Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

@Kirby , I totally understand your emotions. It is so hard with a parent in a facility. We just went through that. Is she on the first floor? Can you visit at the window? And the facility where MIL was is offering in person visits in a special room with a plexiglass barrier set up. Hopefully your mom's facility will be able to do something like that soon as well.

DD goes back to work next Tuesday. She will mostly be able to work from home but will have to go in Tuesday and occasionally after. She took Carter to daycare today for the first time for about 6 hours so he, and she, would get used to it. Same place where his sister is. She said drop off went well. I am sure she will be glad to get back to him.

Good morning all. It was a balmy 46 degrees here this morning, going to be 75 later on. Just heard from his brother and a friend of mine also, both of whom live in Pensacola. They have had more than 20" of rain over the last hours, and there is still too much rain and too much storm surge for them to check for damage to their yards. Their houses are safe , as are they, Thank God! I just couldn't live where hurricanes strike that often, and that badly. They both thought it was just going to be a tropical storm, not a Category 2 hurricane :( Grateful that they and their families are okay. My friends Mom was discharged from the hospital just yesterday, after recovering (at age 91) from Covid. My friends husband however, is still in there after 2 weeks. He was on 80 liters of oxygen and had bad pneumonia, they didn't know if he was going to make it at first, but he is now on the mend and should be discharged next week. She said she's learned not to take it for granted that they will always be there, because you never know what can happen at any minute. So please dear DIS family, take a moment today to reflect on the people you care about in your lives, and be thankful that they are all still with us!

Have a great day..off to the local discount grocery store to get some more goodies (and maybe another container of that crab meat!) And the sun just came out, it's been so foggy out you couldn't see across the street, lol!

Morning all! No rain so far today; thoughts are with all those in the path of Sally. She looked awful scary from the videos I saw on Twitter and on the Weather channel.

Ran to the store this morning, for just a few basics (bread, buns, milk, creamer, potatoes, carrots, some grapes and some cheese). Stopped at Chik Fil A to get lunch; I was today years old when I found out you can get the spicy fried chicken on a Southwest chicken salad (instead of the grilled)! Made me so happy because I lurv that spicy chicken and I lurv the salad...put 'em together and I'm in heaven! :lovestruc:banana::jumping1::woohoo:

DH got his quarterly 'wow' (this year, they went to only $ for the 'wow' bonuses they get quarterly; used to be it could be anything from stuff from the company...like shirts or mugs...to gift cards, tickets to sporting events, or $); and he got a small promotion/raise, so they gave him the difference for what they put into the HSA (from his old level to the new one is about $250 difference); since we've paid OOP for his meds for about that amount, due to problems with getting new cards for the HSA, his HR lady said we could just keep the money and use it for whatever, since I have records showing I paid OOP for his meds for that month. We didn't put in for reimbursement from the HSA for the OOP costs, so it should all wash in the end. Soooo.......

I went ahead and got DD#2's family Christmas gifts taken care of, as they are doing some Christmas at the end of October and some in end-November, then the rest on Christmas. (End of October so any big gifts can be packed away, as the shippers are coming then to get their stuff, for the move to Okinawa; Nov for things that are able to be taken on the plane with them to Oki at the beginning of Dec, and then Christmas, which will be only the big red guy gifts/stocking and a few from them that she is carrying over in a suitcase...just in case they don't have a place and their stuff by then.)

Everything will be delivered by Friday (thanks Amazon) except one thing for DD, and that is expected to ship by Oct 6th. Hopefully it does, since it's the big thing for her! (Got her the first 4 illustrated editons of Harry Potter; she's been wanting them since they started releasing them; #4 is coming Friday, but the other three aren't supposed to ship until Oct 6th.) She already got the handmade Porg with BB8 Mickey ear hat that I bought last month, so she's taken care of.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/830208352/porg-and-mickey-inspired-hat-optional?ref=yr_purchases

We got a funny mug for SoIL#2 (says I don't have the time or the crayons to explain things to you...silly Marine joke :rotfl2: ), some watercolor pencils and paper, and another Jim Butcher Dresden book. For DGS#2, we bought him a bunch of Lego movies (3 Jurassic World, 4 superhero, Lego 1 & 2), a couple of magnetic games (tic tac toe and bingo), the Eye Scene It Disney card game, and some workbooks (which is different, letters, etc)...all of his stuff can be used for their long plane ride.

Many prayers for your friend's parents, Lynxstch! Hug to you and thank you for your great reminder! I believe with all my heart that all who touch our lives or who we get to make a positive difference to, were made possible as a gift from God! It is so important to not take that for granted.

Yay, you got a treat Bianca and Bernard! Much congratulations to your husband! I ordered a Christmas stocking for my Dad last week due to come tomorrow. A friend has ordered all her Christmas gifts earlier because as she said come closer to Christmas prices may go up, stock down, and sadly we don't know about the mail. Very smart indeed to plan ahead!

Good for you, Easyas123, for doing some Late Summer/Autumn Cleaning and paring down! Thank you for sharing with others as well,

I’ve never been on a “real” game show, but I was on my high school quiz team, and I suppose that was recorded a few times for the local station, so that’s as close as I’ve come.

The one DH and I have been watching lately and would kind of like to be on is called “America Says” - we’ve even discussed who we’d want to take with us (as the teams have 4 people). They ask a fill-in-the-blank question, and you have to come with the top 7 answers. You are given the first letter of each, next to a line that vaguely clues you in on the length of the word(s).

I think I'm going to haul my fall/winter clothes downstairs this weekend and go thru them - committed to tossing some stuff and culling the stuff I keep year after year but never actually wear. I should take some boxes home to pack stuff up into for Goodwill, that might help spur me on to be more productive and toss more stuff out!
I am working on the same!

I think I'm going to haul my fall/winter clothes downstairs this weekend and go thru them - committed to tossing some stuff and culling the stuff I keep year after year but never actually wear. I should take some boxes home to pack stuff up into for Goodwill, that might help spur me on to be more productive and toss more stuff out!

Will be doing the same thing here. Calling for a high of 62 on Friday, Sat , and Sunday with lows down to 38? Way too early for it to get that chilly at night. I had to dig out sweats this morning to take the trash down to the street. Guess I will bring a couple of the electric heaters up too, just to take the chill out of the air. Waiting for hubby to call a few places and arrange for someone to come give us estimates for a new gas furnace..and I have to call our wood guy tomorrow to deliver a couple of loads for the wood stove. I don't mind Fall, but this feels more like winter on the way, lol

We don't have different clothes for different seasons......probably because the seasons don't change much.
Everything is in drawers, shelves and closets and just gets used when we pick it.

Baking today. Kids were not really in the mood, but we got through it. I think it is because they are staying and going to school here, so not a new place for now.

DGS made mug cake

IMG_20200916_093149726 - Copy.jpg

And DGD made Gluten free Chocolate Whoppers for DDIMG_20200916_104209634 - Copy.jpg

Will be doing the same thing here. Calling for a high of 62 on Friday, Sat , and Sunday with lows down to 38? Way too early for it to get that chilly at night. I had to dig out sweats this morning to take the trash down to the street. Guess I will bring a couple of the electric heaters up too, just to take the chill out of the air. Waiting for hubby to call a few places and arrange for someone to come give us estimates for a new gas furnace..and I have to call our wood guy tomorrow to deliver a couple of loads for the wood stove. I don't mind Fall, but this feels more like winter on the way, lol

Husband is heading up there this weekend, and I told him to take the electric blanket! The old farmhouse he stays in (no one lives there normally, they just use it as a base camp these days) if heated by one of those outdoor fire boxes and they won't have started that up for the season yet.

@Kirby Glad to hear your mother is able to go to rehab but sorry to hear about long term care and visiting. It is very tough these days for families and their loved ones in a nursing home. I know face time and waving through a window is not the same as visiting but I hope it brings some comfort to both of you. It is good that they have kept out covid so far. They must be doing something right.

I have never been on a game show but I did take the test for Jeopardy back when you had to go to a place and take a paper test. I went to a hotel in Copley Square in Boston. It was a lot of fun. I got more than half of the questions right so I was happy with that. They were not that easy. Only a handful of people were chosen to stay and go on for more testing. I think Jeopardy is in the genes. Oldest DGD has been watching Jeopardy since he was 2. All you need to say to him is This Is and he will yell Jeopardy then he hums the music.

It is still a bit cool here but warming up. It is around 74 right now. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer then back to 60 on Friday. DH is complaining about being cold. I told him to put on his bathrobe and a hat. We are not putting on the heat this early. LOL! At least we are saving on AC.

Let us know please should you and your DH ever choose to get on America Says, PollyannaMom :) Is that show similar to Family Feud?

No need for different season clothes here that's for sure. I do have one heavy jacket that one day post plague will need to be replaced (too big for me now). I have a pair of lightweight hiking shoes that I use as rain boots.

As always, thank you for sharing pictures of your grand children with us, Meriweather :)

ETA, as your post slipped in just ahead of mine, good for you Snowysmom! :)

AuntieMe3, so sorry for the loss of the soldier. Much appreciation for his service 🇺🇲

Lynxstch, prayers for your friends. Illness, hurricanes...2020 can bite the big one.

OMG, I've had it with distance learning already! The "specials" teachers keep sending assignments...Josh does one and three more pop up! The PE teacher has 2 different assignments sitting there now, even though Josh's class had actual PE on Monday, so that's 3 PE "classes" in one week. Granted, I could just click on "turn in" and not make him do it, but somehow they'd know (that's how my luck goes). He came home from school yesterday with a technology assignment that he not only already did in class, but he had to do it again and turn it in by noon today. We tried last night but of course the attachment wouldn't open. This is happening a lot; Teams doesn't automatically update like they said it would. I have to sign him out and back in again at least once an hour. Then I got it into my brilliant mind to take some photos and video of him doing his music assignment. Of course I did it with my phone, thinking I could just hook the iPad up to my computer and transfer the files that way. Nope. I had to get into Yahoo on the iPad, link it to Google Drive, download everything (4x, because I couldn't figure out where it was all going), attach it all to the assignment, and then try to sign out of Yahoo on the iPad - but there's no "sign out" button...you have to go into Settings and delete the account from there...

And should I even mention that after every meeting with his regular teacher, she has a small assignment for them to do and post before their next meeting? So that takes priority, and then he doesn't want to do the specials assignments...I am tearing my hair out. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm starting to agree that these kids need to go to school full-time. At least mine does. He's not learning squat at home. Except his states...I'm amazed that he knows them well, even just by silhouette!

I have been thinking, and I want to add another new Question Of The Day: What are your favorite Fall Meals that you can't wait to prepare?

I typically prefer lighter "spring/summer" meals...always felt that fall/winter meals were too heavy. There are certain things I enjoy, though. Shepherd's pie and cheeseburger chowder come to mind right away. Apple stuff - apple crisp and applesauce. Pumpkin bread (my mom makes a really good pumpkin apple bread - can do chocolate chips in place of the apple, too). At Thanksgiving, we always enjoy the stuffing...my SIL's partner absolutely loves it, even though it's just Bell's prepared with chicken broth, chopped onion and celery, and crumbled sausage. And our other SIL's mom makes a vegetable casserole, along the lines of traditional green bean casserole, but she uses carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower - and she says the trick is to use frozen veg ;)

Extra QOTD (To bring our thread back up): Would you like to be (have you ever been) on a Game Show?
I would NOT like to be on a game show. But so many people tell me that I should try out for Jeopardy. I know way too many useless facts. I find Final Jeopardy to be easier than the rest of the game. But I'd never be able to do it. I'd freeze up...can't stand being the center of attention.

DH and I toyed with the idea of trying out for Wheel of Fortune, for when they had the "couples" games. But neither of us would do well on a game show, so we never bothered.

@Kirby , I totally understand your emotions. It is so hard with a parent in a facility. We just went through that. Is she on the first floor? Can you visit at the window? And the facility where MIL was is offering in person visits in a special room with a plexiglass barrier set up. Hopefully your mom's facility will be able to do something like that soon as well.
This was wonderful when my FIL was in a facility for a few weeks over the summer. (He needed some physical rehab after having blood sugar issues for too long.) We had to set up an appointment first, and when the time came they'd bring him to the window and we stood outside shouting through it. It wasn't easy, because of course it was a thick non-opening window, but we managed. My MIL went every day.

@Kirby I'm sending you love and hugs and support. This is such hard decision for you and her. If I can be listening ear or support, please let me know. I'm pretty vocal about my struggle with my own decision and know how you feel. I commend you making the hard choice to give the best care you can provide to your mom.
@lynxstch Lynn, I'm glad your family is still being safe with all the hurricane rain. I hope they get chance to dry out before the next hit! Such scary time right now. I hope your friends continue to heal and get stronger every day.

Hi ya'll,
I'm tired but doing okay. I spent a long couple days with the endocrinologist and hematologist (is that the blood doctor) and the gyno and I've been poked and prodded and scanned to their happy hearts content. The good news is that the consensus is that I don't have leukemia and the hashimoto's disease isn't that bad off and can be regulated with little more thyroid medicine. Consensus seems that my endometriosis is growing within organs that can't be reached for removal without doing more damage. It seems I'll "live with it" with some
help of medication unless issues become too great and then I'll have to agree to rather radical surgery that I can't imagine ever saying yes to do so. So it's a mixed bag but ultimately I'll take the news and see it as good news and go on my way.

I've had lot of problems with my mom and having a almost uncontrollable anxiety meltdown the last few days. It's been a lot for us all but she is finally resting now. I guess she just needed it out her system. I'm sure it was something to see me in Costco pulled to side in aisle leading a meditation breathing session to include talking about hiding in the lion cage and nothing bad can happen if anyone was listening in the store.

Oh!! I made meatloaf for the first time yesterday! It was good. Matt really liked it and only change would be the sauce topping as it was way too sweet but I guess I had success overall. Yeah Team Tina! I guess I'm wading into fall season as Saturday the high supposed to be barely in the 60s. This makes me unhappy; I'm just not ready for winter looking cute in snuggly clothes or not. I'll have to go through and get things unpacked and ready for the upcoming seasons and put the kits back in the car with blankets and such.

Have ya'll noticed there is shortage of some fall decorations or things like the cheap trick or treat Halloween pails? I haven't seen those anywhere. I did slow start of changing over decorations and working on the rest Friday as we are having few couples over for games and mini Oktoberfest here at home Saturday so might as well have the house ready for fall stuff.

By the way happy 6 month anniversary to us!

By the way happy 6 month anniversary to us!

Happy Anniversary, and a special thanks to YOU for getting this whole shebang off the ground...and for the reason to use 'shebang' in a conversation:duck:

we are having few couples over for games and mini Oktoberfest here at home Saturday

That sounds like a good time! And it sounds like you deserve and need a good time, hope everyone has fun! I'm not a huge beer drinker myself, although I've been known to have a sip or two here or there. Honestly, it's not the beer taste, its the carbonation. I can't drink more than a sip of a soda pop either.

Today's big activities. I defrosted our basement freezer and found out exactly what was there. So much more space with the frost gone and everything organized. Also made chili for dinner with enough extra to freeze 3 or 4 meals. And last, my mother, who passed away in 2014, had an assistive device that helped her to read by magnifying whatever was placed under it. It had been at DH's office but needed a home. I found a Lions Club to take it and delivered it today.

Carter, and his mom, both survived daycare today. The classroom teacher brought him out so she could tell DD about the day. I am sure that helped her.

Hugs, apirateslifeforme. One day at a time! That sound awfully complicated and way to much for a Kindergartner! I would do the same on a game show! That is cool you and your DH thought about trying out.

A very Happy Anniversary to you and Matt, Tina! :) Many hugs and prayers to you, my friend on all your health trials :(

Easyas123, I don't drink (alcohol) at all period by choice. I hear you on carbonation! I also stick to juice and water. A few years ago, I had for the first time in forever a small cup of Canada Dry Ginger Ale for an upset stomach. I had always enjoyed this every now and then and had taken care to add extra ice so it would be colder and a bit more flat. Did that ever upset my system! No more.

Yay for Carter and his mom, Carol :) Thank you for sharing with someone else the magnifier!

Last edited:
Good morning, good morning to you and you and you ( insert names)🎶
Was that song from an elementary school teacher or a show on tv , I can’t remember.
Fall food - apple cider, pumpkin min donuts, beef stew,
Game show - supermarket sweep. Or the old let’s make a deal with the crazy costumes

QOTD: what song on the radio , is your happy song and makes you smile ?
happy ....I feel happy. Song seems obvious. I’ll have to think of some others.
80s. Different upbeat Whitney Houston songs, childhood . A little country Faith Hill. “ this kiss”. Today..some silly song on radio Disney about eating soup and a soda on the side

QOTD: what song on the radio , is your happy song and makes you smile ?

Oh! Good one! If I hear any of the following in the car, I'm turning the volume up!

Home Sweet Home, Motely Crue
About anything by Led Zepplin
Vacation or Our Lips are Sealed, Go Go's
Walking to Jerusalem, Mahalia Jackson
Anything with Rosemary Clooney
Anything from the 40's/Big Band era. Love it, waiting for Glenn Miller tickets to go on sale so I can see them again!
I'm Gonna Be - Proclaimers
Shambala - Three Dog Night
Most of the Beatles catalog
Cross Eyed Mary - Jethru Tull
I'm sure there are others - but the above fit my mood at the moment!
* Admittedly I mostly listed to talk radio in the car, and almost always at the office unless there is a football or baseball game on (my channel of choice is a AM "flagship" channel that broadcasts the Baltimore area sports teams when they play) but sometimes I switch over to music. I listen to music a lot at home though.

Kinda gloomy out here in our neck of the woods today, I think we may have a chance of rain later this evening. We continue to work on removing the fence line we are taking down. We didn't put the original fence up, and it would appear some of the posts - randomly with no rhyme or reason it would appear - are sakreted in, and my farm tractor doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to pull them out, so we will need to bring a larger/beefier loader home this evening to pull them out. Still no word on when our trees are shipping, so we are just trying to get everything done so we can be ready when they do arrive. Slow and steady wins the race...

Heard from my Aunt who lives in Mobile, AL and they weathered the storm safely. Lost a tree and yard in a mess, but otherwise it seems okay, so that is good.

I took some steaks out for dinner this evening, and will just have them with a simple salad.

Have a good day everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter