Question about linking 'Family and friends'.

sjw211

Mouseketeer
Is this the right forum? Apologies if not.
Me and my family (4 in total) are staying onsite and we all appear in my Disneyworld account. I don't remember ever adding them - I assume they were added as a part of the booking when I created the account and linked my booking?
I've made lots of ADRs and FP+ reservations for us all.
One day we're there we're meeting family who are staying offsite. We're having a meal together (we'll be on DDP) so I made a reservation for 8. The only way I could see to make the reservation for 8 was to add 4 guests to my 'profile' - and input their names and ages (one is under 13). That's all fine.
Now, however, they have created their own Disney account - 3 adults and 1 child. I've received an email/invitation from them to 'connect'. I obviously already have them in my profile - but they're not linked so the system doesn't know they're the same people. If I want to link them to my account, how do I do it? Do I just link one (or even accept the invitation) and they all appear? Otherwise I can't see how to do it - they wouldn't all have the same email address for example.
Second, and main, question... Once linked, what can they do/see? I have no problem with them seeing my itinerary and bookings etc. but I don't want to risk any possibility of them adding/removing any ADR/FP+ bookings accidentally!
Ideally, I'd like each of the people in my profile (and ADR) to be one of the people in the other party. I can't remove them and add them again now that they have an account because they have ADR's that I've booked.
Many thanks!

You will have to call the hotline for MDE and have the IT people remove the assigned guests on the reservation so that the ressie is just for 8 people (with no names). Then you need to delete the fake profiles you set up in your account for your friends. Then you need to connect to them by accepting their request to connect. Last you edit the reservation with no named guests and assign guests.

That is what IT told me to do ...

Thanks for that, I understand.
We're in UK though so I'm not sure it will be worth calling (USA only I assume?)?
If I accept the invitation I've been sent we'll be 'linked' - but the system won't know it's to the people we'll actually be dining with yes? That couldn't present a problem that I can think of?
Once linked, can they edit any of bookings?
If I was starting again, could I have booked for 8 - with 4 'unnamed' guests?

I actually called hotel reservations this week to try and add a couple of room preferences to our booking (after emailing Hotel reservations and being told it's not possible by email!) and we're told to ring again 7 days in advance.

I don't think the system will know they are the same people, and I don't think it matters. Since they aren't using the dining plan for the dinner, it really doesn't matter what names are on the reservation.

Within your MDE account, after they are linked, you can let them see all your plans or let them see only joint plans. Just set it so they can only see your joint plans and then they shouldn't be able to accidentally screw anything up on your separate plans.

MDE is wonky. I've been making all the reservations for my family of 3 and the friends we are travelling with, also a family of 3. Although I have all of them as family and friends, the only one I can actually link is the other family member who made their reservations. I can't link the other 2.

For dining it will let me click everyone and make a res for 6 but for fastpasses I have to make reservations for my family and the 1 friend who is linked and then log out, log back in as her and copy the fastpasses to the remaining 2 members of her family.

I haven't been able to figure out any other way to do it.

MDE is wonky. I've been making all the reservations for my family of 3 and the friends we are travelling with, also a family of 3. Although I have all of them as family and friends, the only one I can actually link is the other family member who made their reservations. I can't link the other 2.

For dining it will let me click everyone and make a res for 6 but for fastpasses I have to make reservations for my family and the 1 friend who is linked and then log out, log back in as her and copy the fastpasses to the remaining 2 members of her family.

I haven't been able to figure out any other way to do it.

The security settings for the 2 people you can't access needs to be set to allow you to plan and share with them.

You both need to go into the settings and chose add to my family list- this friend often travels with me and view all my activities (and share pictures if you want)

Accept their invite and connect them. It will merge their profiles into yours.
How will the system know they're the same people? Or will it just add another 4 people to my 'family and friends'?
In this system, is a 'plan' a single day?
I have no issue with them seeing everything we're doing and have booked - but I don't want them to be able to change anything at all. Is that how it will work?

So, I accepted the invite... The person who sent the invite now appears in my Friends and Family (F & F) list - but none of his party do. I can see his FP+s - but again, I can't see that there's 4 of them.
Equally, he can only see the me in his F & F - none of the others in my 'party'.
What do we need to change so I can see his actual party - and vice versa.
Separate question - today I have purchased the Memory Maker. Can anybody in my F & F get Memory Maker photographs - I don't need to 'do' anything do I?

So, I accepted the invite... The person who sent the invite now appears in my Friends and Family (F & F) list - but none of his party do. I can see his FP+s - but again, I can't see that there's 4 of them.
Equally, he can only see the me in his F & F - none of the others in my 'party'.
What do we need to change so I can see his actual party - and vice versa.
Separate question - today I have purchased the Memory Maker. Can anybody in my F & F get Memory Maker photographs - I don't need to 'do' anything do I?

You can't. You will only see the one person you linked with. Unless each separate person has their own profile. But it doesn't matter for ADRs.

What it does matter for is FP+ reservations. Say you're making a FP+ for the entire group of 8. You would schedule for the 4 of you in your party and for your friend that you are linked to. He then has to go and copy the FP+ reservation you made for him to the rest of his family in his profile.

You can send an invite for each individual on the account. You would add a new guest through a friend option.

You can send an invite for each individual on the account. You would add a new guest through a friend option.
...but they're 'just' named on his account - like the others on mine. There's no separate email etc. associated to them.
It seems strange to me that I can't see people listed in linked F & Fs. I'm even more amazed that I can't actually make FP+ reservations for them either. What's the point in allowing me to make a FP+ for just the lead, named person?

...but they're 'just' named on his account - like the others on mine. There's no separate email etc. associated to them.
It seems strange to me that I can't see people listed in linked F & Fs. I'm even more amazed that I can't actually make FP+ reservations for them either. What's the point in allowing me to make a FP+ for just the lead, named person?

It's the way it is. I can't explain why. LOL Who can when it comes to MDE, really. But at least you make it for him, so the time slot corresponds with yours, then he copies. Voila, you should all have FP+ for the same attraction with similar times, if not the exact same times.

I had this problem and called IT. I have my MDE and "manage" my husband. I was trying to plan for a family of 4 with only the mom having the MDE account and she "manages" the other 3 accounts. We added each other no problem. To link the other 3 to mine, I went in to my MDE and at the top under Add guests I pulled them up (I think by reservation number) and I had to add the three that she manages their acct, and she received a message in her MDE and approved me adding them (and sharing) They then all showed up in my family/friends. So now I have 2 profiles in my MDE for each of these 4 family members because like the OP I had made dining reservations for them prior to them getting set up in MDE under their own account. The only thing I have under the profiles I created for them is 3 dining joint reservations. So here's what IT told me to do: go into the profiles I had created for them and change the names to NOT-whatever (like Not Jane Doe) to avoid confusion. Then go into each of the dining reservations and "modify guests". You can then change the guests to the correct profiles. Refresh or log out and log back in and the Not Jane Doe profiles should now have no reservations tied to them and you can delete them! All you end up with is the fully integrated profiles on your MDE. I actually had to "modify guests" a couple times, but eventually go everything moved off those extra profiles and could delete them. PS-to OP, only the person managing the dining reservation can delete it! So the can see your reservations but can't mess with them. And I can make FP+ reservations for them.

Sooooo, I think I messed up my MDE account a bit. I wanted to test out this concept of adding FP+ for another party who is connected to my account. Well, I set up a new MDE account and used my wife's email address so we could have access to both accounts for the purpose of our FP+ experiment. My wife was listed as my friends and family in my original MDE account but once we made the new account with her email address and a fake name, she was removed from my MDE. I'm guessing that somehow or other, her email address was already associated with her profile in my MDE?? So, now we would rather get rid of that new MDE account for her but don't see that option anywhere. We have a large family trip planned in February so we just wanted the practice of making FP+ reservations for everyone. I have seen mention of contacting IT to make changes but I don't see any contact number. Does anyone have a good phone number for IT so we can try to get this mess fixed??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter