• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

The storm has ended. At about 5" of snow. Then it turned to dumping down freezing rain. Then went back to snow. Then it turned to rain, which was weird because the temp was 30. Now it's not doing anything. The outdoor cats all came out of hiding and all I hear are plows, snow blowers and shovels.

I cleared the back deck at least a dozen times. I cleared the steps, paths around the house, and top and bottom of the driveway at least 4x. The rest of the driveway is going to wait until tomorrow. I can't do anymore today.

The little boys next door came running over."Miss Lynn, Miss Lynn, we're making an igloo, do you want to help? I politely declined. I've had enough of the snow, sleet and the cold for today. They are just so cute.

I'm going to make a ham and pickle salad sandwich and some vegetable beef soup for dinner. I haven't eaten all day. Then I'm going to take a long hot shower, get into jammies, and not move again the rest of the night, lol

Have a nice evening.

Well, the weatherpeople have been saying we would be having a few snow showers with no accumulation. That’s what the online sites say also. So right now we have at least 3 inches and it’s still coming down. lol.
I know what some of you have talked about with winter blues. I have really been struggling. The let down after the holidays really is hard. I know I should take down my Christmas decor but I’m just not ready to, everything seems so empty after.
Have a nice, peaceful evening everyone.

Well, the weatherpeople have been saying we would be having a few snow showers with no accumulation. That’s what the online sites say also. So right now we have at least 3 inches and it’s still coming down. lol.
I know what some of you have talked about with winter blues. I have really been struggling. The let down after the holidays really is hard. I know I should take down my Christmas decor but I’m just not ready to, everything seems so empty after.
Have a nice, peaceful evening everyone.
Last year I left up a little sprig of lights above my living room blinds. I have a rather long and low to the floor window and it lets in lots of light. But when it's gloomy like today, the tiny lights are on for a bit. They go out by themselves.

The light string has minimal greenery attached, and is battery operated so when it's gloomy I often turn it on just for something 'not a lamp'. It helps me. My Xmas tree is lit at this moment and it's not going anywhere this weekend.

God Bless those little boys, Lynn, how precious. Thank you for the kindness you show them.

Bobbi, I went to Seattle once. I do remember going to a bigger Aquarium not sure what else, this was probably in 2007! Have a safe and fun trip!

Truly warm, cozy, and safe prayers for all with loving sweet dreams, always.

Dazed Please do what you feel right now. If it feels better to leave up the decorations a bit longer, fine. Whatever you feel is right for you. I hope the snow stops soon for you.

Lynn such a busy day cleaning up the snow. We have about 5 inches here right now with more coming during the day. Once it is light out I will shovel off my deck and shovel around the condo to the exhaust pipe. Then periodically shovel the same area during the day. Your young neighbors are so cute and sweet.

Bobbiwoz Chris and I walked around Seattle seaport area and went to the market for the one day we were there before our cruise. Our hotel was just across the street from the ship dock so it was easy to get to it the next day. I loved watching Mt. Ranier off in the distance as we sailed away from Seattle.

I just watched the forecast and a second round of snow will be coming in late morning until mid afternoon. Then the temps drop. We have another storm coming Wed and it will be wind driven rain. Just what I need. I am already worrying about that. I do have in my mind staying in this condo for a few years and then moving on. I just can't be worried every time it rains. It looks like the stop work order here may have been lifted as Friday and yesterday contractors were here working furiously in some of the condos that are under agreement. I just don't trust the builder to do the right thing. He has proven that in the past. The foreman has assured me he will make sure I don't have water in my basement but he is not the top boss. So tired of having to worry. I so need some peace and quiet to figure out where life is going. I really put alot of thought and research into buying this condo and still it was not a good decision. I used to make such good decisions. My kids even looked at it and were on board with my decision. My kids tell me it will be fine but I am not sure they are right.

Have a good Sunday. Anyone in the storm area stay safe.

Good foggy Sunday. I didn't think I'd wake up to fog. They say we might get some rain this afternoon. I need to finish clearing the snow before that happens. Now they say another round of snow on Tuesday, with 3-5", but it says we will be 47 degrees. How can we get snow if it's 47 degrees? That one has me a little confused, lol

I took a long hot bath last night and channel surfed for awhile. Finally settled on Godmothered on Disney+, it was cute. I went to bed at 11, but never fell asleep until after 3. Going to feed the cats, find something to defrost for dinner and get myself out there to finish clearing the snow while my back lets me.

Have a nice day

1704632264929.png

I know what some of you have talked about with winter blues. I have really been struggling.
MIL and I swear by these:
IMG_3232.jpeg
Link

We both have them hooked on a curtain rod and aimed at the white ceiling. It really makes it seem like more light is coming in the window on gloomy days.

My kids tell me it will be fine but I am not sure they are right.
They probably are. - I really do think you're just still overwhelmed right now. :hug: (And that's OK!)

Every house/condo/etc. has its own problems, and no place is perfect. What will change is how much bandwidth you have, and how big those things look/feel.

But you have a lot of other things draining your emotional attention right now, and there simply isn't room for more. - Things that look completely common and fixable when everything else is going right look huge and insurmountable when everything else feels wrong.

Snowysmom, don’t beat yourself up so much. No matter where you go, or what you do, it’s never perfect. (It won’t be without Chris, right?) Try to enjoy your beautiful new space and not worry so much about the rain. The repairs they made to the grading will hopefully work. When we built our in law apt we added a full cellar, since we knew we needed storage space. Where we are has a high water table and on our side of the house the lowest room doesn’t go as low as that does. Anyway we had to have a french drain put in which runs all the time, and we keep a dehumidifier going there all the time, too (no wonder our electric bill is so high). After we built it we had lots of water come in, we would’ve been happy with a few small puddles. I mean, we’re talking floods and feet of water just pouring in. Thankfully that’s shifted now but it’s still a PIA and at times I’ve regretted putting a cellar in. But what can you do. I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it. One of the things we need to do in getting a dumpster is to get rid of a lot of stuff that’s down there. I believe it’s pretty dry these days (and has been for a good 20 yrs), thankfully, but at the beginning I was like OMG!! 😱

I really feel like sometimes when we focus on things like that it’s because they’re easier to worry about than other things that we’re unconsciously shutting out [that are perhaps bigger and more critical to our well-being and psyche], as a way of self-protection. God knows I’ve had my share of that, as well. (Often why I can’t sleep; that’s when I do all my worrying.) It will all work out with the condo, somehow. Listen to and trust your boys, they love you and have your best interests at heart. They really are amazing kids and you are so fortunate to have them! Kenny really is a jack of all trades! And he will be there even if the gf has moved in.

Dazed, extra hugs. Lynn, too, and Bobbi and taz and anyone else going through a rough time. :hug:

These winter days can get long. Make sure you get plenty of light every day. Sit by the window if the sun is shining. I think @PollyannaMom has an artificial light she uses, which is great. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder - link.) That’s one good thing about having to take the dogs out, I love walking in the sun.

Sorry to hear people dealing with snow (when they don’t want to deal with it). It’s still just a little wet here, but no snow. We’re going to head out for breakfast shortly. I don’t know what we have in store for us later. DS had his second solo flight yesterday. I was a little nervous with the cold, but I guess it’s better to fly in the cold? Idk. He has to do a 50 mile trip solo after doing it with his instructor first (I think he’s going out your way Snowysmom) and has a few other small things to do but he has most of his flight hours in now and should be licensed by the FAA pretty soon. Pretty proud of him since he had this about turn, picked up where he left off, and got it all done in under a year. Paid himself out of pocket, too. Thank you for all of your prayers for him, he is on the path he wants to be on now. And he is seeing someone new, too. (Hasn’t shared a lot.)

Our sliders were pretty good last night. There was one spice I didn’t like too much, I think it was onion powder or something, but they were ok. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to burgers. I don’t like a lot of spice on them. (In fairness, it was what the recipe called for on IG, we used the Hawaiian rolls.) I never ate my salad as DH got some fries to go with them, but I’ll have that later today.

I bought a rotisserie chicken in Whole Foods several days ago and it was really good, we served it with some vegetables the other night and had some leftover. I might have to buy those more often. We have a Whole Foods in Boston called Ink Block. It’s where the Boston Herald newspaper used to be published, same building/area, which is how it got its name. (And boy has that area been built up!) I always found it fun to eat and shop there, but it’s changed now. We went just because we hadn’t been in a while. People are now furiously running around with big carts filling online orders and nearly knocking into you. I saw one pushy guy with a ponytail madly picking through the food at the food bar it almost made me lose my appetite. So that was a little disappointing. But still, I liked the chicken, lol. There’s one closer to us I may have to stop by more often. There’s no way I can do my regular shopping there, though.

(Not my pics - from opening - thought it’s something different and you guys might enjoy.)

1704632240060.jpeg

1704632964433.jpeg

1704632432238.jpeg

(My pics - tight squeeze now, so much has been built in the once run-down area)

1704632543663.jpeg

1704632628818.jpeg

1704633127871.jpeg

Wishing everyone a good Sunday. 🐥

MIL and I swear by these:
View attachment 823655
Link

We both have them hooked on a curtain rod and aimed at the white ceiling. It really makes it seem like more light is coming in the window on gloomy days.

They probably are. - I really do think you're just still overwhelmed right now. :hug: (And that's OK!)

Every house/condo/etc. has its own problems, and no place is perfect. What will change is how much bandwidth you have, and how big those things look/feel.

But you have a lot of other things draining your emotional attention right now, and there simply isn't room for more. - Things that look completely common and fixable when everything else is going right look huge and insurmountable when everything else feels wrong.
We were posting at the same time PollyannaMom!

Snowysmom, don’t beat yourself up so much. No matter where you go, or what you do, it’s never perfect. (It won’t be without Chris, right?) Try to enjoy your beautiful new space and not worry so much about the rain. The repairs they made to the grading will hopefully work. When we built our in law apt we added a full cellar, since we knew we needed storage space. Where we are has a high water table and on our side of the house the lowest room doesn’t go as low as that does. Anyway we had to have a french drain put in which runs all the time, and we keep a dehumidifier going there all the time, too (no wonder our electric bill is so high). After we built it we had lots of water come in, we would’ve been happy with a few small puddles. I mean, we’re talking floods and feet of water just pouring in. Thankfully that’s shifted now but it’s still a PIA and at times I’ve regretted putting a cellar in. But what can you do. I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it. One of the things we need to do in getting a dumpster is to get rid of a lot of stuff that’s down there. I believe it’s pretty dry these days (and has been for a good 20 yrs), thankfully, but at the beginning I was like OMG!! 😱

I really feel like sometimes when we focus on things like that it’s because they’re easier to worry about than other things that we’re unconsciously shutting out [that are perhaps bigger and more critical to our well-being and psyche], as a way of self-protection. God knows I’ve had my share of that, as well. (Often why I can’t sleep; that’s when I do all my worrying.) It will all work out with the condo, somehow. Listen to and trust your boys, they love you and have your best interests at heart. They really are amazing kids and you are so fortunate to have them! Kenny really is a jack of all trades! And he will be there even if the gf has moved in.

Dazed, extra hugs. Lynn, too, and Bobbi and taz and anyone else going through a rough time. :hug:

These winter days can get long. Make sure you get plenty of light every day. Sit by the window if the sun is shining. I think @PollyannaMom has an artificial light she uses, which is great. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder - link.) That’s one good thing about having to take the dogs out, I love walking in the sun.

Sorry to hear people dealing with snow (when they don’t want to deal with it). It’s still just a little wet here, but no snow. We’re going to head out for breakfast shortly. I don’t know what we have in store for us later. DS had his second solo flight yesterday. I was a little nervous with the cold, but I guess it’s better to fly in the cold? Idk. He has to do a 50 mile trip solo after doing it with his instructor first (I think he’s going out your way Snowysmom) and has a few other small things to do but he has most of his flight hours in now and should be licensed by the FAA pretty soon. Pretty proud of him since he had this about turn, picked up where he left off, and got it all done in under a year. Paid himself out of pocket, too. Thank you for all of your prayers for him, he is on the path he wants to be on now. And he is seeing someone new, too. (Hasn’t shared a lot.)

Our sliders were pretty good last night. There was one spice I didn’t like too much, I think it was onion powder or something, but they were ok. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to burgers. I don’t like a lot of spice on them. (In fairness, it was what the recipe called for on IG, we used the Hawaiian rolls.) I never ate my salad as DH got some fries to go with them, but I’ll have that later today.

I bought a rotisserie chicken in Whole Foods several days ago and it was really good, we served it with some vegetables the other night and had some leftover. I might have to buy those more often. We have a Whole Foods in Boston called Ink Block. It’s where the Boston Herald newspaper used to be published, same building/area, which is how it got its name. (And boy has that area been built up!) I always found it fun to eat and shop there, but it’s changed now. We went just because we hadn’t been in a while. People are now furiously running around with big carts filling online orders and nearly knocking into you. I saw one pushy guy with a ponytail madly picking through the food at the food bar it almost made me lose my appetite. So that was a little disappointing. But still, I liked the chicken, lol. There’s one closer to us I may have to stop by more often. There’s no way I can do my regular shopping there, though.

(Not my pics - from opening - thought it’s something different and you guys might enjoy.)

View attachment 823650

View attachment 823656

View attachment 823652

(My pics - tight squeeze now, so much has been built in the once run-down area)

View attachment 823653

View attachment 823654

View attachment 823657

Wishing everyone a good Sunday. 🐥

We get a variety of stuff delivered by aAmazon from Whole Foods. Not so much recently with our Hello Fresh, but still I'm finding 365 labels in my fridge from time to time.

When at Hilton Head I sometimes go around to the Whole Foods there. It's where the Piggly Wiggly used to be. I like the deli meal options which I take back to my room cold. This suits my diet better than take out food or most restaurants. I can get grilled rosemary chicken plate, for instance, and then add my own veggie choices. This plate is two to three meals for me as the meat portion is more than what I normally eat. It can become a hot dinner, than a lunch and then a sandwich if I pick up a bakery croissant.

In addition, a friend of DD's whose family has a company that prepare food for WF's sometimes surprises us with delivery. We have often received fedex next day air deliveries to try out foods they are testing for wholesale to WF. That's been fun in the past as it's different and a lot of food. Not so much recently as they are kind of set at the moment.

2 hours later, I've finally finished shoveling. The freezing rain put a crust on the snow that made it harder to lift. Then the sun came out, making the snow even heavier, but I made it through it all. My arms are sore, I could barely lift them to get my sweatshirt off, so I'm going to go jump in a hot shower before I can't move.
I was looking at the new roof, and watching the snow melt off in great big sheets and fall off the edge. The roof is almost all clear already thanks to the sun.

2 hours later, I've finally finished shoveling. The freezing rain put a crust on the snow that made it harder to lift. Then the sun came out, making the snow even heavier, but I made it through it all. My arms are sore, I could barely lift them to get my sweatshirt off, so I'm going to go jump in a hot shower before I can't move.
I was looking at the new roof, and watching the snow melt off in great big sheets and fall off the edge. The roof is almost all clear already thanks to the sun.
Glad to hear about the roof - take care of yourself the rest of the day!

Here's a spicey question - I needed cloves not too long ago and couldn't find them in Safeway, so forgot about them until recently when I needed them again. (First time I used the expired ones.) Back at Safeway, still missing from the regular McCormick's (6.99) shelf, but available in the McCormick Organics for 13.99. Pass. Walking around the store elsewhere I found 'Badia' brand (I think that's what it's called.) $2.99! Took them home and used them. Didn't note any difference but I also used expired one and didn't note any problems.

Looking at Pennzy's website I see them inline pretty much with Safeway prices for McCormick.

Has anyone else used the Badia brand?

I think I'll probably take a journey to Rockville to their store next time I visit son over near there.

Lately I've been doing 2 things, buying Aldi spices (limited variety) and huge things from Costco that I can't use up. My spice drawer choices are dwindling because I toss expired ones fairly quickly, and I dislike having to make a store run for a spice each time I need a teaspoon of something.

The questions are, what spices do you keep on hand, what brands do you use, and do you find yourself tossing a lot because you can't use them up quickly enough?

Spice question
I replace all of my spices once a year. Some I use a lot more like garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, steak seasoning, paprika, oregano and basil. Other's like thyme, cayenne, dry mustard, or specialty spices get used less. I have a bunch I got from My Spice Sage, like jamaican jerk, arabic, wonderful world, etc that I use sparingly. I use a lot of Bells seasoning.

The questions are, what spices do you keep on hand,
Probably too many! But I think the ones I use most are pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and various salt-free mixes (Italian, table blend, etc.)
ETA - Oh, and chives - forgot that one because I keep it in the fridge.
what brands do you use,
Not picky
and do you find yourself tossing a lot because you can't use them up quickly enough?
No. I just use the less-frequently-needed ones anyway, even when they get a little weak. I really should clean them out more often.

Good afternoon everyone! It's a balmy 55 degrees here with a light wind. Perfect winter day. There's a chance of rain tomorrow then sunny weather until Friday where a front will blow through with a chance of rain. Then temps are expected to drop into the 30's during the day and 20's at night into next week. I've heard that the latter half of January will be below normal cold but dry.

My SIL is doing better and I finally found out what happened completely that had him go to the hospital. He self-medicated with something to try and help him sleep. He has degenerative disc disease and has trouble sleeping from the pain. He over medicated but seems ok now.
I'm glad that he is doing better. My mom had degenerative disc disease in her neck. She took Cymbalta for it, did wonders for her neck pain. I've got the beginning stages of it in my neck too but pain is minimal for me at the moment and easily taken care of.
Seriously, the grocery stores get wiped out if they predict more than 2-3" of snow. 100% truth
That's the way it gets down here too. Texans go nuts when there is even a dusting of snow on the ground. And the majority of us can't drive in snow or ice, we get a lot of ice around here, more ice than snow. I don't even try to drive in it.
So they just roam and procreate. How many are we going to end up with around here?
We go through cycles here. Some years there are rabbits (wild) all over the place and then others we rarely see any.
TRAILS END BREAD PUDDING
Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to give it a try. I do have one question though. The icing or whatever you call it, do you put it on the pudding before or after you bake it?
Usually they bring my Amazon packages up to my porch.
Amazon and other carriers put packages on our front porch for the most part. We have had a mailman leave a larger package beside our mailbox a time or two at the street and once a another driver, can't remember which carrier, walked all the way up to our house and left the package on the sidewalk up near the front porch. Just a couple more feet and he could have set it on the porch.
Thinking about visiting Olympic NP after RCCL Alaska cruise out of Seattle in August. Mt Rainier NP before the cruise. Any suggestions about the area around Seattle?
I went on a mother/son trip to Seattle about seven years ago. We really liked the Chihully Glass Museum and the Market. We stayed inside Seattle, didn't scurry outside the city since we were only there for a couple of days.
The questions are, what spices do you keep on hand, what brands do you use, and do you find yourself tossing a lot because you can't use them up quickly enough?
Onion powder, garlic salt and garlic powder are my mainstays. I'm a salt and pepper person so I'm not fond of a lot of seasonings. Neither Joe or I am a big fan of garlic, we don't use a lot of it, just a small sprinkle and I always decrease the amount of garlic any recipe I make calls for. A liberally dosed meal with garlic actually makes me fill ill. Joe has seasonings for different meats that he grills. We also have lemon/pepper, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, etc. for those special dishes that we eat. I'm just really careful when it comes to what spices and how much I use. As far as brands, Kroger and McCormick are my go to brands because they are usually the cheapest. I've seen on Instagram that you can get some spices a lot cheaper in the Latin food section of the grocery store. I've been known to find spices in my cabinet that are years past their "best by" date.

Carol picks up Lil Joe and Lou Lou later today at the airport. Can't wait to hear that they are back in town and hear their voices.

James and Chelsea flew to Montana last week. I'm glad that he is able to fly in the States now. We've been keeping Mack and he has been a real hoot this weekend. We've enjoyed keeping him.

I've been working on our tax stuff the last couple of days. Getting the sales tax information ready for our accountant. Then I need to start on the payroll tax and income tax for the company. Our accountant does most of it but I have a few things that they don't have access to. I hope to get it all done and out of the way this week.

@Kirby Good to hear from you. I hope you hear from Lil Joe and Lou Lou soon.

The snow is still flying but may be starting to settle down. We probably got about 8 inches of snow with maybe one more inch expected. I made one more trip out to look at the exhaust pipe. I just trudged through the snow. I brushed it off but it is not at all near the snow level as the wind has moved the snow around.

For spices I keep salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cinnamon, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and pepper flakes. I love cinnamon in oatmeal along with walnuts or almonds and a touch of maple syrup. I use the cayenne pepper and pepper flakes in my pasta fagioli soup. Just a touch adds a bit of spice. I try to keep the spices current but the ones I don't use alot are old. I keep the cinnamon current as a like the flavor to be strong. I usually buy McCormick and occasionally Trader Joe's brands. I have bought some other brands and all have been fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter