Question about Flights from ATL to Geneva Switzerland

Bibbobboo2u

Always planning something Disney!
I was hoping someone who has flown these routes could provide insight as to what might be the better option - fly from ATL-JFK-GVA, ATL-CDG-GVA, or ATL-AMS-GVA? There are a lot of options for our time frame, and they all fall within a reasonable price range of one another, but I wanted to try to find out if one of these options stands out as a better choice to those who have experience with any of these flights. Thanks so much for your help!

I personally try to avoid CDG at all costs. It's a horrid airport!! I haven't done this particular route, but going through CDG can take forever!

Personally, changing planes in Europe (AMS) rather than in the US (JFK) is usually preferable, because if you miss your connection for whatever reason, or a flight gets cancelled, at least you are in Europe, and your options for getting to Geneva are larger. (The train, for instance).

Sayhello

Just want to say that you have my sympathies! 😔
Living in NYC, close to several airports, I rarely travel anywhere that isn’t-on a non stop flight.

I was hoping someone who has flown these routes could provide insight as to what might be the better option - fly from ATL-JFK-GVA, ATL-CDG-GVA, or ATL-AMS-GVA? There are a lot of options for our time frame, and they all fall within a reasonable price range of one another, but I wanted to try to find out if one of these options stands out as a better choice to those who have experience with any of these flights. Thanks so much for your help!
I agree with @sayhello. While I haven’t flown this itinerary, I avoid CDG at all costs when making connections. If possible, I also avoid making connections through JFK whenever possible. In my experience, flights are always delayed and gates frequently change once you’re in the gate area. On the other hand, ATL is my connection airport of choice. As long as the connection time through Amsterdam works, I would book that. If there are codeshare flights on the itinerary, you would need to decide if you had a preference for a particular carrier.

Not a fan of CDG - but honestly changing planes in Europe or any major airport if often a nightmare.

This may not help you but...
One exception is Dublin with Aer Lingus. I don't really like Aer Lingus but if you get a flight from Boston (or NY) to any of their destinations in Europe and change in Dublin it's very seamless. There is a "special" line and checkpoint and your done. They transfer your bags to the next flight. Its the one thing they seem to do well - as long as you book it all together.

Also on the way back you go through US Customs in Dublin and that is a very nice IMO.
Of course you have to get from Atlanta to Boston, but this might be useful to others.

They are also very competitive with price IMO. but added fees, very bad food, bad attitudes of that staff, and charging for drinks does make it a less than optimal experience.
But its a short flight from Boston to Dublin so I can live with it, I also have to stop in Dublin for a few days to visit family so again I tolerate it.

I connected last summer through AMS to Norway and it was very smooth both ways. Should your incoming flight be delayed for any reason, the AMS immigration folks were expediting those folks with an hour or less to the front of the line so connections would not be missed.

Another thing to consider - if you connect through a US airport, on the way back home you will have to collect luggage and go through customs & immigration at the connecting airport between flights, and then drop your bags for the final flight leg so need to allow extra time for that. If you connect in Europe and you are on a single ticket all the way back to ATL, you can check your bags through to your final destination and will go through customs & immigration when you get to ATL.

I too would recommend connecting in AMS. We found it very easy to navigate in both directions, as opposed to CDG. And the issues with going through customs when connecting in the US are also a consideration - as above, I’d want to avoid that.

From U.S.A. travel via Amsterdam & Onwards
Why ? ...... Amsterdam arrivals departures are on ONE level But
there is a lot of walking ( You can ask for a lift on golf cart type transport )
or push a free shopping cart )

NOTE Switzerland does not use Euros
Plugs and Adaptors are the same as mainland Europe

Flagging to come back. Lived in Geneva for years but family in US and have done many options for flights. But about to take off of flight so need to remember to come back.

First, based on your options, I'm assuming you want to stick to SkyTeam? There is also a Swiss flight from JFK to Geneva, but I assume you're looking at the Delta one (it's relatively new and I've not taken it). There are very few direct flights from the US to Geneva - the two from JFK, UA from EWR, and UA from IAD. I've never traveled from ATL to GVA, but I've traveled from other US/Canadian cities.

I don't hate CDG as much as others on this thread. With the egates for passport control, it often is pretty quick (and I've seen AMS super backed up for passport control, so I don't feel that ether one has the consistent win there). Between the two (AMS and CDG), I generally go by which is cheaper/has better timing. Also, CDG used to have a gross lounge in the F pier (from which the Schengen flights leave) but now it is really nice.

Depending on your gate for the US flight (all Schengen flights leave from/return to the F pier), you can have an annoyingly long and convoluted walk (with or without a bus or train) in CDG. In AMS, it will just be long. CDG is well signed, but can be convoluted with random ups and downs (and trains or busses).

Agree that connecting in Europe avoids having to do US customs/immigration during your connection but you'll have to do your exit passport control during your Europe connection (though you won't have to pick up luggage).

Geneva can be really hit-or-miss on passport control for non-EU/non-Swiss passport holders. I've seen lines of an hour but also seen super short (i.e. as fast as you get can to the front) but generally middling. There are no e-gates for US passport holders (though things may have changed since I last flew in last October). Luggage generally takes forever, so skipping passport control (because you cleared elsewhere) can just mean a long wait at the luggage carousel.

In terms of the airlines themselves, I find them pretty similar though I sometimes base my choice on the aircraft itself (usually I'm in business class and the seats can be quite different).

I like at least 2 to 2.5-hour connections in those airports (though it depends on the direction I'm traveling).

AMS - we had an over one hour wait in Amsterdam to go through passport control, so I recommend a long layover.

I’d do NYC for sure.

NOTE Switzerland does not use Euros
Plugs and Adaptors are the same as mainland Europe
First is correct - Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc

Second is not correct - the EU uses a "type C" (two prongs) and the Swiss use a "type J" (three prongs). Many/some adaptors for EU will work in a Swiss outlet (just ignores the missing hole in the outlet) but many Swiss outlets are inset in this weird hexagonal shape and if the adaptor is at all bulky, it will not fit in.

Last edited:
First is correct - Switzerland uses the Swiss Franc

Second is not correct - the EU uses a "type C" (two prongs) and the Swiss use a "type J" (three prongs). Many/some adaptors for EU will work in a Swiss outlet (just ignores the missing hole in the outlet) but many Swiss outlets are inset in this weird hexagonal shape and if the adaptor is at all bulky, it will not fit in.

Sir Duff,
You are correct on no.2 ( sorry I was using my brother in laws adaptor at the time )

We in Ireland use a 3 pln like the U.K.

what might be the better option - fly from ATL-JFK-GVA, ATL-CDG-GVA, or ATL-AMS-GVA?
Sorry for the late reply. FWIW I'd go with ATL>AMS>GVA. Second place would be the connection through JFK. I avoid connections at CDG because I find the airport confusing and the signage/people unhelpful.

For the return to the US, try to get a flight that arrives in ATL over JFK. The customs/imigration setup at JFK requires such a long walk to finally get there. Plus re-checking your bags to your final destination and getting back into the terminal takes a lot of extra effort.

Sorry for the late reply. FWIW I'd go with ATL>AMS>GVA. Second place would be the connection through JFK. I avoid connections at CDG because I find the airport confusing and the signage/people unhelpful.

For the return to the US, try to get a flight that arrives in ATL over JFK. The customs/imigration setup at JFK requires such a long walk to finally get there. Plus re-checking your bags to your final destination and getting back into the terminal takes a lot of extra effort.
Thank you - that is what I was able to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter