Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

We were busy this weekend! Yesterday we went to a birthday party for one of Josh's friends and his sister. The friend (we'll call him H) will be 5 on Wednesday and his sister will be 2 sometime next week, so they just have one party for both of them at the same time. They did have a parade first, so that people could still celebrate if they weren't comfortable staying for a party. They definitely had far less people than last year, but still more than 25. The boys were so happy to see each other again, though - H came running up and gave Josh a big hug when he saw him.

Today is my mom's birthday, but she of course isn't interested in celebrating it. She never wants a gift either. We gave up some time ago; we just do cards now. We suggested going to the creamery right up the street for ice cream and she was more than willing to go for that, at least.

QOTD- June 13. Have you been to a DIS meet and/or met DISsers in person?

While I have many friends among DISsers, I have yet to meet anyone in person (that I know of). I am Facebook friends with several people...about 9 or 10 years, but I "knew" them on the DIS before I joined FB in 2009. And there is one DISser in particular that I've been "talking" to regularly for 14 years now (multiple times per week), but we still have not met in person!

It's dinner time in the household.
Making up an entree based on what's on hand. Have just enough farfelle pasta (AKA bowties) for the two of us so that's about to get boiled. A quarter of a Roma tomato, diced, 1/2 a lg. shallot will be sauteed in butter, and when the shallots are translucent, I'll add some heavy cream and quartered grape tomatoes to the pot to simmer. Finally grated cheese, pre cooked smoked sausage, and steamed kale and peas. No planned dessert tonight which doesn't mean the man wont have ice cream and strawberries. I'm drinking club soda and the man just put a bottle of Coke in the freezer.

We decided we'll visit a beach Tuesday, and since we aren't sure if the concessionaire will be open, I took some some chicky parts out the freezer to fry. This is very unusual for me since I don't like frying in the house but the first picnic of the season is a good time to break rules:). Going to make some potato salad too since I've been "dying" for some. Think I'll bring a green salad in a jar as well.

I'll ask....Do you enjoy going to the movies? Obviously when you could go to the actual theater...lol Do you enjoy going or would you rather wait and watch a movie at home??

I don't enjoy going to the theater....I like being able to see the movie on a big screen and I love getting popcorn and snacks but I can not concentrate on the movie while in the theater. I'm constantly looking around and paying attention to whatever anyone is doing in there. If someone gets up, I follow them(with my eyes) on their way out....I watch people that come in late looking for a seat...etc...its annoying and I don't know why I do it. I'm not easily distracted like that anywhere else.... :sad2:

I do like going to the drive in, lucky for us we still have one in operation, its so fun!! I can still get distracted but not as bad as the theater.

And a little catch up post...I felt terrible beginning of last week but I'm pretty sure it was just allergies because it went away pretty quickly. I helped with my mom a few days so my dad could get a little break and then my sister and niece came to visit a week earlier than I expected because my parents are going out of town next weekend. They are going to visit my brother and his family at their new house, they were supposed to go early March but my nephews were sick and then my SIL who's a home health nurse started doing COVID testing and some of her patients were positive so she didn't want to get my parents sick if they came to visit. Thankfully their area hasn't had any new cases in a while and SIL feels its ok for them to come visit again, it will be a nice getaway for them.

And then for us....what whirlwind it's been...Hubby has been saving money specifically for a giant new TV. With the quarantine, we haven't been going out and doing as much as we normally would so he was able to save more than he expected, faster than he expected. Last week, he was able to buy his precious GIGANTIC TV at Costco(its 86"...:eek:)...we got it home and the top of the screen had some dark spots and lines going across the top and down from the spots so he had to return it. We waited until late Friday evening when our friend could help him this time but we waited to do the setup until Saturday so our friend didn't have to stay too late Friday since he had worked a long day. Saturday morning, hubby decided we needed a new TV console so we emptied our current console and went on hunt before our friend come over. While we were looking, we found a couch set we loved for a great price, we'd been talking about getting a new set so we got that too. We almost got a new dining set too but we wouldn't have had enough room in our truck for that so we said maybe in a couple weeks. LOL OMG Can you believe in our 23 years of married life, aside from our TV and our old console, this is the first BRAND NEW FURNITURE we've ever bought ourselves? We've always had nice things but it's always been second hand from friends and family so I guess its time we bought something for ourselves. :laughing:

Wow, you have been busy, AuntieMe3! I am so happy to hear you and your husband were able to treat yourselves, that's great. Enjoy your new TV and couch! Most of all, so thankful you are feeling better.

Thanks for asking today's question :) I prefer to watch movies at home. Actually, due to my TMJ, being in a theater would not work because they are just so LOUD. Also, of course, the cost has skyrocketed of a ticket and it is much more comfortable to be able to take a movie break as needed from the comfort of home. The closest to a drive in I have been to has been a Trunk or Treat at church lol. Sometimes a movie is projected for the youngest kids on screen in the parking lot.

Wishing all a good night and sweet dreams :)

I'll ask....Do you enjoy going to the movies? Obviously when you could go to the actual theater...lol Do you enjoy going or would you rather wait and watch a movie at home??

I don't enjoy going to the theater....I like being able to see the movie on a big screen and I love getting popcorn and snacks but I can not concentrate on the movie while in the theater. I'm constantly looking around and paying attention to whatever anyone is doing in there. If someone gets up, I follow them(with my eyes) on their way out....I watch people that come in late looking for a seat...etc...its annoying and I don't know why I do it. I'm not easily distracted like that anywhere else.... :sad2:

I do like going to the drive in, lucky for us we still have one in operation, its so fun!! I can still get distracted but not as bad as the theater.

We love going to the movie theater.
We normally would go once a week, usually Thursdays and go out to lunch.
We try to go to the earliest showing and usually it is fairly empty.

Now we take turns every Thursday picking a movie from Netflix or Prime.
The last 4 weeks have been pretty bad. My turn this week and I really want to find a good one!

I had to LOL at today's question. I haven't been in a movie theater in years, I think the last movie I saw in one, was either the original Jurassic Park, or the Jurassic Park 2? Which would make it maybe 93 or a couple of years later. Prices started getting too high, movies started being released to home video sooner, and I have a husband who will fall asleep 10 minutes into a movie, no matter where he is. 😴
We just watch them at home where we are comfortable. If he wants to sleep, I can watch and then he can back it up to what he missed, lol!

I'm an unabashed straight up shoeaholic from a long line of same. One of my mother's favorite childhood stories revolved around a pair of high top leather shoes one of her uncles made for her to return to the US. Took a lot to weed my shoe collection down when we moved to this smaller space.

Not a flip flop lover-they are merely utilitarian in my mostly urban life. Not great for concrete sidewalk distance walking but do get utilised for beaches; I buy the cheapest pair I can find since they rarely last a full summer.

For city visiting and at home walking I'm currently addicted to Easy Spirit's Traveltime clogs. Slightly peeved with the company since they modified the shoe tongue. I've gotten around this style and comfort faux pas by having a shoemaker cut it down and re style them but wish the manufacturer would go back to the way they were.
When I need to wear footwear that's a bit more "citified" but still comfortable I opt for Donald Pliner's cork wedge heeled sandals.
For winter wear mostly I wear boots w/ thigh highs and anklets as go-tos. Spectators and low heeled mules are also fun.

Keep well, all and try to find joy in the little things 💕

NYCgrll--I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I ordered a pair of these the other day, and so far these seem to be the best fitting, most comfortable shoes I have found in forever! I wore them yesterday most of the day, and actually forgot that I had shoes on! Going to buy a couple of more pairs in different colors now!

Today's question: We love seeing movies in theaters -- big screen all the way! -- but... we are very picky about the new movies we see (relatively few new releases). And we always bring ear plugs because everything is SO loud these days! There are a few retro/vintage theaters in our area, so we mostly try to see classic movies, on the big screen, in their original format. There is nothing like seeing a classic film with a live audience, especially when you can tell that many audience members are seeing the film for the first time. "It's a Wonderful Life" with newbies? Oh my! Pass the tissues! This past Valentine's weekend, we got to see "Casablanca" in a theater -- heard people gasping out loud at the end! It was great!

Last edited:
I love going to the movies! :lovestruc A lot of times DD and I go mid-week because we have weird work schedules so it’s nice to go when few people are there. She will often doze off after getting comfy (was always the same way at WDW during shows) so sometimes I feel like I practically have the place to myself, lol. We like the Lux theaters, too, where you can order food and sit in a big recliner!:goodvibes They used to have a Cap’n Crunch chicken that was good, but I think they stopped making it. My go-to is the turkey club. If DS comes he orders the warm chocolate chip cookies and milk which they will bring later in the movie if you prefer! But it’s nice just to minimize the running around on a well-deserved occasional night out.

DH and I though still say that one of our favorite times in our lives re movies was early on - shortly after we bought our first home, and before kids. Money was tight as his company had been sold so he was laid off. We tightened our belts but the one splurge we treated ourselves to then was a late movie on Sunday nights. Place was always empty. We packed some sandwiches and brought them with us; bought a popcorn to share so we didn’t feel as bad. Somehow there was something magical about it; a much simpler time in our lives though we didn’t know it then.

Another memorable movie-related story was the first time we took our twins to see a movie. It was Toy Story 2. We talked to them beforehand about rules for the theater - how they had to be quiet and such. But we sweetened the deal by saying they could have popcorn, a drink, and a piece of candy, lol. They were so darned cute sitting there with all their stuff quiet as church mouses, and so enthralled with seeing the movie up on the big screen, that it became a favored activity for us as a family and still is to this day!

Good question @AuntieMe3!

Do you enjoy going to the movies? Obviously when you could go to the actual theater...lol Do you enjoy going or would you rather wait and watch a movie at home??

I do enjoy it. Immediately pre-pandemic, we didn't go all that often; we'd sometimes wait for things to come out on digital. But DH and I would occasionally go as a "date night" and we always splurged and saw the new Star Wars releases in "4D" as a family.

When DH and I had our first apartment, we had a tradition of taking Halloween off work (because trick-or-treating started about 4:00 in our neighborhood. :rotfl2:) But early in the day, we'd go to the movies. We'd start with the very first showing of whatever was out, like 10:00am, then have lunch there and see another one right after. We'd get home in time to decorate the door and enjoy all the cute costumes and candy.

DS's first theater experience was "Piglet's Big Movie". I have a cute picture of him in the lobby by a big stand-up poster for it, holding his popcorn.

Oh, movies! We only go to certain kinds of movies in theaters. Marvel, Star Wars, LOTR to name a few. Otherwise, they can wait until they hit Redbox, or if we really 'meh' about seeing them, they can wait until they are free on cable/Netflix/Hulu. We've gotten snobby about our theaters; we only go to the ones with reclining seats now. Epic has an XL screen that we always go see the above named movies at (well, not LOTR).

Let's see...DD#1's first movie was Indian Jones and the Last Crusade when she was about 3 months; she and I both slept through the entire film. It wouldn't really have mattered if she cried, as it was only myself, her other parent, my step-sister and her in the theater. It was at the old $1 theater by the Aurora Mall. DD#2 had her first movie there also, with DH, in 1993 (I can't remember what movie it was, though; she was a little bitty thing, maybe 2 months old); it was still $1 then. DS saw Cars, at DL, in 2006.

I have to finish putting away 2 loads of clothes that I washed and dried yesterday; sweep and mop and vacuum the whole house. That's my busy day ahead, lol. I'm almost done streaming Amazing Race (Amazon goes to season 29, I think, and I'm almost done with 23); then I'll have to find something else to binge watch. Oh, and signups for the Reddit secret santa exchange open up today, so I'll have to take a look to see if anything appeals to me; I'll definitely sign up for Arbitrary Day (like Christmas in July), but IDK if I'll do anything else. :scratchin:confused3

Dinner tonight is something with shrimp and spicy sausage (I have to use both). Maybe I'll saute them with garlic and onion; toss with some crushed fire roasted tomatoes, basil, oregano, and parmesan, and serve with a fresh baked focaccia. Guess I better get on the focaccia, lol.

We enjoy going to the movies a few times a year. Depends on what is playing and if we really want to see it....for several years there was a movie out over the Christmas holidays and so we went on Christmas eve late morning. In the past few years we've caught Nightmare Before Christmas and White Christmas at the movies, that was fun.

NYCgrll--I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I ordered a pair of these the other day, and so far these seem to be the best fitting, most comfortable shoes I have found in forever! I wore them yesterday most of the day, and actually forgot that I had shoes on! Going to buy a couple of more pairs in different colors now!
Glad they are feeling good on your oh so important tootsies:). Which style did you opt for? And as for the colors I generally buy 2 pairs a year in part to not have to choose one over the over, LOL. Currently wearing an old and holey pair as house slippers and yes they feel like nothing on my feet. And getting back to the colors I'm not giving htis pair up since I'm trying to find them again on the secondary market and don't want to forget the exact color and styling. At least that's the excuse I'm sticking to:lmao:.

I like going to the movies ok but it’s expensive. I always think we could watch it at home and order pizza for the same price.
I never met anyone from the dis that I know of. I thought it would be fun to have a retirement community ( many years from now) of just dis people. Your apt could have your dis name on the door! People would come by and say “ hey grumpy’s gal, would you like to go for a walk with us?” And I’d say “ sure! Let me tell Grumpy that I’m leaving.”😊

Glad they are feeling good on your oh so important tootsies:). Which style did you opt for? And as for the colors I generally buy 2 pairs a year in part to not have to choose one over the over, LOL. Currently wearing an old and holey pair as house slippers and yes they feel like nothing on my feet. And getting back to the colors I'm not giving htis pair up since I'm trying to find them again on the secondary market and don't want to forget the exact color and styling. At least that's the excuse I'm sticking to

I got the Easy Spirit Womens Traveltime Mules, in natural color. They are so comfy they feel like a cloud on my feet. I am trying to find a pair of the
Tine 2 Slide Sandals, but every color I pick is out of stock in my size, or too much to pay for. I paid $29.99 for the mules, which looked like a really good price after I scoured the internet for hours, lol! I want the blue mules with seashells on them, but so far the only seller on Amazon I can find that has them in my size, wants $68.95--no thank you!!

Another beautiful day today, a little cool for June but loving the low humidity.

Saturday we went to an Amish furniture store we liked. Didn't buy anything but DH found two chairs he will probably go back and buy. One a leather recliner and one a glider for our screen porch. He needs to be able to nap in every room. LOL On the way home we stopped for a 3 mike hike at our local natural resource area.

Yesterday was church, DH went to visit his mom, and later we took a another walk in nature.
Dinner was chicken BBQ (out of the freezer), oven fries, and I had a salad and DH had left over creamed corn which he likes and I don't.

@AuntieMe3 , yay for new furniture.

I am not a big fan of going to the theater but DH is. I think it is pricey and often rude people talking, etc. We find matinees to have less rude folk. And DH and I have totally different tastes in movies.

I have a husband who will fall asleep 10 minutes into a movie, no matter where he is. 😴
Me too. We rent a movie he wants to see then he promptly falls asleep and I've got nothing.

And we always bring ear plugs because everything is SO loud these days!
This too. We saw Gravity in the theater and I left with a migraine from the loudness.

We've gotten snobby about our theaters; we only go to the ones with reclining seats now.
I'm not a fan of the reclining seats. I wish the head could go back before the feet come up. Feels weird laying next to a stranger on one side.

DD#1's first movie was Indian Jones and the Last Crusade when she was about 3 months; she and I both slept through the entire film. It wouldn't really have mattered if she cried, as it was only myself, her other parent, my step-sister and her in the theater.
LOL, DD took her DD to see the live action Beauty and the Beast when the baby was 1 month old or so. She went with her nursing mothers group to a matinee so there were a lot of babies there.

for several years there was a movie out over the Christmas holidays
When the kids were in high school/college, we used to go to a movie on Christmas break. It was a nice family activity.

The man loves the entire movie experience, I'm not as big a fan. Used to be before it cost in excess of 50 bucks for 2 to go there. I think the last movie we saw together at a theatre was "Julia and Me" when it first came out. We were camping, it was raining, so it was fine to duck into stadium seated civilization :rotfl:. Before that probably at the turn of the century we saw 2 Oscar contenders in one day at a local movie house: "Monster's Ball" and "Traffic"; yep it's been a long time.
The man still goes to the theatre alone or with DGD and I bow out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter