Quest for the west thoughts and disappointments

I know this thread has changed from only mentioning Quest for the West, so I thought I would respond. For the life of me I cannot understand how ABD thinks that they can start cutting corners on these trips. We went to Southwest Splendors in 2007 and had a fabulous trip. The guides, experiences, food, etc were all very well done. We went on the Northern CA trip this summer and it was just okay. We were very disappointed, and I posted reasons on another thread. The locations were all good, and Yosemite is truly magical but our overall experience was not enhanced by being with ABD. We could have easily been touring on our own, and probably had better information! Part of the attraction of Disney is the idea that you do not need to research the areas you are going to see since we will gain that information on the trips from our guides and from local people. We had to do our own legwork to make sure we hit the highlights of each area. I think that some of you have the right thought that Disney may not be holding their own, and more experienced tour companies are the way to go. So sad to say that, since I really am a Disney fanatic, but if they are going to charge the prices, we need them to live up to our expectations of the Disney name.

Hi guys -
I have never done an ABD trip, but I just wanted to jump in and clarify something. I live up in this area, so I am familiar with the history and traditions of these Park lodges.
The National Park lodges in Yellowstone and Glacier (included on one of the other ABD trips, I cannot remember which) are sometimes more than 100 years old, and have been preserved to retain the original character they were built with. This means no AC, and in many cases, no TV, phones, or even private bathrooms. It is all part of the rustic, historical atmosphere that they are trying to maintain.
Disney should absolutely advertise this when they make out the itineraries. People need to know what to expect. I have been in many of the lodges, and while I think they are beautiful, fantastic, and must be seen, I have never actually stayed in one of them. *Too* rustic for me, thanks, I am spoiled. :flower3:

ZOOZIG is 100% correct. I too am a Disney fanatic and I do hold them to a very high standard (which I believe they have earned), however the ABD trips are getting dumbed down. The last one we were on in Vienna/Prague although we had a good time, it was evident that the corner cutting was there. Meals/hotels were not as good as expected and a lot of the sightseeing in Vienna we either did on our own (ie. Lippizaner stallions {and THAT was a Disney movie}) or we had to walk early in the AM to various sites. We were glad we arrived a couple of days early because Vienna had so much more to enjoy than the tour provided.
I noticed on the Knights & Lights not only is dinner at the Eiffel Tower replaced with lunch, but the Regents barge ride is gone, tea is at Harrods which IS an upgrade, and the box lunch on the Eurostar leaves me cold! However - the price has INCREASED and is now in the $4000 range for adults! C';mon on DISNEY I LOVED ABD lets get back on track so I will go again!

OK now I'm worried too. We leave on our Quest on Sunday. It is the same cost as if the four of us were taking a weeks Disney Cruise (Which we have done several times and loved) We are used to that level of service from Disney. We are DVC members too so stay in great resorts when we travel to WDW.

UGH...best not to pass these comments on to the rest of the family so they can form their own opinions.

I appreciate your honesty and hope this isn't the worst 10K we've ever spent....

TK

Please do not be worried - Honestly you will have a great time and the location and most of the lunches etc are awesome, as was our group. We still had the most wonderful vacation and as an overall experience - Disney does create "lifetime memories" and as a first timer at ABD I still believe you will be blown away - as was everyone in our group.
I just reiterate that for those of us who expect that little bit of "pixie dust" extra that we got in previous years, some of that lustre was lacking.
I don't want to drop anyone in it but we spoke in general to some of the hoteliers on the way and disney tried to negotiate rates lower for this year - our prices didn't change? So why...its difficult to know their logic in this current climate.
After our trip we went on a cruise our 3rd consequitive RCL in an owners suite - this year for the 1st time they are falling over themselves to give the exec suite passengers new perks - why because they know to get one of 30 rooms we have to book a year out and don't get any discount. We were bowled over by the extra and perceived added value in this current climate - maybe disney should be thinking along those lines?

In response to someone elses post we were prepared to go rustic in the parks, we live in the caribbean and do NOT have A/C but it is all about perception - the perception was that we were not getting the best or any where near it.
I come back to the point that probably after Costa Rica we were spoilt and unfortuately "expectation" is a big thing. I know the people travelling will have a blast and come back and wonder what all the worry is about!!! But I am afraid in my line of work the little things matter so when I am spending my hard earned money it matters then too!!
Enjoy your trip - trust me there are too many memorable moments to start listing them and hey if you go expecting breakfast in a function room you won't be dissappointed will you!!
Have a good time

I hate that others have also had a disapppointing experience this year, but I am also glad to know it wasn't just me. I couldn't agree more with pipch, ppiew, and zoozig. We have decided to not gamble our vacation dollars next year, and hope that ABD will get their act together for the 2011 season.

I hate that others have also had a disapppointing experience this year, but I am also glad to know it wasn't just me. I couldn't agree more with pipch, ppiew, and zoozig. We have decided to not gamble our vacation dollars next year, and hope that ABD will get their act together for the 2011 season.

I know we have not gone on our trip and I don't want it to sound premature but we may be doing the Med cruise instead of SA Signature next year. Even on our worst day(which is rare) on a Disney Cruise it's always worth every penny! I can say that with absolute confidence!

But I Agree with everything kristilew as well as the others listed above have stated. As a newbie I am seeing to many eyebrow raises and lack of forthright info to make me want to direct my $$ in this direction for 2010. As stated 2011 may be a different story but the new ship will be out by then! Ho Hum :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter