question about KTTK

firen'ice

I am Canadian, eh!
Has anyone done the KTTK tour in a wheelchair. My Mother in Law is almost able to walk but can't do stairs very well (very slowly) and ca't really walk long distances. We will be using a wheelchair from the resort for her during our trip. Can she even do this tour?

We did it last December when we were down there.
We called 2 days before the tour and were surprised that they had an opening. Told them that one of us was in a wc and they said no problem.
They adjusted the tour ever so slightly, like making us go a different route to see things so we could use an elevator instead of stairs. Other then that it was the same tour that everyone else gets.
As long as you let them know that there will be a wc in your party when you make ressies there will be no problem.

thanks, I guess I should make ressies then. We usually go on KTTK tour without making them.

DH did the tour in an ECV in January- he had had knee surgery a few months before and was having a bad day. He did leave the ECV for rides although all the rides that are on the tour are HCA.

We did KTTK last Sept with DH in a manual wheelchair. (brought from home) You should let them know ahead of time that your party will include some using a wc. Our guide, Rae - who must be the greatest KTTK guide in the universe - was wonderful, and we even talked to her afterwards about whether or not there had been any modifications to then tour on account of our chair.

She said that there were no significant differences, other than things like leading the group to use the cut-ins on the sidewalks, etc, on places like Main Street, instead of just having the group step off the curb. She took DH and I on the elevator when we visited the Utilidors, and at CHH.

There were only 8 of us on the tour, and everyone was very considerate, making sure DH was in the front at points where we "gathered" to listen to what Rae had to say about this or that. No changes in rides, since DH is mobile and could leave the chair behind.

We complimented Rae on how easily the wheelchair was accomodated during the tour, and how it really appeared to be a non-issue. She said that she appreciates knowing about wheelchairs ahead of time, because it enables her to envision her tour in advance and anticipate things like stairs, curbs, etc. She also seemed interested in our feedback, and said that they always like to know how well - or not - they're dealing with accessibility issues.

All in all - having spent two Disney vacations with the chair - we continue to be impressed with how well CMs throughout WDW appear to be trained in dealing with these things.

My only complaint continues to be DTD. None of the doors in the shops or restaurants at the Marketplace have automatic openings, which we found very surprising, considering how accessible everything else seems to be.

we had Rae too, and she is the best. made the whole thing more then worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter