Putting one of our kids on our friends' room ressie-- problematic?

ashleypmo

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide between suite & connecting rooms at AoA for April! :) We have 7 people (me & hubs + 5 kids), and we're traveling with friends who will have 5 people in a family suite. We're considering booking a suite with 6 of us on it, and putting one of our kiddos on our friends' room, since they can have one more person in their room. Can you think of any possible unforeseen complications with that?

For instance, if they opt to do the DDP, they'll have to add our child, so we would have to pay them for that and then keep up with having 1 DDP while the rest us are eating OOP.

Anything else? I guess their RFID bracelet would be keyed to the other family's room, so it would have to be a child that isn't old enough to go in & out of the room by themselves.

Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that could be a problem? :confused3

ashleypmo said:
Trying to decide between suite & connecting rooms at AoA for April! :) We have 7 people (me & hubs + 5 kids), and we're traveling with friends who will have 5 people in a family suite. We're considering booking a suite with 6 of us on it, and putting one of our kiddos on our friends' room, since they can have one more person in their room. Can you think of any possible unforeseen complications with that?

For instance, if they opt to do the DDP, they'll have to add our child, so we would have to pay them for that and then keep up with having 1 DDP while the rest us are eating OOP.

Anything else? I guess their RFID bracelet would be keyed to the other family's room, so it would have to be a child that isn't old enough to go in & out of the room by themselves.

I can't think of anything else. We did this with our family back in 2007. We went w another family that had 3. We had 5. One stayed in their room. Well. They were supposed to but she got to missing momma and ended up in our room with us half the time on an air mattress. No one ever said a word about it.

They should not add the child until check-in. They make the reservation for five and then at check-in change it to six. This will keep the child off their dining plan.

We did the same on our last trip (we have 4 kids and our friends have 2) and I wanted all my kids to have access to our room since they are older - so they gave one of our daughters two cards. A room only card, which gave her access to our room - and the card on our friends room, which gave her access to the park and could be valid for room charging. We were not on the DDP. I was concerned but Disney is used to this and they were very accommodating. :)

They should not add the child until check-in. They make the reservation for five and then at check-in change it to six. This will keep the child off their dining plan.

I thought, if you do the dining plan, everyone in the room needs to be on the same plan.

If you are booking "room only" and not a "package" I don't think it matters if you don't tell them there are 7 of you. Buy the one child's tickets separately.

It will matter for EMH entry. And now that everything is coded on the RFID bracelets, I don't want any unforeseen complications.

My concern would be if something happens with your friend and they can't go, this would be a nightmare because you'd have to completely change your reservation. I was reading a post here on the DIS the other day about someone who had injured their knee and was now considering whether they could still go.

If something unexpected happens with your friend and they have to cancel or reschedule for unforeseen reasons, you're stuck with one of your kids on their reservation. It's unlikely, but possible and do you really want to find out the week before you go that you can't take your other child or you have to change to a more expensive option?

Are you flying in? If so, will you arrive at the same time? Magical Express could be an issue if you arrive at different times.

We did this two years ago, so we could be in the mansions at POR and not the AB section.

We had five adults (me in one room, the four adults in the other). We had an infant and a child.

The child went on my reservation and since I had paid for the entire room as a single, we only had to pay for her ticket (we had free dining for both rooms).

We did all arrive at the same time on ME, so we did all get our KTTW cards at once. If the other family arrives later, it might take some time to get her card until they check-in.

It was very easy to keep track of her dining credits on my KTTW card, but it was just the two of us, not a mulitiple sized family. It might be a bit difficult for you to keep track through them, of her dining credits, especially snacks.

Also, I think it was mentioned earlier, but if that family has to back out for some reason, you are basically going to have to re-book.

We did this a couple of years ago at Animal Kingdom. My oldest dd stayed in my parents' room. She actually "Stayed" in their room so we didn't have an issue with the room keys. The meal plan wasn't a problem either since we did all of our meals together. She ended up on my parents' bill but that is where her credits were. We owed them for her portion of the tip (but they wouldn't take it). I have no idea if over the course of the week the snacks and quick services worked out right but we had plenty to eat so it was a non-issue for us. Again, she was with my parents which probably made it a bit easier than if it had been friends with their own family.

We did this with my sisters child. No problems. She did fly down with her dad and was able to have a different ME than the rest of my family.

We have done that when traveling with family and never had a problem. We're a family of 5, my mom travels solo or with my brother, so if we're staying at a value resort one of our kids goes on her reservation.

Different ME times for guests on the same reservation aren't a problem either; I know several families who have arrived at different times because one parent couldn't get away from work or because one child had a can't-miss event going on so part of the group arrived later than the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter