Question about GayDay 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a reason why i cant be proud to be straight?

No one said that you cannot be proud to be heterosexual. People should be proud of who they are. Unfortunately, until recently gay people were told by the straight majority that they are sick, perverted, anti-American, subversive, diseased, dangerous people. Hence the need for special days where gay people can gather en masse without fear, network, and confront the self-loathing that some segments of society still try hard to instill in gay men and lesbians.

ericafny and LukeDC:

Thank you both, not only for your kind words, but for being willing and able to look past stereotypes and see people. We are lucky that there are people like you willing to speak out.

Cool straight people rock. :)

ericafny and LukeDC:

Thank you both, not only for your kind words, but for being willing and able to look past stereotypes and see people. We are lucky that there are people like you willing to speak out.

Yes they do, as do cool gay men like myself. ;)

My family has been a few times during Gay Days - it always coincides with when my kids get out of school. Personally, I like the smaller crowds - most schools aren't out yet at that point. :cool1:

Smaller crowds? personally I don't see smaller crowds. Most if not all of the school's in Indiana and Kentucky are out and I am pretty sure alot of the other states are at that point too. Not to mention how many people the gay day's festival events bring in. :crowded: :crowded:

Now back to the OP...Sorry your thread has turned into everything other than you intended. Hope you did get your question answered. Grab a box of pop corn now and enjoy the show...popcorn::

To everyone making this thread out to be something it is not...GET A LIFE ALREADY PLEASE. If your str8...good for you, if your gay...good for you. We are all Disney addicits...so good for us!

Look, I am a police officer and am used to dealing with all types of people. There are good and bad in all (I find a lot of bad on midnights). I tool my 4 year old daughter this year and we were at the Magic Kingdom on the Saturday. It was packed. This is what I noticed. The people involved in Gay Days were in red, which made them easy to point out. I was in line with my 4 year old for Peter Pan's Flight and I heard a lot of sexual chatter that was offensive to some people. My 4 year old didn't know what they were talking about, so I just ignored it. There were a lot of offensive "gay" people there that day. Those were the ones that were not there for the Disney experience. They were only there to make fools out of themselves. Others that were celebrating their day were there for the Disney experience and were celebrating there identity with their family and friends. I actually enjoyed taking pictures of same sex couple hugging or givng a peck. They were happy. I am sure there are waaaaaaaaaaay more offensive people at Disney World during that cheerleader event or grad nights. Less of those attendees even have an inkling of what the Disney experience is meant to be.

I usually don't post, but felt like putting my 2 scents in.

Joe

ericafny and LukeDC:

Thanks! ;)

I just don't understand threads like this? What does it matter if it is gay day or not. You are going during busy season. I imagine there will be a lot of things you will see you wont agree with.

Like people walking around cussing like a sailor or the girl next to you wearing next to nothing....

The world just needs to get over the gay day issues and worry about taking your kids when the cheerleaders are there.

Rather straight, gay, black, white, tan, cheerleader or punk band we are all here on earth and have to learn to live together.

Peace! :flower3:

I just don't understand threads like this? What does it matter if it is gay day or not. You are going during busy season. I imagine there will be a lot of things you will see you wont agree with.

I have been there during gayday and while me being there myself is a non-issue, I would probably not take my closed minded mother nor my children. Why? Not because there are gay people- who the heck cares if your gay, straight or otherwise.

Why wouldn't I bring them? Because when I have been there in the past (two years) during gaydays there were many EXTREME Pdas by the couples there for the event. So I wouldn't go- not because of gay people- my favorite cousin is gay and one of my best friends- but because I don't want to see anyone suck face and grope (to the point of standing in line with hands down pants)- gay, straight or otherwise.

maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that those who participate in gay pride day at WDW would rather not have to HAVE those types of gay pride events. I have a feeling when no one thinks twice about someone being gay and a gay person has all of the same rights, freedoms, etc. us lucky straight people have, there probably wouldn't be as many such events.

Baby Piglet, if this is your Mother's first trip to Disney World, I doubt she will be spending much time looking at the other guests. Take her to the Magic Kingdom and enjoy. The sights there are so spectacular, and the kids are so much fun to watch... the other adults are the last thing she will be looking at.
Pay no attention to the pot-stirring and soap boxes.... you asked a question without bias and deserve to be answered in the same way.

To the OP - I would suggest not telling your mom that it is Gay Day's. I went last year during this time with two friends who obviously knew it was and one of my friends kept pointing things out to me. Like if she was looking for gay people or something. I have no problem with it since my best friend is gay, including my DSIL and DH's nephew but she has no contact with gay people. Not that she doesn't want to but she just doesn't hang out with them like I do. The most touching and affection we saw was at PI, which I don't think your mother will be visiting any of the clubs:confused3 but we ended up meeting a fun group of gay guys and just danced and sang all night. At the end, I told my friend that she needs to be more open-minded and stop getting herself all worked up on being judgemental.

What's funny was the year before, DH and I took his sister and nephew who are gay and they didn't even notice anything.:rotfl: I told both of them it was Gay Days and they were like "It is?":lmao:

Regardless of one's personal feelings on the matter, Pete's article is informative for those who want to know what to expect. If what he describes doesn't bother you, no problem, have fun. If it does, you're now informed and will hopefully make the right decision for you.

When it comes to his personal opinions regarding the matter, he makes some valid points based on his experience in the parks. Playing the homophobe card everytime somebody disagrees doesn't do much for the discussion.

tampaguys said:
If someone can't bear to see two people of the same sex hold hands for the few days that they would DARE to do it in public, then please have the good sense to go on a different day.
Funny you should say that. Isn't that exactly what the OP was trying to do?

By the way, saying that the people who engage in the public displays described don't do so at any other time is ridiculous.

We all know there is prejudice and bigotry out there, but sensationalizing it does not help discussion.

For the OP, we have been at WDW during the event, and if you avoid the "park of the day", you will most likely not have any problems, and will also avoid the largest crowds.

I think that this has turned from a trip planning thread into a philosophical discussion, which I think is great. However, this forum is for planning trips.

I hope you will all decide to continue this discussion on the Community Board since I'm going to close this now.

Katholyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter