Question about receipts - Boardwalk area restaurants

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
My husband is going to Orlando for work next week and I'm going to tag along. We'd like to eat at one or two places in WDW but since my husband is traveling for work, he'll need to expense his portion of the meal and it will be a little odd if all the receipts say "Disney" on them. I know that the restaurants in the resorts have Disney on the receipts, but can anyone tell me what the receipts for the Boardwalk area restaurants look like? Do the receipts there look the same as the rest of the Disney restaurants and say "Disney" on them, or are they regular restaurant receipts that don't mention Disney? If the receipts say Disney we'll probably just eat somewhere else (maybe Swan/Dolphin, or somewhere else in Orlando).
Thanks!

Big River Grill is not a Disney restaurant - can't imagine that the receipt would have the word Disney on it unless it refers to Disney's Boardwalk Resort.

My Kouzzina and Boardwalk Bakery receipts from Nov. say "Disney Parks" at the top. Also, my Swan and Dolphin receipts have the restaurant name at the top, followed by "Walt Disney World" 1500 Epcot Resorts BLVD

This is not really answering the OP question, but I'd like to throw it out there for thought.

I travel often for work and am, like most folks, alloted a daily per diem for meals. How I spend that money is irrelevant. The company I work for gives me X dollars based on the geographical location to which I am traveling. As long as I don't exceed the the amount, they pay it without question. If I do, then I am responsible for the excees.

A company is paying for meals because they are sending you away from home where you would normally either fix or buy your own meals. Just as you decide where/what to eat at home, you do the same while on work travel.

Only you and your husband know the policies of the company for which he works. They might say, "no Disney meals allowed". If the policy doesn't, I'm not sure it'd be that big a deal.

This is not really answering the OP question, but I'd like to throw it out there for thought.

I travel often for work and am, like most folks, alloted a daily per diem for meals. How I spend that money is irrelevant. The company I work for gives me X dollars based on the geographical location to which I am traveling. As long as I don't exceed the the amount, they pay it without question. If I do, then I am responsible for the excees.

A company is paying for meals because they are sending you away from home where you would normally either fix or buy your own meals. Just as you decide where/what to eat at home, you do the same while on work travel.

Only you and your husband know the policies of the company for which he works. They might say, "no Disney meals allowed". If the policy doesn't, I'm not sure it'd be that big a deal.

or maybe he is working in Ft Lauderdale and traveling to Disney for a day or two. We did that one year when i was training in Ft Lauderdale and had the family fly down the week so we drove to Disney for a day or two (the company flew me down two days early so we had a free weekend). We didnt expense those meals even though i probably could have. In my head I was thinking they might see it as a personal vacation and seeing "Disney" on the receipt and how far away Orlando is from where the training was held. I agree that its going to rely on the individual company policy though.

Thanks to all who responded. Unfortunately my husband doesn't have a "per diem" or set requirements/guidelines for meal reimbursement. We're planning on eating one meal on property (probably Artist Point) but he thinks it would just look a little odd if all the dinners were at Disney, and is trying to avoid that. It sounds like the Boardwalk area restaurants are out, since they probably have "Disney parks" on the receipt. What about Downtown Disney restaurants - Raglan Road, Portobello? Would those receipts mention Disney as well?

You could cut the top off the receipt....:rolleyes1

Receipt printers malfunction all the time, so I can't imagine anyone would notice if the receipt was messed up a little. I suppose if you did it for ALL of them, then they might get suspicious.

Obviously, you know more about your husband's company than I do, but if he's sent to Orlando for business, then I can't imagine they would care a whole lot about where he eats. I'm assuming they would all be dinners, which would be technically after his working hours, during which the time is his. If they have agreed to pay for his meals during that time, then unless they give him specific rules about what they're willing to pay for, I expect anything, within reason, goes.
Worst case scenario, he gets back from his trip, and they tell him they'll only give him a certain amount, or they hem people with more specific instructions in the future.

Maybe eat at at least one non-Disney meal that has comparable pricing, so they can see that it's not too far out of the ordinary?

Just there yesterday - the receipt says: Big River, Store Number 9817, Lake Buena Vista Fl., 32820. It does note: Cast Member: xxxx, and Table #. On the itemized recipt there is a note at the bottom: Thank you for visiting the Walt Disney World Resort. Have a magical day! On the summary receipt is does not mention Walt Disney World, but it does note Cast Member name.

Here are some of the receipts from our October trip.

At the top the Portobello receipt it just says 1650 Buena Vista Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL. No mention anywhere on the receipt of Disney. Also just says "server."

The Raglan Road receipt says Lake Buena Vist, FL at the top, but at the bottom it says "Thank you for visiting the WDW Resort, Have a Magical Day," but it might be because we charged this meal to our room. It does say "cast member."

We also have a receipt from Yak n Yeti that has no mention of Disney on it. It has an address 775 Merikhe Way, Lake Buena Vista, Fl at the top and it says "server."

The Via Napoli and Chefs receipt likewise only have a store number and Lake Buena Vista, FL at the top. They also have the same notation at the bottom of the receipt like the Raglan Road one and say 'Cast member."

Thanks to all who responded. Unfortunately my husband doesn't have a "per diem" or set requirements/guidelines for meal reimbursement. We're planning on eating one meal on property (probably Artist Point) but he thinks it would just look a little odd if all the dinners were at Disney, and is trying to avoid that. It sounds like the Boardwalk area restaurants are out, since they probably have "Disney parks" on the receipt. What about Downtown Disney restaurants - Raglan Road, Portobello? Would those receipts mention Disney as well?

There is only one way to settle this and that would be for your husband to talk to someone in the accounting department at his work. I'm an accountant and deal with this on a daily basis since I look at all travel related expenses. If the conference is at Disney World, why wouldn't the accounting department expect your husband to eat, well, at Disney World?

Have your husband simply call the Accounts Payable Manager at his work and ask the question. Then you will know.

Whn travelling to Orlando to work, DD and I have gone to meet DH a few times if it falls when we are on a brek. He just turns in the reciepts. It has never been questioned. They only pay for his meals, so we get separate checks.

1) He might be worried about nothing.
2) As a ex-CEO, where people ate was never a problem.
3) The only glitch would be if he was supposed to be eating elsewhere.
4) Like at the conference.

There is only one way to settle this and that would be for your husband to talk to someone in the accounting department at his work. I'm an accountant and deal with this on a daily basis since I look at all travel related expenses. If the conference is at Disney World, why wouldn't the accounting department expect your husband to eat, well, at Disney World?

Have your husband simply call the Accounts Payable Manager at his work and ask the question. Then you will know.

1) He might be worried about nothing.
2) As a ex-CEO, where people ate was never a problem.
3) The only glitch would be if he was supposed to be eating elsewhere.
4) Like at the conference.

I work at a not for profit organization, so we can be more of sticklers for how money is spent during travel than some corporations (imho). The best thing to do is ask what the expectations are, and make decisions based on that. I have attended a few conferences near WDW (all near DTD). As I never asked for a rental car, I was pretty limited to Disney restaurants. I am generally given an amount or an expectation, if my work only covers main course, servers are good at splitting that into a separate check. We never pay for alcohol, so if I have a glass of wine, that is immediately a separate check.

My accountant tells us that whatever we do or eat on a business trip is a write off. Like PPs have said. It shouldn't be a problem unless he was supposed to be somewhere else. He has to eat and unless they tell him where, Or he is ditching the work stuff. I don't see the problem.

Thanks again for the additional responses. He's probably being overly cautious about not wanting all the receipts to say "Disney", but since some of the DTD options seem like good bets, we'll probably head there for at least one meal, and eat at a resort once or twice too. No conference involved, so he won't be "skipping" anything :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter