Question about activating Annual Passes

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just back from a 5-day trip last week. We flew in Friday night and were due to be at AK by 7 am Sat morning for EMH. We were activating new AP’s and knew they could only be done at parks or Guest relations. Normally we do this at the back gate of Epcot as we usually stay at Boardwalk. However we were at Grand Floridian this trip and had a dinner reservation at Disney Springs Fri evening after checking in so decided to do at Guest Relations over there. What a mistake!

It took us 15 minutes in line just to get to the check-in podium at DS and then they told us we had to go to a separate Ticket office (but that they would go ahead and check us in there). Got over there and had to wait another 30 minutes before seeing a CM. We had to keep changing our ADR and didn’t sit down to dinner til 10:00 pm. There has got to be a better way! On top of all that I spoke with some friends who were down there the week before and they stayed at the Dolphin. They said the Disney office at the Dolphin activated their AP’s. What gives?! Anyone else been able to activate at resort? Or any other tips for future reference?

Just curious, thanks!

I did mine at the window at animal kingdom. They did it right were you purchase day tickets. It took maybe 3 minutes. I had purchased my AP from Sam’s so I had to show an ID to activate it.

The Disney Springs guest services gets really crowded. We also waited in line to get to the person with the iPad. Then, it was a 2-hour wait to see the CM to activate APs. Thankfully, they took our phone number and texted us. We then went to dinner. They texted us when we were basically done with dinner. Getting our AP cards printed took longer than what I expected. They originally printed them on regular tickets and had to go back and print them on the AP cards. Then, I had to purchase TiW and that took a while too. I would not recommend activating APs at DS. There *has* to be a better way!

The Disney Springs guest services gets really crowded. We also waited in line to get to the person with the iPad. Then, it was a 2-hour wait to see the CM to activate APs. Thankfully, they took our phone number and texted us. We then went to dinner. They texted us when we were basically done with dinner. Getting our AP cards printed took longer than what I expected. They originally printed them on regular tickets and had to go back and print them on the AP cards. Then, I had to purchase TiW and that took a while too. I would not recommend activating APs at DS. There *has* to be a better way!

Yes, it was a very un-Magical experience! They wouldn’t even let us leave. Had to wait there at the ticket place. Learned our lesson!

I am so glad to read this thread. Activating our AP at DS was my plan for our August trip. Sounds like I should reconsider that... and I will! I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but by sharing it you saved an unsuspecting victim. :) Thanks!

I activated mine at the Swan. Took 2 minutes. Totally worth it, and I’d make the trip over there just to do it again!

So pleased I came across this thread. I will be staying at the Dolphin. Will now plan to activate my pass there. Do you know if one can purchase TIW there as well? Also did you get your AP yellow card there or do you have to get that at Guest Services? Thanks!

It is ridiculous that simple things like that can't be done at your resort. Maybe years ago it made sense but you would think that Disney would have advanced by now. OTOH, this is Disney tech that we're talking about. :flower:

DS handles the ticket issues that regular guest services can't. Personal experience : I had to make a special trip to DS Guest Services with a complicated ticket issue that regular park GS couldn't handle. Took a couple hours of waiting- but also took a long time for them to fix . This may be the reason their lines are so much longer than park GS - more complicated issues. Usually upgrading to AP I do at any park GS window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter