Question about Star Tours and Rise of the Resistance

Mar_613

Earning My Ears
Little backstory about my ride tolerance:

I'm not a fan of intense rides, so I've always tried to avoid rides with a 🔺️warning, and I hate rides with drops (sometimes i skip out on Pirates out of anxiety over the drops). I was reassured that Indiana Jones wouldn't be too bad since it isn't a coaster or have any huge drops, but the past 3 times I went on it over the years I couldn't keep my eyes open and felt so shakey/clamy afterwards. Oddly enough I can do Smugglers Run as long as I'm engineer and look away from the screen, I still get a bit shakey afterwards, but not nearly as bad as after Indy. I don't get motion sickness, but the adrenaline from being shaken around makes my anxiety shoot through the roof.

All this being said, would you recommend Star Tours and Rise of the Resistance?

I've heard Star Tours is a rougher Smugglers Run, but I'm not too sure about Rise, especially because of the drop near the end. Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated, but I also understand if my random tolerance for rides makes it sound like a shot in the dark.

Yeah, star Tours is really similar to millennium falcon. Rise is a very smooth ride, though it has sudden starts and stops, but you don't feel like you're going over bumps like Indiana Jones. The ending is just a quick feeling of dropping and done, like 1 second and it's over. You almost don't realize it because of the scene, but you also may not like that scene either. Its similar to the millennium falcon when landing back on a planet. Totally worth trying once if you can handle that last part.

I don't particularly like drops either. That said, the drop on Rise is so small it's over by the time you realize what is happening. If you can give it a go at least once to try it, it would be worth it imo.

I think you would be ok with Rise if you look away. Star Tours is far more rough than Smugglers IMO. In particular if you sit in the back on either end of the aisle. I would avoid Star Tours.

I actually think Smugglers is a lot rougher than Star Tours--- but I suppose that might depend on who your pilots are. LOL. They are a similar concept, but Star Tours has a much bigger screen and doesn't feel as closed in as there are long rows of people.

ROTR is really the most incredible ride, but it might be a little rough for you with the sudden stops and starts. It isn't bumpy like Indiana Jones- more like an "oh we need to back up or pivot and try a different direction kind of feel". So if you can handle that kind of movement it might be ok. I don't even remember the drop at the end until people mention it. It is so quick. DD doesn't like drops (we used to have to bribe her onto pirates because she hated those drops in the dark), and the first time we rode ROTR she said "oh no" because she felt like it was getting ready to drop and by the time she got "no" out it was over and she said "Oh -that wasn't bad at all". She says it is nothing and she loves the ride. If you are a Star Wars fan, it is so incredible it might be worth trying once just to see it.

Millenium Falcon - if you have bad pilots, it will be bumpy. but still tolerable. Star Tours definitely the most motion. Rise of the Resistance is actually fairly smooth on level floor with a bit of back and forth of the cars as it moves through the "ship." The drop isn't really much of a drop (just an elevator ride downwards) that is exagerated by the motion on the screen as you "drop" out of the ship, followed by a few seconds of flight with a stop at the end. very short and very tolerable. Definitely RotR not to be missed, but I don't think it is worth $20 pp or 1 hour in line. Should be part of regular LL options (or at least reduced cost if you've paid for Genie+ already).

I have back issues and can't go anywhere near Star Tours. It also makes me queasy. I have not even attempted Smugglers run. I avoid all roller coaster type rides, Indy, etc. Also anything with intense video screens. I was nervous about trying Rise but my physical therapist ended up at Disneyland a few weeks before me and after riding it she said it would be ok for me. She was right! I loved it. It's an incredible ride. It lives up to it's reputation. There is one drop but it's very smooth. As someone above said, you do some fast backing up at points and there are some pivots but it isn't jostly like Indy at all. There was nothing that made me feel queasy like I get on Star Tours.

I actually think Smugglers is a lot rougher than Star Tours--- but I suppose that might depend on who your pilots are.

I found out on my last trip that it REALLY does depend on your pilots. I've had decent to good pilots on the dozen or so times I've been on that ride. But the last time I rode it, our pilots were actually AWFUL and I had no idea it could be that jolt-y. I don't have motion issues, so it didn't bother me, but it was just shocking after much smoother rides over the past 3 years.

Star Tours might be tricky, but I'd definitely go on ROTR at least once, particularly if you've already managed Smugglers' Run. Star Tours has a lot of drops/swerves/stops and is in a fairly confined room. ROTR, on the other hand, only has one drop (no spoilers but it's near the end and there is a visual cue in front of you that will let you know the drop is about to happen) and you are in large open spaces with lots of air currents if that helps. Plus, the visuals of ROTR will be incredibly distracting if you are a Star Wars fan so you may not notice the movement as much your first time through. I definitely think that attraction is worth the risk. Star Tours is also lots of fun but it's nowhere near ROTR in terms of immersive coolness.

I'm not a huge fan of the Star Tours ride so I was apprehensive going into Smuggler's and ROTR for the first time last month. I did fine on both of them! In fact, Rise was so incredible I was shaking my head that I ever considered not riding it. The Dissers were so right when they told me it was more of an experience than a ride. So much to take in! I rode it twice.

Smuggler's was rough. Not gonna lie. But, I made sure I followed Dis advice and asked to be the engineer. Focus on the buttons and you will be fine!

Based on your issues I would say do Rise of the Resistance and skip Star Tours. Rise of the Resistance is next level amazing. Star Tours is fun, but if you had problems with Smuggler's Run than there's a good chance Star Tours might create some issues for you.

Little backstory about my ride tolerance:

I'm not a fan of intense rides, so I've always tried to avoid rides with a 🔺️warning, and I hate rides with drops (sometimes i skip out on Pirates out of anxiety over the drops). I was reassured that Indiana Jones wouldn't be too bad since it isn't a coaster or have any huge drops, but the past 3 times I went on it over the years I couldn't keep my eyes open and felt so shakey/clamy afterwards. Oddly enough I can do Smugglers Run as long as I'm engineer and look away from the screen, I still get a bit shakey afterwards, but not nearly as bad as after Indy. I don't get motion sickness, but the adrenaline from being shaken around makes my anxiety shoot through the roof.

All this being said, would you recommend Star Tours and Rise of the Resistance?

I've heard Star Tours is a rougher Smugglers Run, but I'm not too sure about Rise, especially because of the drop near the end. Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated, but I also understand if my random tolerance for rides makes it sound like a shot in the dark.
Unfortunately I was not able to ride Rise on my trip, but im very happy to say that i am no longer anxious to ride Smugglers Run, I still only trust myself to be engineer, but it's now a ride I enjoy/look forward to instead of dread. 😁

Here is a tip about Star Tours - you will experience more motion if you sit futher from the center of the ride. This is because the simulator has a center of motion and tips along two axes. If you are in the back for example, you will move further than if you are near the center. The center is actually toward the front of the seating area due to the cockpit and screen area. I used to notice that I would get a little sick riding this, but only sometimes, until I learned about the differences. Sitting in the back will usually get me a little nauseus. You can request that a CM seat you toward the center of one of the two front rows (you may have to wait an extra ride cycle). It's actually not that rough overall, but this can still make a difference.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter