Query regarding spa raffle prize

ButterbearUK

Mouseketeer
Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else:

On embarkation day I was lucky enough to get my name drawn in the spa raffle. Yay! Unfortunately it was not for one of the many spa vouchers :( The prize was from Diamonds International, and was handed over as “a free piece of jewellery” but when I opened the bag later on it was actually a VIP voucher which gives an undisclosed discount (I think around 10-15% based on the conversations I had with the shop lady, seems to depend what you are buying) and a second voucher for $250 off a purchase of $2250 or more in the diamonds shop onboard.

I went and asked about the “free piece of jewellery” at the shop and the lady there was very nice but was not able to do anything aside from offer me money off an expensive purchase. When I described to her that it was disappointing to be given a bag and told it was an item of jewellery only to discover that it was actually a money off coupon that I couldn’t actually use (I don’t have a spare minimum $300 to buy a pendant at a discount) she did dig around and find me a freebie Swarovski necklace which is usually given away with a $500 purchase, or for free with no purchase at Disney Springs when they have an event on.

I was a little disappointed to be honest. I wouldn’t have minded if the prize had been announced as a money off voucher. I’d have known straight away that I couldn’t use that. Or if the bag had just had the Swarovski pendant in it. It was the fact that a big thing was made about it being for a free piece of jewellery and then that clearly wasn’t actually true and it was rather embarrassing for both me and the lady in the shop when I visited her later in the cruise.

I asked at the spa counter and they couldn’t help me as it wasn’t their prize. All the other vouchers handed out were for a minimum of $50 off a spa treatment and they were fairly flexible on what people used those for but there was nothing they could do with mine.

I was feeling too deflated to bother going to talk to Guest Services about it. I just binned it and got on with my holiday. I just wondered whether this is normal. I mean do they always give away a worthless jewellery voucher in the spa raffle? Seems a bit tacky to me.

I'm sorry that happened. I would certain inform the spa because they should be aware that they are listing a prize that isn't what they state. Not their fault and I wouldn't necessarily expect them to "make good" -- but they should want to know so they can avoid announcing it in that manner in the future. When I've been involved with various local events that solicited prizes from local businesses to raffle off, we would have been very upset if we were told the prize was A but the winner ended up with B. Unfortunately you didn't really "win" but at least you are no worse off than if your name hadn't been picked.

On embarkation day I was lucky enough to get my name drawn in the spa raffle. Yay! Unfortunately it was not for one of the many spa vouchers :( The prize was from Diamonds International, and was handed over as “a free piece of jewellery” but when I opened the bag later on it was actually a VIP voucher which gives an undisclosed discount (I think around 10-15% based on the conversations I had with the shop lady, seems to depend what you are buying) and a second voucher for $250 off a purchase of $2250 or more in the diamonds shop onboard.

I went and asked about the “free piece of jewellery” at the shop and the lady there was very nice but was not able to do anything aside from offer me money off an expensive purchase. When I described to her that it was disappointing to be given a bag and told it was an item of jewellery only to discover that it was actually a money off coupon that I couldn’t actually use (I don’t have a spare minimum $300 to buy a pendant at a discount) she did dig around and find me a freebie Swarovski necklace which is usually given away with a $500 purchase, or for free with no purchase at Disney Springs when they have an event on.

I was a little disappointed to be honest. I wouldn’t have minded if the prize had been announced as a money off voucher. I’d have known straight away that I couldn’t use that. Or if the bag had just had the Swarovski pendant in it. It was the fact that a big thing was made about it being for a free piece of jewellery and then that clearly wasn’t actually true and it was rather embarrassing for both me and the lady in the shop when I visited her later in the cruise.

I asked at the spa counter and they couldn’t help me as it wasn’t their prize. All the other vouchers handed out were for a minimum of $50 off a spa treatment and they were fairly flexible on what people used those for but there was nothing they could do with mine.

I was feeling too deflated to bother going to talk to Guest Services about it. I just binned it and got on with my holiday. I just wondered whether this is normal. I mean do they always give away a worthless jewellery voucher in the spa raffle? Seems a bit tacky to me.
if it makes you feel any better, the 50 dollar spa voucher is also only valid on the signature treatments which are all 250usd and up

You do know that the Spa/Diamonds international are third party and not owned/operated by disney right?

Could always reach out to Diamonds international to give them the feedback.

This reminds me of when DCL got rid of Park West who sold the artwork on board. What a scam that was. Diamonds International is just as bad as well as Senses Spa in my opinion. I believe Senses Spa is run by an outside company also.

This reminds me of when DCL got rid of Park West who sold the artwork on board. What a scam that was. Diamonds International is just as bad as well as Senses Spa in my opinion. I believe Senses Spa is run by an outside company also.
Yeah OneWorld or something is the name

When I went for my spa treatment on the Wish last month, there were not one but two different people who came up to the counter with a spa prize to redeem, only to be disappointed because the only times the spa receptionist could offer them were the middle of the day on Castaway Cay. Made me glad I did not waste an hour of precious cruise time going to the raffle. Sorry you likewise had a disappointment, but I think that's one of the good things about these boards: we can spread the word so other people know what to expect.

When I went for my spa treatment on the Wish last month, there were not one but two different people who came up to the counter with a spa prize to redeem, only to be disappointed because the only times the spa receptionist could offer them were the middle of the day on Castaway Cay. Made me glad I did not waste an hour of precious cruise time going to the raffle. Sorry you likewise had a disappointment, but I think that's one of the good things about these boards: we can spread the word so other people know what to expect.
I'll be honest, I went to one raffle one time and determined it was a waste. Even more so now if there is a minimum purchase required.

When we went on the Magic this August my spouse got a card in the room for a pretty decent discount since we were sailing for his birthday. We didn't end up using it, I think it was 35 - 45% off though on port days for a regularly priced service.

"Prize"
R.b2e07f5b39e836c9d713f6d05b5ed3c6

I won one of the free pieces of fine jewelry from a diamonds international giveaway and it was junk and not anything “fine” about it. You didn’t miss much by not getting it, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter