Question about eating/drinking in Cozumel

gometros

<font color=teal>WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector an
I know all about being careful about drinking the water in Mexico, but what else do we have to worry about? Ice in drinks? Salad (since I presume it's rinsed off)?

We'll most likely be eating lunch at Mr. Sanchos. Is there anything we should stay away from? I don't want our vacation ruined by Motezuma's revenge.

we went to Pancho's Backyard on our last Western cruise. While the food was great, I was not aware at the time that you can get sick from eating raw veggies...i ate lots of guacamole as well as salsa, and 2 days later came down with a bad stomach (i presume montezuma's Revenge)

So, I guess if you stay away from tap water, ice cubes, and any raw vegetables or fruit rinsed in water you should be ok...

We plan to just eat the food from the ship..since it's so hard to keep track of everything you and your kids eat. Afterall, we paid for the food on the ship so will either bring food w/ us or just plan our outings around our meals....Just bring our drinks or only buy the bottled water or canned soda. better safe than sorry....

Anyone know if it's okay to flush toilet paper at Mr. Sanchos. I know in some parts of Mexico it is against the law due to the poor plumbing system.

If you don't get out and enjoy the cuisine of Mexico, it's almost not fair to say you've been here!

Here in Cozumel we have a very strict restaurant association that inspects its member restaurants regularly. Almost every restaurant is a member, including the restaurant at Mr. Sancho's. Cozumel depends on its tourist industry. The last thing we want to do is make you sick. We're all counting on your return visits!

I don't mean to be rude, but it's not possible to get sick from guacamole you ate 2 days prior. Most of the illnesses our visitors take home with them is from a combination of too much alcohol, too much sun and too much spicy food. Please consume everything in moderation.

All restaurants in Cozumel serve purified water, purified ice and vegetables that have been soaked in a properly diluted iodine solution to eliminate any bacteria. You are probably safer with the vegetables here than in the U.S. where nothing but a quick rinse in tap water is used to prepare veggies.

I hope that helps to put your mind at ease. The food here is awesome!

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

Sally is correct...I came down with "the revenge" once, and believe me, it happens a lot faster than two day! It was when we were sailing on RCCL and took an excursion to Xcaret. The food was fine (I know because hubby and I ate the same thing), but he drank coffee and I drank something called rice water that tasted like coconut juice. I downed two large glasses...BAD idea! Xcaret is in Cancun, so I don't know if that makes a difference or if I was just unlucky. We ate lots of guac and salsa when we did the Disney jeep tour in Cozumel with no problems at all. If you're going to get sick, it will happen pretty fast. It's unlikely (we've been to Cozumel three times with no problem), but you can pack the immodium just in case.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Actually the food poisoning time frame can be anywhere from 2hrs to 72 hrs, sometimes even longer. It doesn't always happen right away as it depends on your body, kind of bacteria you ate, etc. I read this once in an article regarding food poisoning symptoms and I work in a hospital and was also told this by medical professionals......

We went to Mr. Sancho's last year, had a great time. Really looking forward to our next visit there.

We ate alot of food there a combination of everything. No problems at all. Sorry, I can't remember if I flushed the TP or not, too many beers in a bucket. Have a great time there and relax...eat, drink and be merry.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Let's be frank!!!!!!
Is it really Motezumes Revenge????? Did you ever think of your bodies as a volcano???? After 2 or 3 days of overloading it with things you don't normally eat, spicy, high in fat and sugar foods. The pressure will build up and it's going to blow. No matter how regular you think you are it's going to happen.

Ginger: LOL! love the "beer in a bucket". You sound like a hoot to hang out with!

also, about the volcano analogy---how right you are! Something many of us fail to consider. ;)

We just ate at Mr. Sanchos a couple of weeks ago and had the guacamole, chicken fajitas and chips and hot sauce. The food was great and we didn't have any problems or get sick in any way.

Too funny Ginger....you're right,,,too much of a good thing is not good...Moderation is the key!

Originally posted by "Ginger"
We went to Mr. Sancho's last year, had a great time. Really looking forward to our next visit there.

We ate alot of food there a combination of everything. No problems at all. Sorry, I can't remember if I flushed the TP or not, too many beers in a bucket. Have a great time there and relax...eat, drink and be merry.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Oh! Why can't you be going on the May 22nd 7-day? I'd love to share a bucket with you! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter