Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

QOTD What are you making for the holidays?
Christmas Eve I am making myself a shrimp tray, devilled eggs, potato skins and some kind of dessert (yet to be decided)

For Christmas Day, I decided to forego turkey and ham, and make myself a roast duck, something I haven't had in forever and I love.
Usually New Years would be pork and sauerkraut, but since I'm breaking with old traditions, I may just make some ribs instead.

Tazdev So sorry about Anthony's diagnosis.

Mona Glad you are continuing to make progress.

Lynn I am glad you are taking of yourself and know what you need.

Pea-n-me I hope you DD feels better soon. So much going around these days.

I made it to the office and back yesterday through some very heavy rains. I got a new laptop. If they had approved it months ago when they should have I would not have been in this mess. It really stressed me out which is what I did not need. Then I got back to the condo to find water coming in through the window wells in 2 windows. The woman who lives on the hill next to me asked me if I needed any help when she saw me outside looking into the window wells and seeing water. I told her nothing to do at this point. I took pics and sent then along to the builder. 10 minutes later the foreman of the builder's co rang the doorbell. He said the lady next door said to stop by. He saw the water in action. He is doing emergency grading this week. He walked the property outside and said it needs grading away from the foundation. So, people are supposed to be coming by this week to fix the grading and the AC unit that is tilted. I talked with him for a while and questioned him alot. I told him this needs to be fixed so I don't get water in the basement and he assured me they would be sure that happens. I am going to get him on the window wells. He claims there is crushed rock in there but the water fill the wells so I don't think it is the way the inspector said it should be. I am going to ask him to dig down more, put in more crushed rock, and leave the 6 inches below the shelf of the basement window empty. I am going to keep on this. Another big stressor for me which I do not need. I told Jeff I will sell at a loss. Of course he called me to talk me off the ledge. LOL!

Have a good day.

QOTD… what is everyone making for the holidays?

Christmas Eve - not sure what for dinner yet, but always my mom's "shrimp stuff" appetizer.

Christmas Day - going to MIL's. I just have to bring cheeseballs and a dessert. I'll probably do my mom's no-bake chocolate cookies and a pie with nut crust and sugar-free pudding (for the three diabetics).

Tazdev So sorry about Anthony's diagnosis.

Mona Glad you are continuing to make progress.

Lynn I am glad you are taking of yourself and know what you need.

Pea-n-me I hope you DD feels better soon. So much going around these days.

I made it to the office and back yesterday through some very heavy rains. I got a new laptop. If they had approved it months ago when they should have I would not have been in this mess. It really stressed me out which is what I did not need. Then I got back to the condo to find water coming in through the window wells in 2 windows. The woman who lives on the hill next to me asked me if I needed any help when she saw me outside looking into the window wells and seeing water. I told her nothing to do at this point. I took pics and sent then along to the builder. 10 minutes later the foreman of the builder's co rang the doorbell. He said the lady next door said to stop by. He saw the water in action. He is doing emergency grading this week. He walked the property outside and said it needs grading away from the foundation. So, people are supposed to be coming by this week to fix the grading and the AC unit that is tilted. I talked with him for a while and questioned him alot. I told him this needs to be fixed so I don't get water in the basement and he assured me they would be sure that happens. I am going to get him on the window wells. He claims there is crushed rock in there but the water fill the wells so I don't think it is the way the inspector said it should be. I am going to ask him to dig down more, put in more crushed rock, and leave the 6 inches below the shelf of the basement window empty. I am going to keep on this. Another big stressor for me which I do not need. I told Jeff I will sell at a loss. Of course he called me to talk me off the ledge. LOL!

Have a good day.
Glad someone came right away!

Our Christmas meals

Without the Coasties because of Tom’s health, we will continue with our regular tradition, but with much less food.

Sharing Opłatek before a brunch of Polish food. We do not do it Christmas Eve, the usual Polish tradition…our family has always done it on Christmas, even with my grandparents who came from Poland.
https://holidappy.com/holidays/wiegela-the-polish-christmas-eve

Then DH, or maybe this year Garry will cook steaks on the grill, with typical sides like mushrooms, potatoes and salads. Sometimes we would have a rib roast, but going with steaks this year.

Good morning!:cold:

We actually got snow yesterday so I finally turned the heat on ❄️. By the weekend it's supposed to be back into the mid to upper 50's (heat will be back off). This is just crazy weather, either stay cold or warm.

Tazdev - so sorry to hear about Anthony's injury. That's a horrible way to go out if he's not able to bounce back for baseball.

Pea-n-me - your DD sounds like she has the exact thing I had last month. Those were the same medicines I was taking, unfortunately they didn't help me. I know I had pnuemonia. There were times I would just stand in the hot shower, my neck was so sore. Hope she feels better for Xmas.

QOTD #1: Yes, I eat the potatoe skin.🥔

QOTD #2: I already ordered a tray of finger sandwiches for Xmas Eve when the kids all come over 🥪. They are each bringing a couple of appetizers, I decided not to do a big dinner this year since I work the night before. I also work Xmas Day so we are bringing food, I offered to bring bagel dip and the bagels.

Worked from home most of yesterday, both of my bosses either was off or worked from home. I also ran to Target and finished up the Xmas shopping. I just needed to get a Target gift card and I wanted to find a stocking for Mitchell's girlfriend that matched the other 2 girls. One of my co-workers bought me a gift so I had to pick something up for her 😣. When I got home I put all the gift bags together so now I am completely done.

Dinner last night was a frozen pizza that I shared with the dogs.🍕

Have a great day! :wave:

Good snowy morning. Yes, snowy. We were only supposed to get a few flakes, yet the ground is covered in white. It's supposed to stop by 10 and it better. They got quite a bit to the west of us. This whole weather thing is backwards. My friend in CO is having 60 and 70 degree days with no snow, and we are going to be 35 today and it's snowing, lol.

I'm waiting till it stops to take the car down to the street with all of the trash. I don't want to set boxes down on the wet ground and have the bottoms get mushy. This is finally the last week I will have more than a couple of bags to put out, I'm sure that will make the trash guys happy.

I have to make my grocery list for tomorrow when I have a few other errands to do, and after that I'm staying put until after the holiday. I plan to hibernate through Christmas, but I've decided that in January, I'm going to start getting out and doing things again, whether I feel like it or not.

I need to put a load of laundry in, and maybe finally get to making those cookies, but I don't have much else on the to do list.

Have a nice day everyone

1702995616685.png

We still haven’t gotten our tree up yet.
We put ours up on Sunday, we usually put it up about a week before Christmas.
QOTD: Do you eat the potato skin?
Yes!
Now the bad news and we can use all the prayers you can muster.
Oh no, I hope he heals well. Kids can be hardy & resilient, so I hope he doesn't have any life long nagging of these injuries.
I'm debating getting a snow blower,
I have noticed something, honestly I thought I was maybe imagining it. But it seems like there are a lot more snow blowers for sale at the various places that sell them. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the predictions of it being a snowier winter season in the Mid-Atlantic / Northeast?
QOTD… what is everyone making for the holidays?
We decided to change things up, and go low-key. I usually do a whole nine yards turkey dinner & roast duck on Christmas Day. Instead we are doing seafood 'finger foods' - grilled scallops, steamed shrimp, king crab legs, crab dip, plus some cold dips and whatnot.
Christmas Eve we are doing fondue....and chicken wings :rolleyes:
I've decided that in January, I'm going to start getting out and doing things again, whether I feel like it or not.
Good for you for doing things on your own timeline. I'll be thinking of you as you navigate this New Year.

Good morning everyone. Husband did just fine yesterday, and he's reoperating at home. Running home shortly to make him some lunch and change his ice packs. He's already started doing some of the exercises the Dr. asked him to get started on, and being diligent about elevating. He even managed to get some sleep last night. Luckily we have a bed where the feet area goes up so he was able to keep it elevated all night. So all in all he's doing just fine.
While he was in surgery I managed to get almost all of my last-week-of-christmas chores done - extra stocking stuffers, some food items...ran out of time to go to the liquor store but I'll fit that in sometime.

Good afternoon. It got cold and windy here yesterday and the cold has lingered. At least the 3+ inches of rain we got wasn't snow. I really would prefer not to have a white Christmas.

Laundry is done and I managed to spill detergent on me. Since I don't have a washer and dryer yet I was stuck in the Laundromat sneezing. Yet another thing I am allergic too is the scent of the detergents. I still use them though because I like my clothes to smell nice.

Anthony took the news about his knee fairly well. He just insisted they get a second opinion as he doesn't think its that bad, Honestly I was shocked myself. He is walking without a limp and not showing any visible pain. I know from past experience MRI's aren't always right. My daughter is going to try and talk to one of the surgeons where she works once everything is posted to his patient portal. Of course in our universe with the black cloud that emerges more often than not, it is on hold because she caught that nasty virus that's going around. I worry with her getting sick because her ITP kicks in. I was joking today as I passed a tree lot that our tradition when she was little was dinner, get the tree and take her to the ER. She always got really sick every year. Turns out she had chronic appendicitis and for some reason the holiday triggered it.

Not a whole lot going on around here although we did get some good news last night. I am a 2X great aunt to a beautiful little girl. And for the life of me I can only remember her middle name because it is the same middle name my Ella has. I doubt we will see her Christmas Eve and honestly I hope not. She is to new to be at a big family gathering.

Easyas, so glad surgery went well and your DH is home. Sending healing vibes his way!

Said prayers for Anthony, taz. I’m glad he’s getting a second opinion. I chuckled about your DD and the ER. Mine is like that, as well.

Footballmouse, I was thinking of that illness that you had a few weeks ago and how this w DD seemed similar. We had another rough night with bronchospasm again, and were both up till after 4am trying to deal with it. DS was texting from downstairs, “Give her a neb!” :lmao: (Ah, thanks, already did that!) She was a little better today but tried not to start coughing again tonight. Admittedly my BP was probably elevated from the constant coughing! 🫨😵‍💫

Mona while I was awake I spent about an hour looking at snow globe nativities, lol. It’s hard to find one with all the criteria, but it’s fun to look. There’s always some sort of fly in the ointment, it seems - not three wise men, but only two; has glitter; no animals; no handle, etc. We will eventually find just the right one. And probably at a discount after post-holiday!

Lynn, enjoy your hibernation. That sounds wonderful to me. Might do a little here myself.

Snowysmom, sorry to hear there was more water during the monsoon. Ugh. Glad you found someone to help, though. I hope it all works out. I really want you to like your new place.

I was a little annoyed that DH had to go to meetings at his main office today, as it added an extra two hours onto his day as it’s a really long ride, leaving him almost no time this evening to himself. Working Saturday extra last weekend and then that, is a little much on XMas week, I think. Traffic is awful. He’s exhausted and I worry about him. Going to make sure he gets some rest, too, this weekend. I was out running errands today but when I came home I could smell the haddock cooking on the grill from the driveway and it smelled so good. (Fortunately DD has no smell, lol, she hates fish.) We had that with brown rice and broccoli.

I managed to get two small trees up tonight and write out all my cards. Now we just have a few gifts to wrap and to put the stockings together and we’ll be done. Later we have to shop for what we have to make for XMas Eve at SILs (meatballs and cannolis) and XMas Day at home (I think we’re going to do the ham bean soup and smushed parmesean carrots as an appetizer). I might also make something for work, not sure what; probably something sweet. DD has to go in XMas Day even though she worked Thanksgiving, and she’s scheduled for NY Day too. 😬 Turned out DS is off on XMas Eve so he’ll get to come to family dinner and Yankee Swap. I think he volunteered to switch shifts w someone w young kids for XMas Day so they could have the morning off, so he’ll be home later (if he can get out, it’s been so nuts at the hospital). I’ll be seeing my family after the holiday as they want to stay healthy as SIL has an upcoming surgery and sister is going to see her new grandchild soon and is trying to avoid germs until then. So we’re planning a quiet Christmas day (and very happy about it! 🥰 ) By rotation, I’ll be working it next year so I might as well enjoy it this year.

I hope everyone has a good Wednesday! 🐥

PS I bought this for DS, thought it was so cute!
The propeller spins and somehow lights up with Christmas sayings!

1703055647608.jpeg

@Pea-n-Me So sorry your DD is still dealing with this illness. I hope she can find some relief from the coughing. I also hope your DH can get some rest and down time after being so busy. That kind of stress is not good. I like the Santa airplane you got for DS.

EasyAs Glad your DH did well with the surgery and is recovering at home.

Lynn Staying home and hibernating sounds like a good plan for you.

Good morning. Yesterday the foreman of the builder and the landscaping foreman came by to see what needs to be done. I saw them so went out to chat with them. I told them what the inspector said about the window wells and the landscaper was in total agreement. So, today they are coming by to do the window wells and the grading as well as straighten out the AC unit. I am sure to let them know how much I appreciate their help. I also had a therapy appt yesterday and it was a good one. I asked her to go in a different direction and talk about my anxiety and stress related to losing Chris and to life in general. She thought that was a good plan and we started right away. She understands that in the 2+ years since Chris passed I have not had alot of time to take care of myself or really think about what my life will be without Chris. Too much other stuff has been going on. So we talked about that and what to do now. I think we are on the right track with this. Talking with my PCP on Friday gave me the idea to change up how therapy goes. I truly need to figure out my life. And the condo needs to stop giving me anxiety.

QOTD: I love potato skins. I have always eaten them even as a kid.

QOTD: I am making sugar cookies as usual and blondies as well a chocolate cream pie for Kenny. I am also just buying some berries and throwing together a fruit salad. We are going to Jeff and Aimee's for a brunch on Christmas. I may ask Kenny if he wants to make something at his house for dinner that night as he has the kids. Maybe something easy like baked ziti or mac and cheese.

Off to work. Have a good day.

We are always on the hunt for something different. Do you mind sharing the recipe.
Very easy - take a brick of cream cheese out of the fridge to soften a little, and then spread it on a plate. Mix a can of tiny shrimp (drained) with some cocktail sauce, and pour/spread it on top. Serve with crackers. (My mom liked Triscuits with it, and my aunt Town House. - Both are good.)

Things have been nuts here, back and forth with Toys for Tots (we're shopping, we're not shopping, we're shopping again...) but we finally finished sorting last night at the Lodge, and the guys are in charge of pick-ups today.

I haven't gotten much of my own stuff done over the last few days, but I have an eye appointment today, so I'll squeeze in what I can and put the rest off until tomorrow.

Hugs, everone!

Good morning!🎄

Not too much going on. Left work and came home to doing dishes and meal prepping my breakfast for the rest of the week. Ate dinner and just watched TV. Tonight I'll really be moving and grooving, laundry and litter boxes are on the list 🐱. Evan asked me if I wanted to go to a Xmas light display with them tomorrow night which means I need to move my Thursday chores to tonight. Usually I do the litter boxes on garbage night but one night early won't make a difference for them. Usually when I work night shift for the weekend, I catch up on laundry or cleaning on Sunday but I keep forgetting that Sunday is Xmas Eve. Really hoping I can work from home on Friday so I can get my cleaning done.🤞

Snowysmom - sounds like you had a productive day yesterday with having a good therapy session and getting results from both of the foremen. Hopefully things will get fixed.👍

Pean-n-me - those night coughing attacks were some of the worse! I hope your DD starts to feel better. Room temperature water and hot tea w/honey is all I drank.☕

Have a great day! :wave:

Good morning. It was a balmy 21 degrees when I got up this morning. Thankfully the trash man took the last of the 'cleaning out' trash. I can go back to my normal 2 bags, or 3 at the most. It took 6 weeks of trash pick up to get rid of it all.
I'm heading out to the grocery store now, before the madhouse begins. Walmart, Aldi's, and I need to stop at Martins for a few things. Need the bank and a quick stop at Sheetz for 2 gift cards. One for the mail carrier, one for the paper carrier. I'll leave that one in a card in the newspaper box in the morning, since it's the last day of paper delivery for me. After 40 years of getting the local paper, another long tradition comes to an end. I haven't even looked at them. They sit on the table until I take a few down to the recycle box in the cellar.

@Snowysmom Things are finally getting fixed for you, I'm so glad
@easyas123 I hope your husband's recovery is going well
@Pea-n-Me I hope your daughters cough go's away soon

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone

1703079333623.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter