• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about a picky 13 year old...

Mugsymugs

The 8th Dwarf
So I just cancelled my dxddp because I just can't bring myself to pay for my ds who isn't going like much of anything off the adult menu. I read on these boards that they can often make a kid's meal in anadult portion. My question is, when they do a modification like that, how much are you charged? Like will I be paying $50 for Mac and cheese at a signature restaurant?

Thanks!!

The rule of thumb in Disneyland is twice the portion for twice the cost but I'm not sure if that's as common at WDW.
Gosh I hope that's true - I just don't know what he will eat on the adult menus so I am hoping I can just pay more to order off the kid's menu.

you can always just order it that way, can't you? Say you'd like two orders of mac and cheese and ask them to put it on one plate.

Do you think they will let me even though he is 13? And I am a big fan of your trip review - both my kids have high functioning autism and sensory/food issues so I am pretty stressed about this trip - it's their first time on vacation.

you can always just order it that way, can't you? Say you'd like two orders of mac and cheese and ask them to put it on one plate.

That's an excellent an excellent point they don't police how many entrees or anything else you order so you can always just order two of the same - or even two different kid entrees - that your 13 year old would like.

Even at table service? That's awesome! Because I may just have to order a few kids meals to find one they will eat!

Do you think they will let me even though he is 13? And I am a big fan of your trip review - both my kids have high functioning autism and sensory/food issues so I am pretty stressed about this trip - it's their first time on vacation.
feel free to PM me if you think I can help with anything or just want some reassurance about your plans :)

Yes, MOST Disney restaurants will let both older kids and adults order off the kid's menu. At worst you will be told that you may have to pay a higher price (for a bigger portion) or that it doesn't come with drink and dessert (as kid menus are often loss leaders for the restaurant) but they won't deny the kid food to a 13 year old picky kid. They are not going to charge $50 for a double mac and cheese either at signatures. The signatures are all Disney owned so you can expect to have the most flexibility there. The only ones I've heard of minor issues at really is Via Napoli (but that is related to DDP, if you all share a pizza no biggie OOP) and T-rex and Rainforest cafe where adults where not permitted to order off of the kid menu. Disney recognizes that even big kids are still children, not mini adults and treats them that way.

Also even though they are a bit on the pricey side, I always did great with buffets on my trip in 2014. We only did one dinner buffet on this trip but in 2014 my son was able to get plain carved meat with no sauce, no grill marks and if there were heavy seasonings on the outside i could trim it away with a side of mac and cheese. He is MUCH more likely to try stuff on a buffet just because there is no problem at all if he doesn't like it... he hasn't just wasted a bunch of money on something he won't eat. At worst he can eat his fill of nuggets (he only likes the breast nuggets not the kid ones) and mac and cheese but he will try other things too.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

You should be able to order kids meals at most restaurants for your 13 yr old. I've done this a few times and never had any issues. Good luck!

So I just cancelled my dxddp because I just can't bring myself to pay for my ds who isn't going like much of anything off the adult menu. I read on these boards that they can often make a kid's meal in anadult portion. My question is, when they do a modification like that, how much are you charged? Like will I be paying $50 for Mac and cheese at a signature restaurant?

Thanks!!
are you doing buffets/character meals or all you can eat/like ohana be prepared to pay adult price for him

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter