Purchasing Resale Post-1/19

katandmouse

Mouseketeer
Hi, My family is in the process of purchasing BCV resale, and I’m trying to make sure I understand exactly what the new resale restrictions mean for someone like us.

We are a family of 5 (our kids range from 5 years to 8 months old), intending to bank/borrow our points to travel to WDW every 2 or 3 years, and stay in a 2br or 1br at BCV. It would be fun to try a split stay at BLT (or other MK resort) or AKV once if we can. Ideally I’d also like to go to VGC once, and maybe an Aulani trip when the kids graduate.

Does this plan sound doable? Based on the new resale restrictions, is this something we could count on with our resale points? I guess what I’m wondering is, since DVC removed our ability to trade into Riviera, in the future could they also remove our ability to trade into the other, older resorts? Or change the terms of 7-month bookings?

Thanks for any insight!

Hi, My family is in the process of purchasing BCV resale, and I’m trying to make sure I understand exactly what the new resale restrictions mean for someone like us.

We are a family of 5 (our kids range from 5 years to 8 months old), intending to bank/borrow our points to travel to WDW every 2 or 3 years, and stay in a 2br or 1br at BCV. It would be fun to try a split stay at BLT (or other MK resort) or AKV once if we can. Ideally I’d also like to go to VGC once, and maybe an Aulani trip when the kids graduate.

Does this plan sound doable? Based on the new resale restrictions, is this something we could count on with our resale points? I guess what I’m wondering is, since DVC removed our ability to trade into Riviera, in the future could they also remove our ability to trade into the other, older resorts? Or change the terms of 7-month bookings?

Thanks for any insight!

I think any additional restrictions on trading into other L14 resorts are unlikely, but no one knows what else the current management might try down the road whether it's "legal" or not. However, the bigger risk for you might be manipulation of the point chart. Take a look at the thread dedicated to the now rolled back 2020 point chart if you haven't already. The current management tried to increase the points required for studios and 1-bedrooms without a corresponding decrease somewhere else under the disguise of lock-off premium. This is a dangerous slippery slope, IMHO, as if you had bought enough points to stay for a week now, that may no longer be the case down the road. I am sure others would chime about their concerns.

LAX

I think any additional restrictions on trading into other L14 resorts are unlikely, but no one knows what else the current management might try down the road whether it's "legal" or not. However, the bigger risk for you might be manipulation of the point chart. Take a look at the thread dedicated to the now rolled back 2020 point chart if you haven't already. The current management tried to increase the points required for studios and 1-bedrooms without a corresponding decrease somewhere else under the disguise of lock-off premium. This is a dangerous slippery slope, IMHO, as if you had bought enough points to stay for a week now, that may no longer be the case down the road. I am sure others would chime about their concerns.

LAX

Thanks, I’ll look into that thread next.

Thanks for any insight!

To answer your original question, yes. This is doable with a post Jan 19 resale. The points charts MAY change and the amount of days you can reserve may not be the same, but you will be able to trade into BLT, AKL, and AUL with your resale BCV. If you want to play with points for different scenarios, I like the DVCCalculator app to dream/plan future trips. Because of that, I have discovered that AUL will suck up my points pretty quickly. The different views (something that BCV doesn’t have that many other DVCs have - like standard, garden, lake, Savannah, etc) also make a huge difference and some of the cheapest view categories are difficult to reserve at 7 months, leaving the more expensive ones the only availability. This can also change how many days you can reserve (for example, AKL value is rarely available, but Savannah often is and you pay a premium for the amazing view of animals... which we have done and think is totally worth it).

Not sure if this was what you were looking for, but it is food for thought.

Typically if Disney makes any changes they grandfather current members in. So if in 2 years they decide that resale owners can only book at home resort at 10 months you would most likely be grandfathered in and not have that effect you.

As of now the only resort you won't be able to trade into is Riviera and in a couple of years, Reflections.

Typically if Disney makes any changes they grandfather current members in. So if in 2 years they decide that resale owners can only book at home resort at 10 months you would most likely be grandfathered in and not have that effect you.

As of now the only resort you won't be able to trade into is Riviera and in a couple of years, Reflections.
That is not a decision they can legally make, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks for your responses. It’s helpful for me to understand what exactly we are/are not buying. I know the only perks we will have access to are TOTW and pool hopping, and those can change at any time. I wasn’t sure if trading into the older resorts is considered more a perk/apt to change or if it’s guaranteed/written into a BCV/older resort contract, even if it’s resale.

So it sounds like my deed is for BCV home resort booking and the option to trade into the original 14 resorts as long as there’s availability and I have enough points (which point requirements can/will change). The resale restriction of not being able to book into a different resort is really only written into Riviera’s contract (and I assume Reflections/future resorts). Am I understanding this correctly?

And thanks for the Calculator tip! That is super helpful for planning how many points we may need.
No problem! The calculator app has been a fun little tool to use to plan possible trips and may have been instrumental in my justification to buy a small BCV resale contract recently. ;) Just giving you fair warning. I believe your assumptions are correct; your post Jan 19 resale will get you traded into all O14 resort, but none going forward (unless Disney changes their minds...).

The resale restriction of not being able to book into a different resort is really only written into Riviera’s contract (and I assume Reflections/future resorts). Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes. While DVC has shown some disdain for legality, it is really hard to change certain elements that tie directly to the real estate interest on the O14 resorts. How they declared and had Riviera join BVT (trading entity) is key to how the new restrictions work, and make it very hard to retroactively change other resales.

Yes. While DVC has shown some disdain for legality, it is really hard to change certain elements that tie directly to the real estate interest on the O14 resorts. How they declared and had Riviera join BVT (trading entity) is key to how the new restrictions work, and make it very hard to retroactively change other resales.

Good to know, thanks!

No problem! The calculator app has been a fun little tool to use to plan possible trips and may have been instrumental in my justification to buy a small BCV resale contract recently. ;) Just giving you fair warning. I believe your assumptions are correct; your post Jan 19 resale will get you traded into all O14 resort, but none going forward (unless Disney changes their minds...).

Hey, congrats on your BCV add-on! :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter