• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about cell phone charging

Diszona

DIS Veteran
So we usually bring a cell phone charger with us so we can charge our phones if needed in the parks (particularly on long days when the park is open until midnight). We usually do this at the charging stations by the bathrooms at the Hungry Bear Restaurant. Since it is going to be under renovations while we are there next week this isn't an option anymore. Does anyone know of another good spot where we take a rest and charge up our phones? Thanks in advance!

So we usually bring a cell phone charger with us so we can charge our phones if needed in the parks (particularly on long days when the park is open until midnight). We usually do this at the charging stations by the bathrooms at the Hungry Bear Restaurant. Since it is going to be under renovations while we are there next week this isn't an option anymore. Does anyone know of another good spot where we take a rest and charge up our phones? Thanks in advance!
There are charging lockers in the locker area. It's $2 for an hour. Carnation Cafe and Market House are nearby.

I have 3 portable battery packs.. I usually take one with me to the parks... sometimes too... they come in all shapes and sizes and price ranges ,, they are easy to use and great because they are portable... no standing round waiting... if you turn your smart phone to plain mode then it makes the battery last longer as its not roaming trying to update all your apps and times etc....

Link to Amazon for the best phone chargers
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1und6hil3b_b

I have 3 portable battery packs.. I usually take one with me to the parks... sometimes too... they come in all shapes and sizes and price ranges ,, they are easy to use and great because they are portable... no standing round waiting... if you turn your smart phone to plain mode then it makes the battery last longer as its not roaming trying to update all your apps and times etc....

I second this strategy vice a phone charger that would tie you to a wall socket. The one I have is bulkier than this particular one, but they are all small and barely more noticeable in your bag than a phone charger.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-pack-travel/

My DS and I each carry a portable charger that is about the size of a tube of lipstick. It's good for a couple of charges and definitely makes our phones last through the day. It's nice to plug in the phone and let it charge whenever and not be tied to an outlet for a period of time.

My portable charger is also the size of lipstick & it's disney, I love it! Charges really quick

Question
if you turn your smart phone to plain mode then it makes the battery last longer as its not roaming trying to update all your apps and times etc
How can you do this?

We also have lipstick looking chargers we have two one for me and one for my hubby. where is a disney one lol?

Question
if you turn your smart phone to plain mode then it makes the battery last longer as its not roaming trying to update all your apps and times etc
How can you do this?

We also have lipstick looking chargers we have two one for me and one for my hubby. where is a disney one lol?

Airplane mode disables a device’s cellular radio, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth — the wireless transmission functions.

Even if you never fly, airplane mode offers a quick way to disable your device’s battery-draining radios. It can extend your device’s battery life as long as you don’t need any of those wireless radios.

To turn to plain mode . .. go to settings
as with my IPOD it is the very first setting in the list right above WIFI ... click on it to turn it off.. when you want WIFI again just click on it to turn it on and it should start look for signals again and connect

Link to explain it better ..
http://www.howtogeek.com/194421/what-does-airplane-mode-do-and-is-it-really-necessary/

Thank you, last time I had airplane mode on accident I couldn't even make a call. I will have to check this out

I just bring my Mophie external charger, it charges a minimum of 2 full charges and is quick.

There are other outlets in the parks, but none that I can think of are at or near CS locations. I think the most commonly known one is at the entrance to the lockers on Main Street. I almost always see someone sitting on the floor there waiting for the phone to charge. So I agree that the best options are to get a portable battery charger, turn off your phone's wi-fi and bluetooth (I'd leave the cellular radio on so you can get and make calls) or rent one of the charging lockers. At least with the latter you aren't tied to the wall while you wait for the phone to finish recharging. I personally like the portable battery the best because then I have the phone with me and I don't have to go back to get it later.

What also drains battery is not exiting the camera app after you've taken a picture. So many people walk around with it still active.

About the camera app thing. I thought I exited once but i didn't found it on an hour later.

I love my little portable charger. I think I got it for $15 or $20. Works great. There are also quite a few places that have outlets at Disneyland. I like to sit at the exit of Buzz Lightyear, there is an outlet hidden in the bushes.
I think I came across a website that had them all listed but as PP have said.....a portable charger is so much more convenient.

Costco has a 2-pack of the lipstick sized chargers for about $30.

(I also have a very nice limefuel charger that is my emergency backup, much more capacity and has a strong flashlight built in. But it's pretty heavy and would be overkill for parks.)

I also use a portable charger, it works great and makes my phone last all day. I like to use the wait time app so I don't put my phone into airplane mode. :)

I also use a portable battery pack. I keep it in my bag and it is the size of a little pocketbook. The battery can charge my phone 3-4 times on a full charge or my ipad2 2-3 times. I found it on Groupon for $20. Might save you in the long run if those charging lockers cost $2/hr.

I also use a portable charger, it works great and makes my phone last all day. I like to use the wait time app so I don't put my phone into airplane mode. :)

I'm frequently checking the wait time app too, and also submitting my own wait times, so I stopped putting it into airplane mode. I'll sometimes turn off WiFi since there isn't an open network and my phone won't keep searching for one. With the portable charger I don't have to worry anymore about what my battery level is. Well worth the $15.

I bought a Mophie portable charger because my phone used to drain very quickly while at Disneyland. However, shortly after I bought the Mophie, I got a new phone (which is now older--Samsung Note II) and I stopped having problems with my phone draining. Maybe it was the newer phone; I know one of the reasons I liked it was the long battery life. I do turn off the Wifi since there isn't any in the parks anyway, but other than that, I use apps and do my usual stuff and my phone just keeps on going. I do like the idea of the portable charger much better than plugging in somewhere. Just as an FYI, the last time I tried charging my phone at a "free" outlet (on Main St in the Mr. Lincoln building) I got scolded by a CM. They want you to use the pay outlets, not the free ones. Go figure. :rolleyes1

Tips for keeping your phone last longer:

1. Close all apps. Typically there's an easily accessible way to see which are running and exit them.
2. Turn down the brightness of your screen - you should be able to set this in your phone's settings, or use the auto function if your phone has it (most do)
3. Run in power-saving mode. Most phones have this feature.
4. Run in airplane mode - downside is it stops all incoming and outgoing transmissions (calls, texts, data).
5. Stop leaving your phone plugged in over night.
6. Charge it only when it drops below 30% and remove the charger when it hits 90% (can vary some).
7. New battery can restore some life to older phones (if yours is accessible)

Finally, I also use portable chargers. However, I've found that following the above tips, I rarely need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter