Q for airalo users

2Lunds

DIS Veteran
Have you been able to tether another phone by using the airalo esim as a hotspot? The language in their FAQ seems inconclusive to me.

Yes you can! I have had to use this page as a guide to make a change before though. https://www.airalo.com/help/using-managing-esims/can-i-use-tethering-personal-hotspot
Thanks for that! We were not able to get the hotspot to work because I didn't realize we needed to change this info in the hotspot field as well. I just thought probably the US provider we were linked to didn't allow tethering (since that was mentioned in Airalo's info).

We'll know next time. On the the whole, it was a bit tricky to use the first time, but the savings made it worthwhile to figure it out.

Thanks for that! We were not able to get the hotspot to work because I didn't realize we needed to change this info in the hotspot field as well. I just thought probably the US provider we were linked to didn't allow tethering (since that was mentioned in Airalo's info).

We'll know next time. On the the whole, it was a bit tricky to use the first time, but the savings made it worthwhile to figure it out.
Agreed, it wasn't the most intuitive to figure out for me either, not being super techie. I was also frustrated that I ran out of data but couldn't figure out I'd done so because the Airalo app only worked when you have data (or wifi)... a bit ridiculous there wasn't any sort of warning or anything re: data was left.

Agreed, it wasn't the most intuitive to figure out for me either, not being super techie. I was also frustrated that I ran out of data but couldn't figure out I'd done so because the Airalo app only worked when you have data (or wifi)... a bit ridiculous there wasn't any sort of warning or anything re: data was left.
I set the data warning limit on my phone to 2.8 (bought a 3G card).

Another question, not to hijack the thread, but do you buy the airalo card before you leave Canada? or do you have to do it in your travel location. I'm going to London and Paris in the fall. Also not super techie, and directionally challenged so will need maps to get me around.

Another question, not to hijack the thread, but do you buy the airalo card before you leave Canada? or do you have to do it in your travel location. I'm going to London and Paris in the fall. Also not super techie, and directionally challenged so will need maps to get me around.
Buy the card first. Go through all the install/activation steps on the app whole you're still in Canada and on your own local data/wifi.

We made the mistake of thinking we had to finalize the installation once we crossed the border, and ended up having to wait until we were at the hotel on their wifi to complete.

Luckily our car has on-board GPS, otherwise we'd have been screwed 😆

Agreed with this. Activating the esim doesn't actually start the data, so you could have a US plan, UK plan and Mexico plan all set up and ready to go, but the data doesn't start until you're in that country.

Agreed with this. Activating the esim doesn't actually start the data, so you could have a US plan, UK plan and Mexico plan all set up and ready to go, but the data doesn't start until you're in that country.
And to add to this - you have to manually switch between sims, so it won't automatically change.

Just be careful if you buy a global plan because that WILL start working when you’re in Canada. Regional plans only work in those regions of course.

And to add to this - you have to manually switch between sims, so it won't automatically change.
How do you do that? I have an android phone.

ETA: I think i found it. Sim Manager. So I have Sim 1 and a second slot that says no sim. My Airalo card should show up there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter