Question about Big Thunder Mountain

>Ash<

The Lost Caballeros
Hey guys,

im a ride chicken, just wanted to ask about big thunder mountain,

are their any straight drops in the ride? on youtube it seems that all the drops are on a banked decline seems more to be scaling the mountain than an actual drop, is this the case or have i missed somthing?

really want to ride but im a bit... scared :wizard: thanks guys

While they are no real 'straight drops" there are a few that will lift u slightly out of your seat. My aunt is not a coaster person but she did do this one but had to cover her eyes a few times. lol.

i wouldn't say it's too scary actually. the thunder mountain is prob a good coaster for riders that are slightly scared of fast rides like yourself Ash. You'll love it! The climb is more intigrated into the mountain so you don't feel a sudden drop a get the sense you are at a great height.
Hope you enjoy! :goodvibes

I don't think of myself as a roller coaster person, but I love BTMRR. IMO it's a sweet little ride. Just enough thrills to be fun, but not scary. It's our traditional first stop after rope drop and we try to get 2 or 3 consecutive rides before a line forms. Great way to start a Disney day!

Thanks for the reassurance guys,

im defo gonna try this one this year, i can do space mountain, that didnt make me jump or anything so i think i should be okay if what you guys are saying is right lol :rolleyes: im just a wuss lol and the only reason i can do space mountain is because i couldnt see where the drops where lol

If you're okay on Space Mountain you should be fine. I think that Space Mt. is scarier because even though it's dark I can still see that I am up high on a metal track with nothing around me. At least with BTMRR you usually have a wall on one side or the other and you never really feel that you are up that high.

If you can ride Space mountain, you'll be fine on BTMR. I have a huge phobia of roller coasters and BTMR is the only one I can ride without having a panic attack. All the drops are either banked or built into the mountain. You'll come out of your seat a few times but it's a smooth ride.

I agree with others...if you can do Space Mountain, you will be fine on Big Thunder.....(I love BT, but don't go on SM)...have fun

I do not like roller coasters!!!! It's the dropping that bothers me. So splash mountain is a "no go" for me - and so is tower of terror! I did not hate BTMRR... I have also been on space mountain (it took a lot of arm twisting). I did not love it or hate it. You will like BTMRR....

My DW hates rollercoasters. But she loves loves loves BTMRR.

It is the only coaster that she rides, but she is very enthusiastic about it.

Why?
Its a smooth ride, no big drops, and is very well themed. But that doesn't mean that it is a mild ride.

I don't do big thrill rides...have never even tried Space Mountain, ToT, RnRC, EE, Dinosaur, etc. Never will.

But I do just fine on, and even like, both Splash Mountain and BTMRR. They have just the right amount of "thrill" for me.

I am a big chicken when it comes to coasters too and I love BTMRR. There really aren't any drops, more like bumps that you go up and down really fast over. It's a really fun ride. I scream like a little girl, but it's all part of the fun, you'll laugh the whole way. For someone who doesn't like thrill rides, it is the perfect ride. I plan to take my 5 year old daughter on it for the first time this year. There is no way I would take her on a ride that I thought would be too scary.

I love BTMRR and I am the biggest ride chicken ever!! I have been on Space Mountain and don't really care for it. I just went on BTMRR this week for the first and 2nd times :cool1:Loved it!!

BTMR is a coaster for people who don't really like rollercoasters, but want to ride one.

It's very wussy, as coasters go.

Agree that Thunder Mt. is pretty tame. If you're unsure, ask to sit towards the front. It takes a few seconds for the trains to really gain momentum on the turns and small hills, so the back cars get more of a wild ride. Sitting in the front is almost boring!

BTMRR scared the **** out of me when I was a kid and scared me away from rollercoasters since. Now, in my 30s, I appreciate it a lot. It's my favourite ride in the Kingdom and I hop on it as much as possible.

There are no straight drops (I HATE THOSE!!!) and the absolute best part is all the banking turns which are so much fun for me. Generally, the ride is not going at full speed for most of it. It's actually bursts of speed followed by slow treks up the lilfthills.

Ride it in the day and ride it at night. The nighttime gives the ride a certain feel that is sooo spectacular. It looks absolutely amazing!

Anyway, believe it or not, I had the guts to ride Space Mountain, for the first time, last year by myself and rather enjoy that one as well. It is a bit similar to BTMRR except that it's in pitch black and has a couple quick drops. I got off shaking but, decided to ride it twice more when I ventured back a few weeks later. Even got to riding Everest at AK.

So, give it a whirl, it's a whole lot of fun!
Jackie
:yay:

~I love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, there is no big drop like Splash Mountain. If you can ride a rough coaster like Space Mountain, you should be okay on BTMR. While we find BTMR to be super fun, it's pretty mild as far as coasters go! Have fun! :goodvibes

None of us are roller coaster riders and we all love Big Thunder.
(In fact my eldest, who is the most scared of thrill rides, went back over and over last time)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter