Question about getting off an airplane 40+ years ago.

disykat

This person totally gets me
Is it my imagination? I remember flying I was a child in the 70s, they would call the names of connecting flights that were leaving soon and those people would leave the plane first. Then they would allow everyone else to disembark. Did that really happen? It made so much sense. Would people even cooperate if they tried that now?

we had this happen within the last 8 or 10 years-we were on a flight that was running a bit late and as we were decending it was announced that everyone had to remain in their seats for an announcement. as we landed we heard an announcement apologizing for the late arrival but that staff had checked on all the connecting flights booked for passengers and as a result there was one flight delaying their take-off to allow for those of us who were booked on it to board. our family's last name and another couple of people's were called and told we were to disembark the plane first while everyone else remained in their seats. we might have heard a few grumbles but all the other passengers stayed seated and allowed those of us named to disembark.

Only ever heard it, like Barkley, where the flight was delayed and there are some people who could still make their flights if they were able to get off the plane very quickly (sometimes they are met in the jetway with an airline employee with a cart to drive them). I fly a lot and it's happened maybe 5 or so times in my life (including decades ago). Most people do seem to stay seated (though, of course, no idea if some of the people getting off are on the named flights).

I was on a flight 2-3 years ago where the flight attendant asked everyone to remain seated so those with tight connections could deplane first. She didn't specify which flights were involved. No one complained.

Last year I was on a flight that was held at the gate some 20 mins at the pilot's discretion so passengers from a late-arriving flight could join our flight. They had already missed their connecting flight and we were the last flight of the day headed to Phx, so the alternative would've been to strand a dozen passengers overnight.

I had a flight a few years back where they asked for everyone to stay seated as a family had a tight connection.. I also know the airline I work for, if seats are empty in First/business or further up front, they will move people up for the landing.

Last edited:
It wasn't 40 yrs ago, but have been on a few fligths where they announced that due to a weather delay we would be arriving late and they would appreciate if those NOT needing to make close connections remain seated to allow the others time to make their connections. As I recall, most people were courteous to those needing to make close connections. On some other flights they would announce the departure gate for those making various connections. They would read the flight # or city as I recall and indicate which was the departure gate. I think if you are arriving at one of the major hubs, they are probably more likely to do that since most everyone is making a connection to somewhere else.

I can't recall ever being on any flight where they read names of passengers with regard to connections, but each airline might have their own procedures, so it is certainly possible.

I never flew in a commercial plane till after deregulation was in place, and even then air travel was a rare occurrence. My flights were direct too, due to where I departed from, and I don’t believe were part of any hub and spoke type system. So I can’t say I remember such announcements being made way back when.

Earlier this year I was on a flight with a stop in another city. We departed late, and when we landed at the stop, they did ask that everyone stay seated and allow passengers with connecting flights to deplane first.

Sure, I’ve heard it, several times, and not just 40 years ago, but fairly recently. Not passenger’s names, but I’ve heard connecting cities and gate numbers announced. As far as I can tell, people not connecting are cooperative. I certainly don’t mind if I’m at my final destination, as it’s only a few minutes delay in deplaning, to make other people’s lives easier. Common courtesy, IMO.

I remember it happening occasionally and usually when the departure time was delayed enough that they couldn't make up time by putting they peddle to the metal. I don't remember them letting those affected get off first, but they did, also occasionally let passengers with connecting fights know that their plane was able to wait or to see the ticket people for help with rescheduling and again only if it was the same airline. They didn't name any of Delta flights if you were on an American Airline plane, for example. I think it was at the discretion of the pilot and usually only if there was a chance of making the connection. The last thing they needed would have been a bunch of angry passengers doing their Karen imitations while still on board. They had to get the plane ready for the next group.

Now it's nearly impossible. If you're in a window seat, you need to crawl over the other people in the row to get out. They'd have to get up anyway.

This happened in 2021. A bunch of 60-90 min layovers became 5-10 min. The flight attendants made an announcement and those from the first 10 rows or so got off if they had tight connections, then everyone else stood up. We were about 2/3 back, so I used my lawyer voice to tell the plane that about 20 people towards the back also had super tight connections and if they could please let us off. It worked. Our gate was right next to where we'd deplaned, but others had to run to another wing of the terminal. Lots of them thanked me.

I’ve made the announcement several times when we were delayed to please let those with tight connections deplane first. Some flights, passengers were courteous and allowed it. Other flights, free for all and people yelling that no one listened.

The difference? What base on the hub and spoke system we were flying into. Certain hubs, you know they’ll wait. Others, forget it! Crazy how different people and cities can be.

I've also experienced this a few years ago - as the flight was landing they announced that a few people on the plane were trying to make tight connections and asked people who weren't connecting or had time to let those who had tight connections off the plane first.

I was extremely grateful for this as I was almost right at the back of the plane and was trying to catch the last (transatlantic) flight to my destination that night! As it was even with getting off the plane fast and speed walking through the airport I only just made my flight. So those extra few minutes I gained through the other passengers letting me off first were really helpful!

we had this happen within the last 8 or 10 years-we were on a flight that was running a bit late and as we were decending it was announced that everyone had to remain in their seats for an announcement. as we landed we heard an announcement apologizing for the late arrival but that staff had checked on all the connecting flights booked for passengers and as a result there was one flight delaying their take-off to allow for those of us who were booked on it to board. our family's last name and another couple of people's were called and told we were to disembark the plane first while everyone else remained in their seats. we might have heard a few grumbles but all the other passengers stayed seated and allowed those of us named to disembark.
It still happens.

I was on a flight just last month that was delayed. As we were taxiing the flight attendant announced the gates of tight connections and asked everyone not connecting to remain seated.

Everyone seemed to comply.

Delta will also have a Porsche pickup frequent flyers with tight connections at the gate and drive them to the next gate.

I'm glad to hear it still happens. I haven't heard it done since then and I've had some pretty close calls, wishing they would.

To clarify, when I heard it as a child, they didn't call names of people, they called the names of the connecting flights (x airline flight xxx to x, leaving at gate x) like what people are saying still happens sometimes now.

It still happens occasionally. I’ve been on a couple of flights this year where the flight attendant has asked people to stay seated if the they didn’t have a tight connection. This was because original flight was delayed. If the flight leaves on time they don’t do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter