• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Is there a way to private message here? (What is a conversation?) I am in Cecil County, which is upper eastern shore.
You are definitely in my age group.
I found "start a conversation" - assuming it is same as a PM?

Yes it's the same! What used to be private messages are now called conversations, it works just the same. Just start one with the person you want to message!

Wow! So many names that I havent seen in such a long time!

My name is Jen. I found the DISboards back when I was in college and planning a trip with some friends. I am now 35, got married last year, and expecting my first baby! Im a teacher and we are working from home for at least the next month. I figured I finally have time to come back here....whenever our next trip is, it will be with a baby!

Today may be another baking day. I could not find clear vanilla extract anywhere and I hate when I make a glaze with regular vanilla how it makes the color more muddy looking than white. So, I bought some clear Mexican vanilla on Amazon and it just arrived. I know Mexican vanilla is different than regular vanilla and it does smell different, not bad, just different. I read all the reviews and most were very positive so thought I would give it a try. Will make some sort of cake today and then make a glaze and see how it comes out. I'll report back.

Got our home office cleaned out yesterday....it seemed to be a catch-all room since the holidays but now you can actually sit at the desk LOL. Today may be the linen closet clean out.

Yesterday the jams were the Disney Play List on Alexa. Today may be Elton Johns greatest hits while I am in the kitchen.

Dinner tonight is still up in the air.....maybe roast chicken and roasted brussel sprouts. Last night was Pizza. Think I will binge on some Disney plus tonight.

MJ

Last edited:
To all, I'm so glad see repeaters and people I haven't seen in forever (JEN!!) Happy Friday!! I'm glad ya'll are still with me.
And we have made it a week or so! We can do this. It's scary and difficult and emotional and just trying time.
I don't know how long we are going to have to do this but I know how we are going to do this....we are going to go one minute, one hour and one day at time. We aren't going to look down the calendar or worry so much about 2 weeks from now. We are going to make it day by day. I think that was something I had to learn through all these deployments is you go day by day and give yourself some grace. We are all in same suck together. This is still new and constantly changing which doesn't help us all settle down into a routine. Please start a routine for your family. It will help this process. Control what you can control and don't expect perfection.

I've talked with lot of people this week about fears and children. Children are so resilient, we don't give them enough credit but project on them sometimes. Let them see you doing okay and keeping to routine and life within the parameters and everyone can get through it. Reach out and talk to other parents and share the misery, worry and suck that it can be sometimes.

As for us, we are doing okay. Matt's college graduation has been cancelled. He went back to school after Army retirement and been busting hump to dual degree graduate in 3 years. I'm going to make one happen if I have to have on my front lawn and skype the world in and play the music on my phone. Dinner tonight is tune melts and can soup. Fancy....

Now on to a question for the day..

Question for Friday 3/20: What was your favorite tv show as a child? It can be cartoon sitcom or black and white sock puppets. What did you enjoy?

This weekend I'm going to start streaming Alf I think. I loved it as a kid and it just made me laugh. I also going to look for old school Saturday morning cartoons tomorrow and have morning in my pjs watching cartoons I haven't watched in a while. If ya'll have cartoon Saturday morning let me know!

To all, I'm so glad see repeaters and people I haven't seen in forever (JEN!!) Happy Friday!! I'm glad ya'll are still with me.
And we have made it a week or so! We can do this. It's scary and difficult and emotional and just trying time.
I don't know how long we are going to have to do this but I know how we are going to do this....we are going to go one minute, one hour and one day at time. We aren't going to look down the calendar or worry so much about 2 weeks from now. We are going to make it day by day. I think that was something I had to learn through all these deployments is you go day by day and give yourself some grace. We are all in same suck together. This is still new and constantly changing which doesn't help us all settle down into a routine. Please start a routine for your family. It will help this process. Control what you can control and don't expect perfection.

I've talked with lot of people this week about fears and children. Children are so resilient, we don't give them enough credit but project on them sometimes. Let them see you doing okay and keeping to routine and life within the parameters and everyone can get through it. Reach out and talk to other parents and share the misery, worry and suck that it can be sometimes.

As for us, we are doing okay. Matt's college graduation has been cancelled. He went back to school after Army retirement and been busting hump to dual degree graduate in 3 years. I'm going to make one happen if I have to have on my front lawn and skype the world in and play the music on my phone. Dinner tonight is tune melts and can soup. Fancy....

Now on to a question for the day..
I believe it is only a matter of days before my DS's university announces graduation will be canceled. I am so sad about that, but there is nothing I can do right now. One of the proudest days of my life was when I walked across that stage to get my BA and I'm heartbroken he won't receive the same recognition. :(

I read a quote today on Facebook I wanted to share.

When everything is moving and shifting, the only way to counteract chaos is stillness. When things feel extraordinary, strive for ordinary.~ Kristen Armstrong

Question for Friday 3/20: What was your favorite tv show as a child? It can be cartoon sitcom or black and white sock puppets. What did you enjoy?

This weekend I'm going to start streaming Alf I think. I loved it as a kid and it just made me laugh. I also going to look for old school Saturday morning cartoons tomorrow and have morning in my pjs watching cartoons I haven't watched in a while. If ya'll have cartoon Saturday morning let me know!
Little House On The Prairie!

I liked Sky King. It was live action about a rancher and his daughter. It was on Saturday morning followed by a show that went into factories to demonstrate how things were made. So, I am old and a nerd.

Something I have become increasingly thankful for - I retired from home health care about 18 months ago and took SS. I would not have income if I had not. DH is self employed in health care and also took SS last year because of age. He is closed now with no income but still has business bills. I am so glad we have SS as income.

I believe it is only a matter of days before my DS's university announces graduation will be canceled. I am so sad about that, but there is nothing I can do right now. One of the proudest days of my life was when I walked across that stage to get my BA and I'm heartbroken he won't receive the same recognition. :(

I read a quote today on Facebook I wanted to share.

When everything is moving and shifting, the only way to counteract chaos is stillness. When things feel extraordinary, strive for ordinary.~ Kristen Armstrong

I wanted to like your post but didn't want to like because it was good and bad. So here's :hug:

I liked Sky King. It was live action about a rancher and his daughter. It was on Saturday morning followed by a show that went into factories to demonstrate how things were made. So, I am old and a nerd.

Something I have become increasingly thankful for - I retired from home health care about 18 months ago and took SS. I would not have income if I had not. DH is self employed in health care and also took SS last year because of age. He is closed now with no income but still has business bills. I am so glad we have SS as income.

How was your zoom meeting? Did ya'll do well? It's interesting to see the technology we complain that takes us apart bringing us together. I was telling my husband the whole "boomer" and millennials getting education in the other ways of life.

I watched Sky King too!! I am old.

My favorite was Legend of Jessie James.......crush on lead.
Loved TV......watched so much.
Loved Charlie's Angels, Mod Squad, Bonanza, and could go on and on. Dark Shadows......I would rush home for school to watch it

I cancelled our River cruise for Aug. Our passports were stuck in DC because the Visa office for the country we were going to is closed until May 4th.......and still hoping for that family Disney cruise, so my TA told me to ask them to send them back now and we just decided to cancel the whole things.

I don't have much to do today, but I will find things.
I have gone to stores the last 3 days, so a few days off from that!

Ah man, asking us to show our age here...

Loved my Saturday morning cartoons! Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd. The Laff-a-lympics. Scooby Doo. Woody Woodpecker. Captain Caveman. Casper. Tom & Jerry. Mighty Mouse. Pink Panther. Jetsons. Yogi Bear. Underdog. Hong Kong Phooey. Grape Ape. Dastardly and Muttly. Bullwinkle and Rockey. It was the only time I was guaranteed to have tv time (except for Christmas shows)! (For the youngsters, we only had one tv with 5 channels...ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and a UHF station I can barely remember. No remote. And dad was the king of the castle; we watched what he wanted to watch.)

My favorite show as a kid? Wonder Woman. Also Charlie's Angels; wanted to be an angel so much. Soap. Dukes of Hazzard, Love Boat and CHiPS. Little House on the Prairie. Partridge Family. Three's Company (even if I didn't totally understand all the jokes). Happy Days. Mister Rogers Neighborhood. Sesame Street. Electric Company (Spidey was the best).

ETA: my plans for today. 2 loads of laundry (did bedding yesterday). I have a pork shoulder in the crockpot. Tonight it will become al pastor tacos; freeze leftovers for BBQ sandwiches next week. My house needs a good sweep and mop in the kitchen/baths, so I'll get that done. WoW game time. and....that's it for today!

Little House On The Prairie!

Wow, that's a blast from the past for sure. I liked the books much more, but the show was a big deal too. I even dressed up for Halloween with the dress/petticoat and bonnet one year. My mom made the entire thing for me. One of my daughters pulled it out of storage and wore it to a Halloween party and won a prize for it. Can't remember anymore what the prize category was.

Hope everyone is doing well here today! Had a lovely morning. Walked to my aerobics "class". There are only three of us left so we have plenty of space. Hope to do some yard work next, just taking a DIS break.

I like my TV and kid is such a huge timeline so I cant limit to one. I know, Im a rule breaker. I loved the Smurfs, Mr Wizard, LHOTP, Three's Company (Jack Tripper was so cool!), Facts of Life and Silver Spoons. Oh, and Spaceman. Had a huge crush on CB Barnes. Probably shouldnt have been watching that one because it was really heavy for a kid. LOL

I cancelled our River cruise for Aug

We didn't have a river cruise booked, but we were thinking about pulling the trigger right before all this stuff hit the fan.
I'm not going to lie - my trigger finger is itchy, and I'm hoping to get a great deal and will be ready to book as soon as we can now!

As a kid I like Dr. Who and Facts of Life, the latter probably having a lot to do with me asking my parents to go to boarding school! It was the late 80's, and I fully admit it lived up to the hype in my head 😆

Not sure what is on tap for dinner this evening. I neglected to take anything out of the freezer, so it may end up being a lazy version of french dips for us.
No plans this weekend, beyond yard work. Took the dog to the vet this AM, so that chore is done. Both my husband and I are still working full time, and unless one of us gets sick, I can't imagine that changing.

Friday already! It's gone kind of fast for me.

On the sad side my neighbor of 29 years passed yesterday at home. It is devastating for his family, of course, but he was also a wonderful person loved by all. He was just 62.

I'm supposed to be "working at home" but haven't accomplished much in that area, because of course, I needed to prepare my work space. It took two days to clean up the home office area. But WOW, what a difference. Our whole downstairs looks spiffy! (except the TV room, that's next)

Favorite TV show...I liked Sky King too! But my favorites were probably The Monkees and Dark Shadows.

What are you all binge watching. I just finished INVASION. It's a one season show set in the Everglades about strange happenings after a hurricane. I wish they had a second season but it doesn't leave you unsatisfied with a huge cliff hanger.

I watched a couple episodes of Cold Case. I'll probably continue with that.

Happy Spring to all my fellow DIS'ers on this thread!!:flower1:

I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of tv when I was little. So my favorite would have to be The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. I also liked I Love Lucy, and My Favorite Martian. When I got a little older, my favorite was to come home from school and watch Dark Shadows.

Yesterday I went downstairs to the cellar and planted tomato seeds (72 to be exact, lol). I may be giving away a LOT of plants, as I have no intention of having as large a garden this year as I have done in the past. It's too much for one person, and I'm not a Spring chicken anymore, lol!
I did laundry this morning, washed the kitchen floor and made a grocery list for tomorrow. Hubby is working from home, and has the kitchen table so covered with papers, you can't see the table anymore. His phone is going off constantly between calls and emails, and it's driving me nuts. :mic: The temp is currently 69 degrees (on March 20-in MD? LOL!) and it's sprinkling lightly . Calling for chance of strong storms tonite, so I think I'll go sit on the porch swing and just enjoy the air.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter