• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about DVC?

tigger2222

Earning My Ears
We are just back from a stay at OKW, we took the tour and have decided to become DVC members at HHI, I'm really confused about the 11month window thing. We have to take vacation in July, DH company closes and EVERYONE goes in July. We were told that every February we would get new points if we bought now. How does this effect the 11month window? Can I book 11 months from the time I get points? Can I book 11months out as long as HHI is our home resort?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I've never owned a timeshare and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before we take this step.

Thanks
TIG:confused:

Don't feel dumb, DVC can be a very confusing thing to understand. However, once you understand it, it's pretty simple. If your home resort is HH, and you wish to make July ressies at HH, then you will be able to make them in August (11 months prior to your checkout date), using your next years points (the points that will be in effect during your stay).

The 11 month priority applies only to your home resort (where you own). You may reserve at other DVC resorts 7 months in advance.

This is the reason why we usually recommend buying where you intend to stay the most.

Enjoy!

You can book 11 months out at your home resort only. If you buy at Hilton Head you will be able to book 11 months ahead at Hilton Head. You'll only be able to book 7 months ahead at the other resorts. You can book 11 months ahead at any time of the year as long as you "will" have points in your account at the time of the vacation. These points can be from the current use year or can be banked from a previous year. In addition you can borrow points from your next use year.
Ask your guide whether your use year starts last February. For example I bought in October but since my use year was June I was given points as if my membership started the previous June.

If you plan to vacation at WDW most of the time, HH is probably not the best choice for a home resort.

If you plan to vacation most of the time at HH, then you made a good choice.

All resorts are avaiable. HH, VB and VWL through Disney and all the rest are very available through resale.

We plan on going to Hilton Head most, DH is a big time golfer and has been to HH several times. He really likes the quality of Disney and the fact that they are so customer service oriented. We have stayed at OKW, would this be an easy resort to book at the 7 month window?

TIG

I don't have any experience with getting reservations at OKW at the 7 month window, as it is my home resort and we book it at 11 months, but I believe others have not had much of a problem getting it at the 7 month window. With soon to be four DVC resorts at Disney, you should be able to get SOMETHING SOMEWHERE at the 7 month window. But of course, there is no guarantee.

tigger, if you plan on vacationing at HH in July then you will definitely need the 11 mo window. Summers are very busy for HH so I would also recommend that at the 11 mo window you call daily for each day in order to get that time if you need it. MS can link the reservations for you once you have all the days you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter