Question about layovers in USA?

Aladora

DIS Veteran
Not sure if anyone knows the answer but other than calling and asking, you guys are my best source!

If we are flying from Canada to somewhere that allows Canadians (let’s just use Barbados as an example) but we have a connection in the States, is that allowed?

We are on Vancouver Island and it seems as though everywhere we could travel has a stop in the USA.

We are not actually planning a trip right now but we found out that DS’s new school has a winter break that goes from December 11 to January 5 so if we were to go anywhere then early December would be a good time to go.

I'm pretty sure that only the land borders are closed. It is how some people are going to Disney-by flying down, so a layover/connecting flight shouldn't be a problem.

Flying to the USA is open its just crossing the boarders via a car that is not open. You will be fine with a connection in the USA.

Would you eat meals and use washroom at their airport? It's not just about passing by.... you will most likely need to use their facility.

I think the issue here is that many countries are not allowing in Americans. They may allow Canadians in but Americans are banned from entering a lot of countries right now. So if you connect through the US - it's not clear whether you'll be allowed into Barbados as a Canadian or barred from entry because the flight came from the US.

I think the issue here is that many countries are not allowing in Americans. They may allow Canadians in but Americans are banned from entering a lot of countries right now. So if you connect through the US - it's not clear whether you'll be allowed into Barbados as a Canadian or barred from entry because the flight came from the US.
That was my first thought after reading your original message. To be safe, I would find a destination you can fly to directly from Canada, without having a US lay-over.

That was the situation I was worried about...not that we are in any way seriously planning a trip right now through! I think DH and I are just pre-planning an imagication right now. :rotfl:

That was my first thought after reading your original message. To be safe, I would find a destination you can fly to directly from Canada, without having a US lay-over.

Ugh, flying anywhere from Victoria without going through the USA is such a pain in the rear. There is almost nowhere we can go that is direct and if we go via TO then somewhere else directly from there, the cost is $$$. Economy for the dates I am imagining will be almost $4000K for the 3 of us and that is on Air Canada. We had to cancel our cruise in March and with that we cancelled flights on United so I have over $6600USD in United flight credits but of course just about every single United flight goes through the USA.

I have over $6600USD in United flight credits but of course just about every single United flight goes through the USA.
Just an idea and I have no idea if this would actually work for you or not... but United has code-share arrangements with Air Canada so many AC flights can actually be purchased as United flights. Might be an option to use your United credits for AC flights.... maybe....

Not sure if anyone knows the answer but other than calling and asking, you guys are my best source!

If we are flying from Canada to somewhere that allows Canadians (let’s just use Barbados as an example) but we have a connection in the States, is that allowed?

We are on Vancouver Island and it seems as though everywhere we could travel has a stop in the USA.

We are not actually planning a trip right now but we found out that DS’s new school has a winter break that goes from December 11 to January 5 so if we were to go anywhere then early December would be a good time to go.

I am finally living back in Victoria after 7 years in Ottawa. So happy to be home. I don't know the answer to your question though lol.

I am finally living back in Victoria after 7 years in Ottawa. So happy to be home. I don't know the answer to your question though lol.

I grew up in Ottawa until I was 20 and have been in Victoria for the past 28 years, I would never want to move back there for anything!

That is the problem. Canadian airlines are ridiculously expensive. You can fly for a fraction of what Canadian airlines cost on a US airline. I’m not sure you can get to a country welcoming Canadians on a US airline. But easy enough to phone United and ask.
We always fly Alaska to the US. Hub is in Seatac. So we take Horizon (Alaska) to Seatac then it’s a direct flight to MCO. Or I drive down to Seatac.
One thing to look into is that until Canada lifts the travel restrictions from non-essentials travel you may not be able to get travel medical that includes Covid.

The answer will depend on the rules imposed by in your ultimate destination. Since you have not decided where that will be yet, I don't think anyone will be able to give you an answer, though as a start you might be advised to check Canada's rules concerning people passing through the states on a layover from somewhere else, because those will be the controlling rules for your return trip.

FWIW, as an example, I know that NY State's rules on travel and quarantine -- though generally very severe -- do not apply to layovers, or even driving through and passing through prohibited states on your way to New York for less than 24 hours. But every jurisdiction can and will have its own rules, and just because NY state does it this way does not mean any other jurisdiction, including especially other countries, will do so this way.

That was the situation I was worried about...not that we are in any way seriously planning a trip right now through! I think DH and I are just pre-planning an imagication right now. :rotfl:

Ugh, flying anywhere from Victoria without going through the USA is such a pain in the rear. There is almost nowhere we can go that is direct and if we go via TO then somewhere else directly from there, the cost is $$$. Economy for the dates I am imagining will be almost $4000K for the 3 of us and that is on Air Canada. We had to cancel our cruise in March and with that we cancelled flights on United so I have over $6600USD in United flight credits but of course just about every single United flight goes through the USA.

I would just go out of Vancouver instead... way more options. Take the ferry or fly over to the mainland first.

I would just go out of Vancouver instead... way more options. Take the ferry or fly over to the mainland first.

That is what we have done in the past, we have even taken the Clipper to Seattle and also drove to Seattle and flew out of there. We've done the math and no matter which way we do it, it adds at least a few hundred dollars to the cost, more if we have to stay overnight in either SEA or YVR before an early morning flight. Typically the cost is about equal no matter which way we go so we usually chose to fly from YYJ but trying to avoid flying into the USA adds a whole new wrinkle to any plans. Ahh, the (literal!) price we pay for living in paradise. :)

That is the problem. Canadian airlines are ridiculously expensive. You can fly for a fraction of what Canadian airlines cost on a US airline. I’m not sure you can get to a country welcoming Canadians on a US airline. But easy enough to phone United and ask.
We always fly Alaska to the US. Hub is in Seatac. So we take Horizon (Alaska) to Seatac then it’s a direct flight to MCO. Or I drive down to Seatac.
One thing to look into is that until Canada lifts the travel restrictions from non-essentials travel you may not be able to get travel medical that includes Covid.
There is travel insurance that covers covid. We have a policy that does.

There is travel insurance that covers covid. We have a policy that does.
The one I saw has a very low $ coverage. How much does yours cover. With the cost of hospitalization in the US, if you had a serious illness or Covid that requires a long Hosptial stay the coverage I've seen is insufficient.
I‘ll never forget the lady who is in BC and went across the border For a day trip to do some shopping, got into a serious car accident, hospitalized quite Awhile before she could be moved. No insurance. The costs were astronomical.

The one I saw has a very low $ coverage. How much does yours cover. With the cost of hospitalization in the US, if you had a serious illness or Covid that requires a long Hosptial stay the coverage I've seen is insufficient.
I‘ll never forget the lady who is in BC and went across the border For a day trip to do some shopping, got into a serious car accident, hospitalized quite Awhile before she could be moved. No insurance. The costs were astronomical.
I had to use mine for probably about $2000, never checked the amount and it was paid. I’m not sure what the limit I’d for covid. But we aren't concerned as we don’t live our life in fear. Despite what you may hear, the odds of contacting this virus are very slim. The odds of needing hospitalized are extremely slim. I’m more concerned with an injury than Covid. I feel as safe or safer in Florida as I did in Ontario.

I had to use mine for probably about $2000, never checked the amount and it was paid. I’m not sure what the limit I’d for covid. But we aren't concerned as we don’t live our life in fear. Despite what you may hear, the odds of contacting this virus are very slim. The odds of needing hospitalized are extremely slim. I’m more concerned with an injury than Covid. I feel as safe or safer in Florida as I did in Ontario.
This is how we feel as well :) Our concerns lie more with things being cancelled on us last minute (like flights) which is why were waiting til next Fall to travel there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter