Question about making Chili

snapppyd

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!
Do you drain the beans or pour everything out of the can into the pot. I'm using Goya dark red chili beans.

Do you drain the beans or pour everything out of the can into the pot. I'm using Goya dark red chili beans.

For dishes I make I always rinse the beans... because that goopy stuff around the beans looks nasty to me and it drains out alot of the sodium which I'm not supposed to have much of.

I always drain and then rinse them thoroughly before adding them in. :thumbsup2

If I had a recipe that used "chili beans" I would not drain/rinse as I would assume that seasoning is part of the recipe. I use a recipe that just uses kidney beans and pinto beans, where I could cook them myself or use a can, since I use canned, I drain and rinse.

I drain most of the liquid out of the beans. I do not rinse them. They go straight from the can to the pot.

For dishes I make I always rinse the beans... because that goopy stuff around the beans looks nasty to me and it drains out alot of the sodium which I'm not supposed to have much of.

This. I've heard that draining and rinsing removes most of the sodium in canned veggies.

If I had a recipe that used "chili beans" I would not drain/rinse as I would assume that seasoning is part of the recipe. I use a recipe that just uses kidney beans and pinto beans, where I could cook them myself or use a can, since I use canned, I drain and rinse.

this is correct...IF the chili is too soupy after adding the beans and teh sausce in the can, adding some masa usually does the trick...of course I only use this when making a green chili's and chicken white chili...like my post above, regular chili I'm a purist.

Also, i had heard that rinsing the beans reduces the sodium content by about 50%

When I cook my own beans, it's best to rinse them before and after cooking because it reduces the "potency" o.k. tendency to back-fire, repeat, methane gas explosions, or whatever. :rotfl: So yes, when I use the canned variety they also get rinsed.

Drained and rinsed! Thank you, it's been awhile and I couldn't remember how I used to do it. :thumbsup2

Yes, I agree. I use chili beans in my chili so I do not drain. If for some reason, I am using kidney beans, I drain and rinse.

As I am eating a bowl of chili, I will tell you I always drain and rinse. The sodium content is lower, and I don't like my chili to be too liquidy.

I use 1 bottle of V-8 (the big one), 3 - 4 cans of beans (drained/rinsed), if I am using meat, I add that, and then lots of onions, peppers, jalapenos, garlic, and a ton of chili powder. Plus a liberal amount of adobo seasoning.

Cook all day, top with some ice cold sour cream and a few more fresh jalapeno slices.

Chili, to me, is about the beans. My absolute favorite part. I use black, chili, and dark red kidney. YUM!

this is correct...IF the chili is too soupy after adding the beans and teh sausce in the can, adding some masa usually does the trick...of course I only use this when making a green chili's and chicken white chili...like my post above, regular chili I'm a purist.

Chili without beans is tomato sauce with hamburger. :confused3

As I am eating a bowl of chili, I will tell you I always drain and rinse. The sodium content is lower, and I don't like my chili to be too liquidy.

I use 1 bottle of V-8 (the big one), 3 - 4 cans of beans (drained/rinsed), if I am using meat, I add that, and then lots of onions, peppers, jalapenos, garlic, and a ton of chili powder. Plus a liberal amount of adobo seasoning.

Cook all day, top with some ice cold sour cream and a few more fresh jalapeno slices.

Chili, to me, is about the beans. My absolute favorite part. I use black, chili, and dark red kidney. YUM!

Sounds pretty much like mine. We are having it over rice with shredded cheese on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter