definitely encourage you to get the exact time frame) to back out of the purchase without any hassle. So you should purchase a day or 2 before the end of the current promotion and then cancel if the new deals are better. Then repurchase with the new incentives.

The only caveat to that is you are purchasing a month earlier, which might not fit into your families financial capabilities.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new addition!!!
Congrats on being a new member!! And thank you for the advice! That’s so helpful!

I believe you have 10 day to back out (and I would let your guide know too.) If you have the extra money for closing costs, I would also break up your points. Larger contracts are harder to sell if you ever have to sell down the road. Congrats on little one! They are lucky to have you.
This is HUGE news - I didn’t realize this until y’all said something! I’m asking my agent right now so they can know.

As stated above, you have 10 days from the day of signing to back out of the contract if you wish. The promotions end on the 11th, so personally I would purchase on the 7th or 8th and then once the new incentives come out determine which ones are better and cancel/keep the original contract. I'd recommend at minimum breaking up those 410 points into a 210 and a 200 point contract at least. Just remember that the point charts change annually and usually they're about the same but if you want to guarantee that you will be able to afford Spring Break every year consistently I'd consider going up to 450.
That’s really helpful about the points. Thank you!!! I just showed this to my husband and I think we’ll purchase one contract now and will wait and do a second one in a few months. So thank you and to the others who recommended smaller contracts. Super helpful!

This is HUGE news - I didn’t realize this until y’all said something! I’m asking my agent right now so they can know.
They don't want people to know that because they just want to lock people in for their commission or else it means possible extra work re-writing the contract 😂

That’s really helpful about the points. Thank you!!! I just showed this to my husband and I think we’ll purchase one contract now and will wait and do a second one in a few months. So thank you and to the others who recommended smaller contracts. Super helpful!
The more points you purchase the bigger the discount per point. This counts when you split the contract, but will not count if you purchase one now and then another one later. There is also a Welcome Home discount you may qualify for if you have an upcoming trip. Plus right now Disney is offering Magical Beginnings, which is $22 per point if you sell back your UY's points. We just purchased a VGF Oct UY contract and they took back the 2022 UY points which will we receive the $22/point for, we will still be getting the 2023 UY points on Oct 1.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/savings

I do think there is a chance you may see the incentives at RIV be a bit better after the 11th. I’d get into the deal right before hand and then modify it after. The other piece is that if you have the Disney Visa, you do get 6 months with 0% interest so that can help spread out some to allow you to buy before October to get the best deal, but end up paying for it when you were originally planning to buy.

If you can, I'd do 3x150. You'll have three direct contracts that can be passed down to some of the kids with the direct perks, and if you ever want to sell/downsize, that's not a bad size to offload. I believe if you buy before 9/10 or 9/11 you have the 10 days to change your mind if the new fall incentives are better after that. Also, I have heard if you put the purchase on the Disney Chase CC, you can break the payments up interest free for up to six months, but doublecheck that.

Congrats! You'll love the Riviera 2-bedroom if you decide on that as a home resort, and GF is beautiful, too.

Have you considered buying resale at all?

There are some Riviera December use year resale contracts out there priced at $125-$130 and some have been sitting there for months, so you may be able to get them below $120, depending on the seller's motivation. If you buy Riviera resale, you can only use those points at Riviera but if that's where you want to go each year, then it less of an issue and you can save more than $50/point going that route. The upfront cost savings on 450 points can be substantial... (over $20K)

If you like the idea of the DVC blue card benefits, you can buy just 150 points direct (which would be unrestricted) and add the rest via resale. Just make sure they are all the same use year, to make things easier.

I'm one of those who really dislikes the idea of paying direct knowing I lose 30%-40% of what I paid after 10 days (relative to resale prices), even if it's just on paper. I also think that, as more original owners sell Riviera in the coming years, resale prices have substantial further downside. It's not the resort - we've stayed there and loved it - but rather the new resale restrictions. On the resale market, Riviera is a less functional product by design. Resale buyers currently have plenty of other options to buy at resorts that don't have these restrictions and that makes Riviera a less desirable option on the resale market. Of course, that also impacts resale prices. Those resale restrictions may become the norm with new resorts, but resale buyers will have other options for the next 40 years...

But, as I mentioned, putting restrictions aside the resort itself is wonderful. After visiting, we've even discussed buying a smallish contract to be able to go there in the Fall without worrying about availability at 7-months out. If/when the right opportunity comes along on the resale market, we may go for it.

we are looking at buying direct at Riviera 410 points so we can get a two bedroom during our kids spring break every year.
BTW this is an extremely specific number of points; charts change over time and can get better or worse. I’d hate for you to not have enough points because they slid 17 extra points into your week in some future year. I’d suggest overbuying slightly.

As others have mentioned, split up those points at least in half, but into 3 if possible.

I strongly agree with a pre post. Absolutely buy now, and only the 150 points to get best price & incentives. Then add on additional points via resale. Riviera doesn’thold its value like other resorts, and buying that many points could easily save you over $20k resale vs direct.

Definitely wouldn’t wait until October, get a contract started soon then wait to see what incentives come out in Oct. Simply put, the time to buy is now!

The more points you purchase the bigger the discount per point. This counts when you split the contract, but will not count if you purchase one now and then another one later. There is also a Welcome Home discount you may qualify for if you have an upcoming trip. Plus right now Disney is offering Magical Beginnings, which is $22 per point if you sell back your UY's points. We just purchased a VGF Oct UY contract and they took back the 2022 UY points which will we receive the $22/point for, we will still be getting the 2023 UY points on Oct 1.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/savings
This used to be the case but the latest VGF incentives (and possibly RIV) don't work out that way. Two separate 200 point VGF contracts works out to be less than splitting one 400 point contract. The new incentives are flat for multiple point totals vs the past where they increased at much smaller intervals. This creates sweet spots in the contract sizes. For VGF, that's at 150-300 and 500-550 points.

Guides are used to the old way so you really need to run the numbers yourself on your contract sizes to see what's the better deal. We had to explain multiple times that we weren't splitting a single contract to get the "better" higher point incentives.

Hi!! We’ve been saving and looking forward to purchasing our first DVC contract this fall. I know the current deals go only until Sept - but we were hoping to purchase in October. We’re a family of seven (and we’re just placed with a newborn via adoption!) and we are looking at buying direct at Riviera 410 points so we can get a two bedroom during our kids spring break every year.

Here’s my question - do you think the deals will be better or worse in October with DVC direct sales not being great this last quarter? We’re wondering if we should go ahead and pull the trigger now or if waiting would be ok?

Also - any tips for a new purchaser?

Thanks in advance!!!
Have you considered buying some of the points direct and some resale? You can save a huge amount of money if done that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter