Purchasing DVC what are the chances of getting a room with 1 to 2 weeks notice

defrogger

Earning My Ears
Hello, We just purchased DVC on resale last week:) Is it hard to get a room with just 1 to 2 weeks notice, or even 2 days notice for a last minute trip? Would not be picky about resort

I ask because our closing happens on July 18, was told it could happen faster. Once closed it goes to Disney and they can take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to get me my membership # and points.
So my sister just booked a trip for August 6th for a weeks stay and asked us to join them and we are thinking of going. We would need to book the Park tickets soon due to the new Park reservation system.

But if we go i would probably only have a weeks notice to book with DVC. My backup plan would just to get a last minute room most likely outside of disney, but it would just hurt knowing my points are coming right when were going:)

Would prefer a studio but i know they go first, but one bedrooms work as well. Is this realistic?
Thanks

I would say it's not realistic. Not only will you need luck on your side to even have your points by 8/6 (it's possible, but there is certainly no guarantee. My last resale took WAY over 4 weeks from closing to points loaded), but most rooms have been booked solid. Right now, SSR has availability that week. But if you look at SSR over the next two months (the rest of May and June), it's completely booked up already.

I'd like to say it will depend on what room you want (maybe better luck with 1BRs), but there is so little availability this year already...

In normal years, it is not impossible, depending upon season....but it is always extremely difficult to book last minute. Until the COVID point surplus starts loosening up, though I think it will next to impossible.

Not terribly realistic, especially not this year.

DVC is designed to work at 100% occupancy. Its really just a matter of how long it takes to get to 100% occupancy - during some seasons for some room types, its right at the eleven month window. For other rooms, it will take longer - one bedrooms do tend to book last. But because points are use em or lose em, and because Disney sends any breakage inventory (rooms not booked 60 days out) over to CRO to use), to snag a room on short notice pretty much requires someone to cancel or Disney not using the breakage inventory. Which happens, but there are usually more people hoping to snag something than cancellations.

In a normal year and depending on the time of year (late August comes to mind), there sometimes are Studios available at SSR.

This year is like no other.

I've had success if you're not picky on actual dates. The more flexible you are the better, but the demand is definitely up at the moment. The waitlist is an option too if you're willing to not make plans in hope someone cancels.

I'd say not impossible to book a room since you're open to any resort and also 1BR instead of studio but also far from guaranteed. The more troublesome spot will be having your points loaded in time. So I'd suggest plan for offsite and be happily surprised if you get to cancel that because you were able to book with your DVC points

FYI depending on your financial situation, nothing prevents you from buying tickets and making your park reservation now. If you end up not going, you just upgrade your tickets to whatever the dates of your next trip are and they stay valid. You can do this yourself in the app if you do it prior to the August dates, if you wait until after you will need to call ticketing. Worst case scenario would be that you end up wasting a few bucks paying for an August ticket but then moving them to a slower/cheaper time. That and you have finances tied up in the tickets.

In regards to booking on short notice, it's possible but I wouldn't say likely.

I would go with your backup plan now, to try to find a room outside of Disney, and make a reservation. Buy your tickets and make your park reservations now as well. Hotels usually have a cancellation policy of 24-hours before arrival. After that, cancellation penalties are incurred. If the points load in time and if you can find a DVC resort room, it would be a pleasant surprise.

For august, the calendar still looks pretty good for SSR/OKW, and 1 bedrooms at several other resorts too. I just booked a trip a couple of days ago and was surprised how much there was to choose from in August (basically any other month this year is full though). I could also see some more people cancelling in July at 31 days when they realize there will still be masks/no fireworks etc. in August. So if you really aren't picky, I'm more optimistic than others--it's hot, point charts are high, and too early for a soft open for the fall 50th anniversary celebration, so that all might make it the sweet spot this year for DVC bookings.

Thanks for all the input, I think ill play it safe and get a room outside of disney that has a cancelation policy that lets me cancel wtihin the last week or better. If i get lucky and get the points early enough and can get a room great

You'll have more luck if you're willing to switch resorts at some point too so definitely look into that option if it works for you.

Very recently our DS asked to stay a second night. He had a one night stay in SSR. I looked everywhere for even a two bedroom for the night. He wound up on the pull out in our studio!

Hello, We just purchased DVC on resale last week:) Is it hard to get a room with just 1 to 2 weeks notice, or even 2 days notice for a last minute trip? Would not be picky about resort

I ask because our closing happens on July 18, was told it could happen faster. Once closed it goes to Disney and they can take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to get me my membership # and points.
So my sister just booked a trip for August 6th for a weeks stay and asked us to join them and we are thinking of going. We would need to book the Park tickets soon due to the new Park reservation system.

But if we go i would probably only have a weeks notice to book with DVC. My backup plan would just to get a last minute room most likely outside of disney, but it would just hurt knowing my points are coming right when were going:)

Would prefer a studio but i know they go first, but one bedrooms work as well. Is this realistic?
Thanks

I hope it works out for you - it would not have for us.

We closed on August 17th, 2020...

Got our one time activation e-mail from Disney on September 14, 2020...

Had our points for use on September 21, 2020.

Apparently if this is your first DVC contract (as was ours), the process takes a good bit longer than if you're an existing DVC member adding an additional contract.

Good luck.

P.S. I'll add that for our direct contract thru Disney (our 2nd contract), we got our points in like 10 minutes. But man you pay thru the nose for that speed!

Last edited:
I hope it works out for you - it would not have for us.

We closed on August 17th, 2020...

Got our one time activation e-mail from Disney on September 14, 2020...

Had our points for use on September 21, 2020.

Apparently if this is your first DVC contract (as was ours), the process takes a good bit longer than if you're an existing DVC member adding an additional contract.

Good luck.

P.S. I'll add that for our direct contract thru Disney (our 2nd contract), we got our points in like 10 minutes. But man you pay thru the nose for that speed!

I am not sure that resale contracts load any faster for current owners via new. I bought last summer and it was 5 weeks to see it show up..that was about the same timeline as most buyers.

But it is wonderful to have points in your account so quickly with a direct purchase.

Log into the DVC website. Check the Last Minute Getaways under the Plan a Vacation tab. If you're not too picky about exact dates, resort or type of room, you may find something

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter