• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about pace rules for 10k

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
Do they hold tight to the 16 min pace requirements for a 10k?
We are supposed to do the Dark Side 10k next month.
I've had a foot issue and it's slowing me down a bit. I'm not going to bother to get up and try if they hold tight to the 16 min pace, I'll never make it. 20 min will be more likely. I'd rather just not go than get swept off the course

Yes, 10Ks are very much enforced whereas the 5K is more lax. That's unfortunate to hear, I hope you can still do the race and finish but decide what is best for you.

I've heard that they do hold to the 16 minute per mile requirement for the 10k but that they don't sweep once people are at the Boardwalk area and in Epcot since you're not on the streets any longer? Also, the 16 minute per mile starts with the last person to cross the finish line so you may have some cushion if you're in an earlier corral.

Thanks. I am sure we'll be in the last corral, no prior race times to submit. I'll just have to keep pushing to see if I can get the time down. It will be a last minute decision

Even though they do keep to the 16 min pace it starts with the last runners so depending on your corral you may be OK. I just did the 10k princess weekend and due to sickness/injury took 2hrs to finish after starting in a middle corral. In the past Disney has had the last sweep spot at the 5k point but that could change.
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-feb-reason-dont-maintain-minute-pace-280969/
I think the logic behind that was the 2nd half of the course was inside the park which can be a difficult place to get a parade bus into. The new course for Dark side may change that policy if there are points past the 5k that they can get a parade bus to easily.
If you do decide to walk it make sure to get as far forward in your corral since you'll want to be in the first mini wave to have as much time as possible between you and the sweepers. Hope this helps!

That does help. Thanks. I did the 5k with DGD last year so we just walked that. We were in the last corral but got in the front. We didn't have any problems finishing it within time, still plenty of runners were still behind us too.

Oh, and in that question linked, they indicate you still get the medal if you get swept. Is that still the case? I was thinking you did not but I can't remember why I thought that.

Oh, and in that question linked, they indicate you still get the medal if you get swept. Is that still the case? I was thinking you did not but I can't remember why I thought that.
As far as I know that is still the case.

Yes, you still get your medal! If you think about it they already made it and I'm not sure what benefit it would be to them to hold onto a bunch of extra medals that have a specific date on them. :confused3 They even gave medals to all the people from the canceled half during marathon weekend so I don't see them changing that policy.

Like pp have said it's 16 from the last starter.... I adveraged a 16min 8 sec m/m for W&D at the 5 mile mark we were 2 min ahead of the balloon ladies and had started in the front of the last coral if that helps

If you have your bib number, that will give us an idea of where you will start.

Yes, they do hold pretty tight to the 16:00/mile pacing ... I haven't looked at the course, but if it's the traditional Epcot 10K course, there are only two "hard" sweep points - one around Mile 1.5 on World Drive and one at the 5K mark when you enter backstage of Epcot. There is also a "soft" sweep point when you enter the backstage area of Epcot around Mile 5. It's generally used for injuries, but they will also pick up runners that have fallen WAY behind (we're talking past time for water stations to close, character "cut" times, etc.).

To answer your follow-up question, yes - if you are asked to board a Parade Bus, you will be offered a medal. You'll be driven to a entrance in the Finish Zone (past the finish line) where they'll take down your bib number for the SAG list, and then you'll go through the area for snacks/water/bananas. This area is past the challenge area and photo area.

If you have your bib number, that will give us an idea of where you will start.

Yes, they do hold pretty tight to the 16:00/mile pacing ... I haven't looked at the course, but if it's the traditional Epcot 10K course, there are only two "hard" sweep points - one around Mile 1.5 on World Drive and one at the 5K mark when you enter backstage of Epcot. There is also a "soft" sweep point when you enter the backstage area of Epcot around Mile 5. It's generally used for injuries, but they will also pick up runners that have fallen WAY behind (we're talking past time for water stations to close, character "cut" times, etc.).

To answer your follow-up question, yes - if you are asked to board a Parade Bus, you will be offered a medal. You'll be driven to a entrance in the Finish Zone (past the finish line) where they'll take down your bib number for the SAG list, and then you'll go through the area for snacks/water/bananas. This area is past the challenge area and photo area.
Dark side 10K is not the standard course this year it starts at MK parking lot and goes to DHS then finishing at Epcot. This new course almost seems better than the standard one.

Dark side 10K is not the standard course this year it starts at MK parking lot and goes to DHS then finishing at Epcot. This new course almost seems better than the standard one.

That guarantees there will at least be two "hard" sweep spots on course, possibly three and that safe zone will be one you enter park grounds (backstage or park proper).

I was never planning to monitor that race, but let me see if I can get the bike monitor guide for sweep spots.

Thanks for all the info. I'm not giving up just yet. I live on a mountain and my paths are all very hilly, not 10 yards that are flat. One of our favorite paths is a trail in the woods around the gorge right behind my house. This is where I think my foot suffered the most, since it's very uneven, lots of rocks and up and down climbs. Pretty though. I'm hoping that by the time I move to a flat surface like at Disney I'll pick up the pace a lot. DH and I plan to drive down to a walking trail along the river over the weekend. It will be much more like the path at Disney. We plan to try and train there a few times. And we'll keep pushing to get faster, and keeping a watch on the foot so I don't end up so injured I can't walk period.

Thanks for all the info. I'm not giving up just yet. I live on a mountain and my paths are all very hilly, not 10 yards that are flat. One of our favorite paths is a trail in the woods around the gorge right behind my house. This is where I think my foot suffered the most, since it's very uneven, lots of rocks and up and down climbs. Pretty though. I'm hoping that by the time I move to a flat surface like at Disney I'll pick up the pace a lot. DH and I plan to drive down to a walking trail along the river over the weekend. It will be much more like the path at Disney. We plan to try and train there a few times. And we'll keep pushing to get faster, and keeping a watch on the foot so I don't end up so injured I can't walk period.

And don't forget the magic and power of race adrenaline. I generally will end up improving on what I thought I could manage just by being in that race atmosphere. Keep the training going and you may surprise yourself!

Thanks. I am sure we'll be in the last corral, no prior race times to submit. I'll just have to keep pushing to see if I can get the time down. It will be a last minute decision

There is NO reason to assume you'll be in the last. I mean, you might be, but it's not an absolute.

There's no POT submission for the 10k anyway. All there was was the estimate. What did you estimate when you registered?

16mm is counted from the last person to start. So that's a hard target, but it's not like they pull you when YOU go below 16mm unless you're in that last group to cross the start line.

They do.

I was never planning to monitor that race, but let me see if I can get the bike monitor guide for sweep spots

How do you find THAT??? Cool.

There is NO reason to assume you'll be in the last. I mean, you might be, but it's not an absolute.

There's no POT submission for the 10k anyway. All there was was the estimate. What did you estimate when you registered?
Good question, I can't recall for sure. I may have put 12 or 13 min, which is about where what I was at when we first signed up

ETA - I found an email that gave us links to the waiver and has our bib number. The odd part is, maybe this is normal I can't remember from last year, the info online only tells you the corral assignments for the Challenge and the Half, the 10k isn't listed. So I still don't know our corral. I do suspect it will be the last one but mostly that's my gut talking.

I did tell DH I think it's odd they put the slower runners last. I know it's to keep them out of the way of the faster runners but at a course like Disney has there is more than enough room to pass.

Oh, and I saw the path. Gotta admit, I don't care for it quite as much. Lots of road running, which is boring. The appeal of a Disney event is running in the parks

Last edited:
That guarantees there will at least be two "hard" sweep spots on course, possibly three and that safe zone will be one you enter park grounds (backstage or park proper).

I was never planning to monitor that race, but let me see if I can get the bike monitor guide for sweep spots.
How could you even know this, it's a brand new 10k course for Darkside?

Do they hold tight to the 16 min pace requirements for a 10k?
We are supposed to do the Dark Side 10k next month.
I've had a foot issue and it's slowing me down a bit. I'm not going to bother to get up and try if they hold tight to the 16 min pace, I'll never make it. 20 min will be more likely. I'd rather just not go than get swept off the course
Personally, I would give it a whirl. You paid and even if you get swept you get the medal. Just start as close to the front of your corral to give yourself a buffer over the sweepers.

I did tell DH I think it's odd they put the slower runners last. I know it's to keep them out of the way of the faster runners but at a course like Disney has there is more than enough room to pass.

There are so many bottlenecks at Disney runs...I'm glad I'm behind the speedy people. :)

Good question, I can't recall for sure. I may have put 12 or 13 min, which is about where what I was at when we first signed up

With that estimate you won't be in the last corral. I believe you can check either your registration email or your active.com account to see what you put.

ETA - I found an email that gave us links to the waiver and has our bib number. The odd part is, maybe this is normal I can't remember from last year, the info online only tells you the corral assignments for the Challenge and the Half, the 10k isn't listed. So I still don't know our corral. I do suspect it will be the last one but mostly that's my gut talking.

10K and 5K runners don't get their corral info until the expo. It's normal.

I really really think you won't be in the last. Remember, it's a 16 minute mile. There ARE people who do put longer estimated times and are placed appropriately. :)

I generally estimate in that range (I always have high hopes for my training and lack of injuries) and for Light Side last year (I only did the 10K) I was in C (not sure how many corrals they had but I believe I was in the middle). This year I did the challenge (they place you further back if you're doing that and aren't fast) and I was in E, and it seems it went to G.

Dark Side has more corrals, I believe. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter