Question about renting DVC rental from David's and response time

jsand99

Mouseketeer
Hey all. It's been over 24 hours since I put my request in with David's. It's my first time renting DVC points and I'm not completely sure how it works. I requested standard view studio at AKL for Oct 28th through Nov 3rd and the person who helped me said there was availability. I assume that means that room type is available and they have to find someone who can rent the points? I also put in a second and third option if the first is not available. Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes for them to get back to you with the status of your request and give other options if nothing you requested is available?

I have never been the rentee but have been the rentor. If they have availability, they are probably awaiting replies from the potential rentors to accept the offer.

I know I receive emails asking me if I would take the offer. If I don't get back to them in a certain amount of time, they move on to the next potential rentor.

Thanks for the reply. The website and some other forum posts I've read gave me the impression that I should hear something good or bad within 24 hours. Hopefully they come through because the kids are pumped about the thought of staying at AKL.

Your dates are still within the 7-11 month window, so only an AKL owner can book there right now. If David’s doesn’t find an AKL owner with sufficient points to book for you by March 28, any DVC owner with enough points will be able to book. Hopefully they’ll find an AKL owner before that, though, because availability will be better.

Your dates are still within the 7-11 month window, so only an AKL owner can book there right now. If David’s doesn’t find an AKL owner with sufficient points to book for you by March 28, any DVC owner with enough points will be able to book. Hopefully they’ll find an AKL owner before that, though, because availability will be better.

Thanks Carolyn. I was curious about what the 7-11 month window meant. Is that 7-11 months until the check-in date I requested?

What David's means is that the ROOM TYPE you're requesting shows availability on the DVC member resort availability tool (RAT). However, the next step is they need an owner at AKV to book it for you.

Any check in date that is between 11 and 7 months from check-in can only be booked by someone who owns that resort.

Depending on your alternates, they may not be available (room type) at all.

Rental is a combo of ROOM AVAILABLE + POINTS AVAILABLE. David's is now trying to line up points. Demand is much higher than points available via owners.

We put our second option as OKW. If nothing comes up soon, is it best to wait until we're inside the 7 month window before cancelling?

We put our second option as OKW. If nothing comes up soon, is it best to wait until we're inside the 7 month window before cancelling?

Yes, I would wait. At 7 months or less from check-in date, any DVC owner can book at AKL or OKW, so finding an owner to book for you will be much easier. Don’t give up yet! (But if you want to book a cancellable cash reservation, so that y’all have a place to stay no matter what, that’s not a bad idea.)

Yes, I would wait. At 7 months or less from check-in date, any DVC owner can book at AKL or OKW, so finding an owner to book for you will be much easier. Don’t give up yet! (But if you want to book a cancellable cash reservation, so that y’all have a place to stay no matter what, that’s not a bad idea.)

I don't have extensive personal experience or observation. However, based on what I have read there, OKW should still have some availability even during Fall Frenzy (as it's called here). The challenge would be finding an owner willing to book right at 7 months (not sure if it's necessary at OKW, though).

LAX

Heard back from David's today. They haven't found anyone with points for AKV yet. I'm in the queue so hopefully some one will come along. They also told me there is no availability for my dates at OKW.

Heard back from David's today. They haven't found anyone with points for AKV yet. I'm in the queue so hopefully some one will come along. They also told me there is no availability for my dates at OKW.

Didn't realize OKW is that popular. I thought AKV would be sold out before OKW. Perhaps the low point requirement is a bigger draw than the animals!

LAX

Didn't realize OKW is that popular. I thought AKV would be sold out before OKW. Perhaps the low point requirement is a bigger draw than the animals!

LAX
I think it was just one of our days that caused there to be no availability for our dates at OKW.

Is it a good idea to book a backup resort through Disney while I wait on David's and then cancel if David's finds something? You can cancel a resort booked through Disney and get a full refund correct?

Is it a good idea to book a backup resort through Disney while I wait on David's and then cancel if David's finds something? You can cancel a resort booked through Disney and get a full refund correct?

If you’re looking for a reservation during a time that’s popular for DVC owners - which you are, many here call October to December “Fall Frenzy” - then booking a backup is often recommended. (Most owners book their home at 11 months and try to switch at 7.) If you book a room-only reservation you can cancel up to 5 days prior to check-in and get a full refund of your deposit.

If you’re looking for a reservation during a time that’s popular for DVC owners - which you are, many here call October to December “Fall Frenzy” - then booking a backup is often recommended. (Most owners book their home at 11 months and try to switch at 7.) If you book a room-only reservation you can cancel up to 5 days prior to check-in and get a full refund of your deposit.
Thanks for the advice Carolyn. I think we're going to book Pop Century as our back up and stay in the queue at David's until they tell us there no availability.

Well David's just informed me that there's no longer any availability at AKL for my dates. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Hopefully we will enjoy Pop Century and it's newly renovated rooms.

Sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip anyway.

Well David's just informed me that there's no longer any availability at AKL for my dates. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Hopefully we will enjoy Pop Century and it's newly renovated rooms.

Sorry. I love AKL and have stayed there on my BWV points, but not during Fall Frenzy!

We’ve stayed at Pop a couple of times when out of points and liked it, so I hope your family will enjoy it too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter