• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quality of Service while on DDP?

Aristomommy

<font color=deeppink>We were in the “wild animals”
Last fall we went to Boma's during the free DDP period. Our server asked right off the bat if we were on the dining plan. We were not. A family next to us was on the plan. It seemed to me that our table got better service since our server didn't have an automatic 18% tip coming. This may have been just a random observation, but I would like to hear if anyone else had similar experience? This time we will have the free dining plan and I don't want to feel like a second class citizen. Any thoughts?

We paid for the dining plan last Dec. and had great service everywhere we went. I am a stickler for customer service at a restaurant and wouldn't have accepted a lower standard of care because I had prepaid for our food. So if I would have notice a difference I would have said something. Everyone was wonderful and all the servers helped us out to maximize the usage of our plan. Though, I am sure that was a purely selfish way to get a bigger tip. This year I am getting the DDP free so I will see if there is a difference.

I paid for the dining plan last April and will be paying for again during our 4th of July trip. :rolleyes:

I never had a problem with the CMs. They knew from the start that we were on the plan. Each person was friendly and helpful.

The only down point was the young lady that got angry because we were too full to order dessert. :sad2: I know she was thinking about the tip she'd get; who could blame her. :confused3

I'm looking forward to using the dining plan again. :cheer2:

When we were there in November, we didn't have the dining plan because the person who booked our trip refused it without ever asking us. :confused3 I actually felt like those on the dining plan had much BETTER service than those paying OOP.

My guess is that the server knew they'd be getting 18% of the larger total check for DDP tables with appetizer, entree & dessert for all vs. what they'd get from a table paying OOP which is more likely to skip or share courses like appetizer & desert. I recall feeling pretty ticked that the people who were paying less for their meal (via the dining plan) not only got more food but better service.

We went without the ddp last August and got great service everywhere. We usually leave at least 18-20 percent at wDW restaurants anyways, because we've always found the service to be outstanding. I'm looking forward to not having to tip on the DDP in August - that will save us a TONNE. :) Though I would leave a few bucks extra for outstanding service.

Beth :)

We've gone to WDW with and without the DP and I didn't notice any difference in the service. We've always had good service and we've had some truly excellent service both on and off the plan. I doubt the DP has as much to do with it as individual servers do......

We were on the Dining Plan (paid) in October and we had excellent service everywhere we ate. I have seen threads here on the DIS of folks who feel they have not had good service, but I think that it is a combination of excessive expectations - a server having a bad night.
We consistently tipped in excess of the plan, as our service was exceptional.
HTH

We eat using the DDE discount. And usually someone next to us is using the DDP. I have not noticed any different service.
Sometimes when I mention I have the DDE, the server assumes I mean the DDP and starts suggesting what to order.
A guest could be eating less than guests on the DDP. (DH and I do) And regular guest could leave less than an 18% tip.
I say the waiter CM is better off with DDP guests than not is many cases. Now whether you get a server who knows they are getting a DDP 18% tip no matter what and provide less service is possible. But I have never seen this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter